Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Xenon Bulb Retaining Clip

Hi guys.

Anyone know if this can be replaced? BMW said this is part of the headlight assembly and is not sold separately.

Why would I need to buy a full headlight to replace a broken clip that holds the bulb?

I see that a similar part is replaceable in other car makes so I'm just wondering if this can be done on E84.

12-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda View Post
Hi guys.

Anyone know if this can be replaced? BMW said this is part of the headlight assembly and is not sold separately.

Why would I need to buy a full headlight to replace a broken clip that holds the bulb?

I see that a similar part is replaceable in other car makes so I'm just wondering if this can be done on E84.

How did it break? I bought my X1 used and the xenon bulb was loose. I tried to push it back in and it would always come loose again. I was fearing it was broken, but after watching a youtube video on a 135i xenon diy, I finally understood how to maneuver the tab. If my memory serves me correct, the tab that holds the bulb in is the same as the 135i and is completely different from the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
jinda
Private
Rep

I bought it used also 3 years ago and discovered that the clips are bent on the passenger side when I check the headlight because it's not moving when I use high beam. I realized the bulb is not mounted and just sitting there.

From then I just usually mount it back every time it gets unmounted. But I'm in the northeast and the roads as crap and it falls off every time I hit some bumps. Been trying to look for this part but I cant find any so I thought I'll ask here if anyone experienced the same. My local shop tried to unbent some clips using his hand by just reaching in but its still not enough to hold the bulb firmly.

I do not have the OEM bulb when I got the car so I think this was bent by the 1st owner trying to replace the bulb.

Are you talking about the tab that slides? is it the one I encircled in yellow? I'm trying to reach that but its really hard due to the tank blocking the access. I just actually slid my phone in a tight space to take a photo.

12-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda View Post
I bought it used also 3 years ago and discovered that the clips are bent on the passenger side when I check the headlight because it's not moving when I use high beam. I realized the bulb is not mounted and just sitting there.

From then I just usually mount it back every time it gets unmounted. But I'm in the northeast and the roads as crap and it falls off every time I hit some bumps. Been trying to look for this part but I cant find any so I thought I'll ask here if anyone experienced the same. My local shop tried to unbent some clips using his hand by just reaching in but its still not enough to hold the bulb firmly.

I do not have the OEM bulb when I got the car so I think this was bent by the 1st owner trying to replace the bulb.

Are you talking about the tab that slides? is it the one I encircled in yellow? I'm trying to reach that but its really hard due to the tank blocking the access. I just actually slid my phone in a tight space to take a photo.

Yes the yellow circled tab, that's it. That is what locks and unlocks the bulb.

Your problem sounds like what I went through. Basically my driver side left side bulb was loose and kept falling out after trying to push it back into place (did this for a whole year lol). Once I watched the youtube video and also compared and played around with the passenger side light that was secured properly in place, it was fairly simple to replace.

Edit: Those clips surrounding the bulb hole that you circled in red don't do anything to hold it in place, I would say they are more of a reference to guide the proper fitment. Once you figure out the orientation of the yellow circled tab for whats locked and unlocked, you should be fine. The next only hangup you can have, is when installing the new bulb, make sure the bulb is seated securely/flush/level before you turn it to the locked position. First time I installed and locked it in place, the light projection was pointing up in a round shape because I didn't seat the bulb properly even though it was locked in.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
jinda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
Yes the yellow circled tab, that's it. That is what locks and unlocks the bulb.

Your problem sounds like what I went through. Basically my driver side left side bulb was loose and kept falling out after trying to push it back into place (did this for a whole year lol). Once I watched the youtube video and also compared and played around with the passenger side light that was secured properly in place, it was fairly simple to replace.

Edit: Those clips surrounding the bulb hole that you circled in red don't do anything to hold it in place, I would say they are more of a reference to guide the proper fitment. Once you figure out the orientation of the yellow circled tab for whats locked and unlocked, you should be fine. The next only hangup you can have, is when installing the new bulb, make sure the bulb is seated securely/flush/level before you turn it to the locked position. First time I installed and locked it in place, the light projection was pointing up in a round shape because I didn't seat the bulb properly even though it was locked in.
I tried it just now. I used a pen to turn the tab since its really tight.
It looks like the bulb is mounted now more inward compared to before.
I'll check it again after driving for a while if it stays.

Thank you