XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-27-2023, 09:46 PM   #1
Shimmi
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2014

Squeaky Belt After Repair

I had my valves cover gasket, oil filter gasket, and oil pan gasket replaced today. After driving home, I hear a lot of squeaking from the belt. I tried calling the mechanic but he was closed for the weekend. I sprayed belt cleaner on it, and it stopped for a little bit. Any thoughts on a fix or what to do besides waiting until Monday when the shop opens?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 11:07 PM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Having recently done both the OFH and OC gaskets, it's very possible to get oil and coolant on the belt and some of the pulleys of they aren't covered. Any sign of that?
      01-27-2023, 11:22 PM   #3
Shimmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Having recently done both the OFH and OC gaskets, it's very possible to get oil and coolant on the belt and some of the pulleys of they aren't covered. Any sign of that?
The pulleys have black stuff all over them; it does not appear to be oil but a thick black build-up. I figured the cleaning spray would handle it, but after about 15 minutes of running, it returned.

Last edited by Shimmi; 01-28-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:36 PM   #4
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Oil on belt is generally not good long-term wise. That's why folks fix OFHG leaks because oil tends to drip onto belt.

Curious, is your X1 28i or 35i? What mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 10:02 PM   #5
Shimmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Oil on belt is generally not good long-term wise. That's why folks fix OFHG leaks because oil tends to drip onto belt.

Curious, is your X1 28i or 35i? What mileage?
It's a 2014 35i with 72,800 miles. Yeah I'm just going to bring it back to the mechanic first thing Monday. Wasn't there at all before repairs so I think they should fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 08:46 AM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmi View Post
It's a 2014 35i with 72,800 miles. Yeah I'm just going to bring it back to the mechanic first thing Monday. Wasn't there at all before repairs so I think they should fix it.
Is the black sludge caked on oil/grime?

First thought is that it's oil from removal of the OFH and/or oil cooler line. Unless they completely removed the lines and let them drain before disconnecting them from the oil cooler, they'll be full of oil even if after removing the oil drain plug. Ripe candidate for spilling oil on the belt/pulley area.

Dumb question but there is no oil leaking out from where the lines install into the oil cooler? Should bevable to tell just by popping the hood and getting a visual or running a finger around them.
      01-29-2023, 09:54 AM   #7
Shimmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Is the black sludge caked on oil/grime?

First thought is that it's oil from removal of the OFH and/or oil cooler line. Unless they completely removed the lines and let them drain before disconnecting them from the oil cooler, they'll be full of oil even if after removing the oil drain plug. Ripe candidate for spilling oil on the belt/pulley area.

Dumb question but there is no oil leaking out from where the lines install into the oil cooler? Should bevable to tell just by popping the hood and getting a visual or running a finger around them.
Seems more like caked on grime on the pulleys. No obvious oil on the hoses or anywhere visually obvious.
Appreciate 0