XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-01-2023, 02:42 AM   #1
Reeeeeeee
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive 2015

Talking do i have a front diff ? or just rear 2015 SDRIVE

Hi does my car have a front differential? or just only a rear one? id assume it has both

2015 BMW X1 Sdrive

also how often do i change the fluid on this? is it "lifetime" or does BMW acutely have a internal service i cant find anything in the owners manual

PS can i use non BMW diff oil ? what oil does it take wish it wasn't so annoying BMW hides all the useful sh%t in the book
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

sDrive is rear wheel drive, xDrive is all wheel.

It is a "lifetime fluid" per BMW, yes. There are differing opinion on when to change it, but every 35-50k miles is a good place to start. 75w90 is standard I believe. Yes, you can use non OE fluids, many people like liquimoly products. However there are many options and you should do your research and decide for yourself. To be frank, all of the answers you are looking for can be found on this forum. If the search function isn't giving what you need, just type in what you need with "bimmerpost" or "forum" and I'm sure you'll get endless threads of information.

Additionally, the E84 shares almost all of its drivetrain/suspension with the LCI E90 cars. So if you can find what you're looking for, many of the info from the E90 forum applies as well.

Welcome and enjoy your E84!

Last edited by Westies; 03-02-2023 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 03:20 AM   #3
Reeeeeeee
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westies View Post
sDrive is rear wheel drive, xDrive is all wheel.

It is a "lifetime fluid" per BMW, yes. There are differing opinion on when to change it, but every 35-50k miles is a good place to start. 75w90 is standard I believe. Yes, you can use non OE fluids, many people like liquimoly products. However there are many options and you should do your research and decide for yourself. To be frank, all of the answers you are looking for can be found on this forum. If the search function isn't giving what you need, just type in what you need with "bimmerpost" or "forum" and I'm sure you'll get endless threads of information.

Additionally, the E84 shares almost all of its drivetrain/suspension with the LCI E90 cars. So if you can find what you're looking for, many of the info from the E90 forum applies as well.

Welcome and enjoy your E84!
Yeah just wish there was a table chart i could refer too lol dealer wasted my time many times. I will just buy liquidmoly 75w-90 its my first car with a diff so not sure if i have one case in the front and one in the rear from the videos I've seen they had both but just wanted to confirm o.o so i can get enough qts
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I changed my 14 S28i rear diff gear oil at approx 3k miles. Just like the engine oil, it was clear of any wear metals. I had to rig a one gallon plastic push dispenser to a L shaped thin cooper tube I bent, and buy the big hex plug wrench.

I put in 1 one liter jug of Mobil 1 gear oil 75w90. It needed just a tad more so instead of opening new bottle I just put some of the still clean oil I sucked out back in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #5
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

XDrive
- Front Open Diff (GL5 75w90)
- Transfer Case (BMW DTF TF0870 aka f'n angel tears)
- Rear Open Diff (GL5 75w90)

SDrive
- Rear Open Diff only (GL5 75w90)

AFAIK e84 X1 does not have rear LSD.

Depending on model, transmission may be ZF 8 speed or ZF 6 speed. Fluid requirements are differ. When in doubt stick with Lifeguard-series from ZF. Transmission filter should be replaced too.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0