XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Outdoor Landscape lights

I have been purchasing solar light to mark the entrance to my driveway and up light some trees. I have used cheap AMAZON solar light, they work fair and last a season. I have purchased some better solar lights and they also work fair and last a season.

I am going to run power top these areas and install low voltage lights. Looking for suggestions for both light to make the left and rigth of the driveway and also the up lights on the trees.

I would like to be able to set a dawn to dusk schedule and control them from an APP on my phone.

can anyone recommend a system or line of lights they are happy with.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

You're in luck this is what I do for a living. If you have a SiteOne near you I would recommend their house brand, ProTrade. Make sure to get them in antique brass and not aluminum no matter the brand you go with.

Their simple path lights are a pretty good deal, solid brass and have a lifetime warranty. 2.5w LED placed 10 foot apart near a drive will give you great light.

For trees it really depend of the size. For most trees MR16 uprights will get the job done, 2-3 per tree. 7w or higher and 60degree. For Kelvin levels I would recommend 2700k or 3000k.

As far as a timer you can get the Brilliance WiFi timer which will go inside the transformer. You can set it to dawn and dusk and it will adapt as days pass.

If you have crummy signal a Intermatic solar hour timer works great. Doesn't need wifi and adjusts for dusk and dawn times automatically. About $30 from HD.

Use either 12/2 or 14/2 low voltage wire. Which one will depend on the number of watts pulled and distance.

For the transformer I would recommend the ProTrade 300w since it's in stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty. Whatever you do stay away from ANY lights or transformers from home stores. I replace those constantly, most lights barely last a year.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 10
2000cs3502.50
jsf7211111.00
RickFLM410981.00
Dino GT35134.50
wrickem2101.00
DocL1930.00
P111572.00
paquet629.50
      03-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Oh and other good brands are Alliance, FX Luminare, Vista and true Kichler (not box store). ProTrade and Alliance have the best warranty.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3502.50
jsf7211111.00
      03-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
You're in luck this is what I do for a living. If you have a SiteOne near you I would recommend their house brand, ProTrade. Make sure to get them in antique brass and not aluminum no matter the brand you go with.

Their simple path lights are a pretty good deal, solid brass and have a lifetime warranty. 2.5w LED placed 10 foot apart near a drive will give you great light.

For trees it really depend of the size. For most trees MR16 uprights will get the job done, 2-3 per tree. 7w or higher and 60degree. For Kelvin levels I would recommend 2700k or 3000k.

As far as a timer you can get the Brilliance WiFi timer which will go inside the transformer. You can set it to dawn and dusk and it will adapt as days pass.

If you have crummy signal a Intermatic solar hour timer works great. Doesn't need wifi and adjusts for dusk and dawn times automatically. About $30 from HD.

Use either 12/2 or 14/2 low voltage wire. Which one will depend on the number of watts pulled and distance.

For the transformer I would recommend the ProTrade 300w since it's in stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty. Whatever you do stay away from ANY lights or transformers from home stores. I replace those constantly, most lights barely last a year.

Hope this helps!
Why not aluminum? I live at the beach and salt corrodes everything. I’d need plastic, aluminum (ideally anodized), or stainless. I don’t think I’d be real happy with brass or copper, even though the look is nice when new.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #5
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks very much for the advice. I do have a siteone near my home.

I'll check out the website tonight and post up my list if you would not mind critiquing it. How deep do i need to bury the wire?

Also any tips for getting under a drive way other than breaking it up?

These will be long runs, I will measure that get your suggestion on transformer and wire gauges.

Thanks again

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Thanks very much for the advice. I do have a siteone near my home.

I'll check out the website tonight and post up my list if you would not mind critiquing it. How deep do i need to bury the wire?

Also any tips for getting under a drive way other than breaking it up?

These will be long runs, I will measure that get your suggestion on transformer and wire gauges.

Thanks again
Best thing is to use an expansion joint then silicone in. I typically use a boring machine which wouldn't be practical for a home owner.

Sounds good on the list and measurements.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #7
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Why not aluminum? I live at the beach and salt corrodes everything. I’d need plastic, aluminum (ideally anodized), or stainless. I don’t think I’d be real happy with brass or copper, even though the look is nice when new.

Aluminum is coated in a powered coat finish to look like brass or copper or even just plain black. The issue is corrosion, the lights finish begins to flake usually around the 5 year mark depending on site conditions. Plastic is an option but typically those are homeowner grade and aren't sealed from the elements well or if bumped snapped off. Actually just replaced a system this week for the flaking issue.

Lighting should blend into the landscape not be super visual. You don't want to see the light being emitted which just ruins the effect. Unless you are going for that look with a highly decorated light. Of course path lights are the exception. Copper is always nice but turns black or green over time as where the brass is already antiqued so it's a nice dark brown color. If it was polished brass it would be more of an issue. I have many systems made out of brass and copper that 20 years later still work like new. Aluminum is usually junked pretty quick since once it does start to corrode they will leak.

I don't live near an ocean so I can only speak for my area. Hope this make sense. Most transformers are luckily moving towards stainless, thankfully.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      03-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

at my house I used Bega lights and I was very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #9
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
at my house I used Bega lights and I was very happy with them.
Way too expensive, by around 3-5 times for aluminum fixtures. Very commercial looking as well. I think Costco had some knockoffs of those the other day that were color changing. On a modern house they may make sense but not for that price.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #10
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Aluminum is coated in a powered coat finish to look like brass or copper or even just plain black. The issue is corrosion, the lights finish begins to flake usually around the 5 year mark depending on site conditions. Plastic is an option but typically those are homeowner grade and aren't sealed from the elements well or if bumped snapped off. Actually just replaced a system this week for the flaking issue.

