Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #23
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

Rather than reply quote I'll tackle everything here:

I have noticed a little throttle lag and like the Sprint Booster idea. Runflats are off tomorrow, Firestone Winterforce 2s on. I'll prob use the runflats until they are done rather than trying to sell them and buy other tires. But maybe not if I get a different experience on the Firestones.

I am also running premium (91 or 93 depending on service station) and auto stop disabled. Granted my avg is probably backlogged with city driving history but it won't budge off of 17.1mpg. Anyone know how to reset that calculation? Mind you I haven't had any time to page through the manual yet- plan to in a week after some law school finals. Tried just resetting the trip odometer. No luck.

Invariably, hearing 26mpg for aggressive driving and 32 for laid back is good news. I have zero traffic snarls to deal with. Maybe some 30-35 mph slow gos when the tourists are around, but it's about 45 miles of 75+ mph highway driving (with some elevation gain and loss +/- 400ft at a time undulating frequently) and 15 miles of 35-55 state highway. Man, I'd be tickled to average 27-28mpg on these drives.

I am interested in these tunes: Sprint, Dinan, etc. Won't happen til after New Years for me. I think I want to get a sense of the car day-to-day before I start tweaking. But I am already salivating at touching up some responsiveness/hp, and jiggering with the coding to add a few more blinks to my blinker, turning off the seatbelt alarm, getting rid of the legal disclaimers, would love to change the moment-to-moment MPG gauge to reflect engine oil temp. Don't even know if that is an option. But honestly pretty freaking cool all these little adjustments. Not like an 02 Subie.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #24
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
Anyone know how to reset that calculation?
Do you have the technology package with iDrive?

I don't recall the steps, but you can easily reset it that way. I have no idea how you do it without iDrive.
      12-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #25
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Do you have the technology package with iDrive?

I don't recall the steps, but you can easily reset it that way. I have no idea how you do it without iDrive.
Yep. I do. I'll get around to sniffing out that process. Not a lot of time for learning the car this week. Gotta learn some other stuff that costs even more than this car
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #26
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Menu - Vehicle Info - Trip Computer - Reset

Last edited by bucketfoot; 12-03-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #27
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
I am interested in these tunes: Sprint, Dinan, etc.
Sprint booster ins't a tune and I have no personal experience with it. I did purchase it as a Christmas gift for my father so I'll be able to check it out after the holidays. From what I can tell it will get rid of the throttle delay the manufactures put in place to preserve fuel efficiency. BMW seem to be a little worse with this. You do get used to it over time and no longer notice it.

Dinan is never something i recommend as it is overly conservative and way over priced.

MHD doesn't appear to be an option based on what they show support for on their site.

JB4 is easy to install but isn't the smoothest tune.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #28
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
Sprint booster ins't a tune and I have no personal experience with it. I did purchase it as a Christmas gift for my father so I'll be able to check it out after the holidays. From what I can tell it will get rid of the throttle delay the manufactures put in place to preserve fuel efficiency. BMW seem to be a little worse with this. You do get used to it over time and no longer notice it.

Dinan is never something i recommend as it is overly conservative and way over priced.

MHD doesn't appear to be an option based on what they show support for on their site.

JB4 is easy to install but isn't the smoothest tune.
Thanks for the clarification. Still getting my sea legs with this stuff. How does this fit in the pantheon of performance adjusters?

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-pedal-tuner

I am just learning the differences between these products and it seems to me that they all adjust coding/electrical signaling to do this or that. This one does so at the connection to the throttle. Others interface where?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am interested in these tunes: Sprint, Dinan, etc.
The two main tunes for our car with the N20 are Dinan and the JB4. As Turbod said the Dinan option is fairly pricey (if I recall it is almost twice the price of the JB4).

Instead of going the full blown Dinan or JB4 route, I initially went with the Dinan Sport tune. Overall I was very happy with the results. However I also started tracking my car and given that I will likely look at other upgrades down the road I sold it and got a JB4.

Quite frankly when it comes to bang for the buck the Dinan Sport or the JB+ (which I do not have experience with) are way better options unless you are eventually going to do a downpipe or other mods.
      12-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Still getting my sea legs with this stuff. How does this fit in the pantheon of performance adjusters?

This, like the Sprint Booster impacts throttle lag. It does nothing to add power.

You need something like the Dinan Stage 1, Dinan Sport, JB4 or JB+ for added horsepower & torque. I think there are a few others, but Dinan and Burger are by far the most used and recommended piggyback tunes.
      12-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #31
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have noticed a little throttle lag and like the Sprint Booster idea.
Before getting something like this, I would first spend some time driving the car in sport mode. This definitely reduces the lag and may be enough for you.
      12-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #32
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Before getting something like this, I would first spend some time driving the car in sport mode. This definitely reduces the lag and may be enough for you.
Absolutely killer clarifications and explanations. And a very smart suggestion re: sport mode. Frankly I need to spend a lot more time in any mode (about 6 hours behind the wheel so far). Hence not even considering pursuing any of these things until at least a month in.

