XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

01-06-2020, 02:52 AM   #1
Nemesys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84

Cool BMW E84 Idrive Controller installation

Hi,

I own a BMW E84 2015 model. This car originally doesn't come with entertainment system or idrive controller. So i decided to install an android system.

I already bought an android screen from ebay and it came with a fake idrive controller. I do not want to install the controller which came with the android system as it looks very plastic and doesn't suit my BMW interior. So i decided to get the original BMW idrive controller from a supplier.

My mechanic has advised me to check whether the controller comes with necessary cables which connects to the android device. Unfortunately the BMW supplier told me that it doesn't come with cables only the controller will be sold and to contact the local BMW dealer for further query.

I do not know which cable to buy as i do not want to purchase the idrive controller before hand (Cost £350). I'm stuck in the middle with an already purchased android system.

Another solution mechanic told me to strip the car and see whether a cable is already inside my car. I do not want to do this as i have to incur further cost for stripping the car.

Does anyone have experience in fitting an original idrive controller to an android device? Please shed me some light on this issue. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:58 AM   #2
Mr. Snow White
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesys View Post
Hi,

I own a BMW E84 2015 model. This car originally doesn't come with entertainment system or idrive controller. So i decided to install an android system.

I already bought an android screen from ebay and it came with a fake idrive controller. I do not want to install the controller which came with the android system as it looks very plastic and doesn't suit my BMW interior. So i decided to get the original BMW idrive controller from a supplier.

My mechanic has advised me to check whether the controller comes with necessary cables which connects to the android device. Unfortunately the BMW supplier told me that it doesn't come with cables only the controller will be sold and to contact the local BMW dealer for further query.

I do not know which cable to buy as i do not want to purchase the idrive controller before hand (Cost £350). I'm stuck in the middle with an already purchased android system.

Another solution mechanic told me to strip the car and see whether a cable is already inside my car. I do not want to do this as i have to incur further cost for stripping the car.

Does anyone have experience in fitting an original idrive controller to an android device? Please shed me some light on this issue. Much appreciated.
Hi Nemesys

I ran into a similar issue. I purchased a 2012 without iDrive. However, I was so sure I'd get an iDrive controller, that I ordered my android head unit without the controller.

After a great deal of research a ran into a thread in which someone tried to modify an iDrive to controller to work wirelessly with his android unit. Unfortunately I don't have a link to it, but I'm sure it can be found.

In this thread he described an incredibly lengthy process involving sending his controller to someone in another country to do coding for him. His project had amounted to months of work and what not yet complete. At this point I essentially caved and decided I wasn't going to put that much work into it. However, if you're that committed, I'm sure there's a way.

Id suggest you go ahead and install the android controller for the time being as it doesn't cause any damage to your vehicle and fits oem into the coin holder thingy. Then, if and when you manage to get the iDrive controller sorted, you can swap them.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share my two cents based on my research.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0