Lighting should blend into the landscape not be super visual. You don't want to see the light being emitted which just ruins the effect. Unless you are going for that look with a highly decorated light. Of course path lights are the exception. Copper is always nice but turns black or green over time as where the brass is already antiqued so it's a nice dark brown color. If it was polished brass it would be more of an issue. I have many systems made out of brass and copper that 20 years later still work like new. Aluminum is usually junked pretty quick since once it does start to corrode they will leak.

I don't live near an ocean so I can only speak for my area. Hope this make sense. Most transformers are luckily moving towards stainless, thankfully.
I appreciate your response; that makes sense about coated aluminum. To give you a feel for ocean living, we bought steel outdoor furniture and one year later it was very rusty (even with regular cleaning), and only a few months after that unsafe. Cast aluminum furniture, which was older, continues to be like new (other than the steel swivels etc which are disappearing). Poly wood also lasts well here. AC compressors will not last 10 years, 5 is common. The wiring for outdoor lights needs to be fully water (salt) sealed, as do the fixtures. I love it here, but everything corrodes!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I appreciate your response; that makes sense about coated aluminum. To give you a feel for ocean living, we bought steel outdoor furniture and one year later it was very rusty (even with regular cleaning), and only a few months after that unsafe. Cast aluminum furniture, which was older, continues to be like new (other than the steel swivels etc which are disappearing). Poly wood also lasts well here. AC compressors will not last 10 years, 5 is common. The wiring for outdoor lights needs to be fully water (salt) sealed, as do the fixtures. I love it here, but everything corrodes!

Man that's terrible, guess it's the price you pay for the beauty of the coast. How do your cars hold up? We use to do snow removal but got of it, I was tired watching all my trucks turning into a dust pile. Plus some commcercial clients started wanting calcium which would eat the electrical system.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man that's terrible, guess it's the price you pay for the beauty of the coast. How do your cars hold up? We use to do snow removal but got of it, I was tired watching all my trucks turning into a dust pile. Plus some commcercial clients started wanting calcium which would eat the electrical system.
Back in the day cars disappeared pretty quickly. Now they are better protected from the factory, but if you get a nick in the paint it has to be repaired or the cancer starts. With more care any car is fine, I prefer less care so older cars (not classics) for everyday use. Garaging is fine, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 02:33 PM   #13
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hi, really appreciate your help on this.

I did measure and here are the distances. Please let me know what type of cable to order, any connectors I may need, transformers, and light suggestion.

It’s circular drive way for

2 lights at 100 feet (driver was markers)
2 lights at 120 feet (driveway markers)
12lights to up light large trees. Would like to light front and back of all 6 freer. Trees are 60 feet

All distances are from house. Perhaps transformer will be closer. Right now I don’t have power past the house.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Already got wife on board with the bronze color for durability.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #14
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Hi, really appreciate your help on this.

I did measure and here are the distances. Please let me know what type of cable to order, any connectors I may need, transformers, and light suggestion.

It’s circular drive way for

2 lights at 100 feet (driver was markers)
2 lights at 120 feet (driveway markers)
12lights to up light large trees. Would like to light front and back of all 6 freer. Trees are 60 feet

All distances are from house. Perhaps transformer will be closer. Right now I don’t have power past the house.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Already got wife on board with the bronze color for durability.

You'll need a 300 watt transformer. Now if you don't want to go under the drive consider two transformers.

Use 14/2 wire on all but the 12 lights. You'll need 12/2 on those. I would recommend you run a couple runs of wire to those trees. You may have low volts at the end of the run if you dont. I would run a 12/2 line in the middle of each say grouping of 6 trees and then T off to 3 trees using 14/2. Hope that makes sense? Not bronze color but actual brass in antique bronze finish. The color alone could be aluminum.

Use drycon or the protrade silicon filled wire nuts for all connections. Stay away from any crimp type connectors.

I would honestly go with the protrade, best warranty and best deal. Same with the LED lamps. If you hit up siteone you can show them the photos of the trees and they'll make sure you have the right lamps. Most of the guys that work there have been in the field before. I will tell you stuff is in short supply right now with lighting. WolfCreek which is the competitor of Siteone said it's going to be a rough year.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 02:10 AM   #15
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the detailed advise. I’ll take pictures and order over the next week. I have my junky solar crap working until the good stiff comes in. It’s not a hot button project but I’m checking off my list of things to do. Rather do it right than do it fast.

Solar lights just not making it to midnight anymore. Used
To go till like 3am.

Quote:
You'll need a 300 watt transformer. Now if you don't want to go under the drive consider two transformers.

Use 14/2 wire on all but the 12 lights. You'll need 12/2 on those. I would recommend you run a couple runs of wire to those trees. You may have low volts at the end of the run if you dont. I would run a 12/2 line in the middle of each say grouping of 6 trees and then T off to 3 trees using 14/2. Hope that makes sense? Not bronze color but actual brass in antique bronze finish. The color alone could be aluminum.

Use drycon or the protrade silicon filled wire nuts for all connections. Stay away from any crimp type connectors.

I would honestly go with the protrade, best warranty and best deal. Same with the LED lamps. If you hit up siteone you can show them the photos of the trees and they'll make sure you have the right lamps. Most of the guys that work there have been in the field before. I will tell you stuff is in short supply right now with lighting. WolfCreek which is the competitor of Siteone said it's going to be a rough year.
Appreciate 0