Which is why it's extra helpful to have these explanations. Helps me to think while driving if I want less lag or more power. Or sport mode
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #33
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

And I assume one could add both a Dinan/JB to boost power AND a pedal tuner for lag. Belt and suspenders? Or would that be a logical pairing of mods?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #34
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I assume one could add both a Dinan/JB to boost power AND a pedal tuner for lag. Belt and suspenders? Or would that be a logical pairing of mods?
Yep, if I recall a Dinan/Sprint Booster pairing is what Ja Gio said he has (a lot of stuff to remember in this thread already!).
      12-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #35
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

We have a 2015 as well - the turbo 4 version. We got it for my wife about 1.5 years ago with 55K miles on it to replace her '05 X3. It was a former lease vehicle. So far so good, it's been a great vehicle in the 20K miles or so we've owned it. We had the 60K major service done at 65K miles, and also had the transmission fluid flushed and changed - as we always did with her X3. BMW says their vehicles have 'lifetime' transmission fluid, but don't you believe it. If you want to transmission to last I highly recommend you have the fluid flushed and changed every 30K miles or so. Most owners never do this and many (imo) transmissions fail way early because of toasted fluid.

Oh and my wife is a big fan of the seat and steering wheel heaters. I'm surprised how quick the vehicle is too, a little rocket!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #36
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
also had the transmission fluid flushed
Change yes, but I would never recommend a transmission flush on any car.
      12-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #37
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Quote:
Burger actually has their own throttle pedal tuner that I'm talking about.

I can't see them being very different and I like the Burger price better
Cool! I didn’t know they have this product. Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #38
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
We have a 2015 as well - the turbo 4 version. We got it for my wife about 1.5 years ago with 55K miles on it to replace her '05 X3. It was a former lease vehicle. So far so good, it's been a great vehicle in the 20K miles or so we've owned it. We had the 60K major service done at 65K miles, and also had the transmission fluid flushed and changed - as we always did with her X3. BMW says their vehicles have 'lifetime' transmission fluid, but don't you believe it. If you want to transmission to last I highly recommend you have the fluid flushed and changed every 30K miles or so. Most owners never do this and many (imo) transmissions fail way early because of toasted fluid.

Oh and my wife is a big fan of the seat and steering wheel heaters. I'm surprised how quick the vehicle is too, a little rocket!
Good to hear! I'll keep that in mind. Actually, and not that anecdote means anything, but it's always nice to hear folks with the same ride/same mileage saying that they've been pleased over the run of time. Prob gonna be putting more like 25k/year. But I don't think that'll be a game changer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #39
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agree with everything you’ve said, bucketfoot. Just curious, I’ve never liked my sport mode. Can’t put my finger on it but I rarely use it. It just doesn’t seem to be doing what I expect. Horrible explanation, I know. Do you use it?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #40
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
Agree with everything you’ve said, bucketfoot. Just curious, I’ve never liked my sport mode. Can’t put my finger on it but I rarely use it. It just doesn’t seem to be doing what I expect. Horrible explanation, I know. Do you use it?
Trying to post photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #41
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Congrats. The e84 X1 is a good car based on the e91 chassis. I run dinan sport for two years on now. No poblem. I can control boost settings via dinan phone app. My wife is the main driver. She seems to like it. The trunk is a bit small. My 330i is more spacious and has higher interior quality.
The X1 with winter tires is very formidable in snow conditions. No problem even on deep snow.

Change all the drivetrain fluid.
Also don't use ASS and keep up with oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #42
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
Just curious, I’ve never liked my sport mode. Can’t put my finger on it but I rarely use it. It just doesn’t seem to be doing what I expect. Horrible explanation, I know. Do you use it?
Yes, I drive in it most of the time. Two main reasons:
  1. Part of this is my driving, but in my commute I tend to change lanes pretty frequently to get around slower traffic and I don't like the lag in normal mode.
  2. My drive also consists of stretches of 25 MPH residential zones and I find it very hard to maintain a slow speed with the lower RPMs in normal mode. Holding at 25-30 MPH is very easy in sport.
      12-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #43
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
The JB4 has a "Throttle" adjustment which changes the way boost comes on. It will make the car feel more eager but it will also just boost more which will impact your fuel economy more than a pedal tuner.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #44
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Change yes, but I would never recommend a transmission flush on any car.
Why?
Appreciate 0