Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-25-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
Fingaluna
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 XDrive28i

2012 X1 Cannot Start Bluetooth

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2012 X1 28i.
I got it for a very good price, knowing that I'd have to invest some effort/money into it.

The iDrive system works well, except Bluetooth.
I cannot get Bluetooth to turn on.

Going through the Telephone menu, I can get to the screen asking me to activate Bluetooth.
I check that option, and it works for a few seconds and then says Pairing Failed, giving me the option to Try Again, or display Bluetooth info.

Same thing happens when I go through the Bluetooth audio menu.

I have done the iDrive reset with the power button. That allowed the system to display the Bluetooth update versions (which were blank before), but have not helped to enable Bluetooth.

I checked the VIN on the BMW website, and is says that my system is up to date.

I understand that there may be an ability to reset the Bluetooth to factory settings using Bimmer-Code.

Questions:
1. How is the Bluetooth call quality on these cars? Should I forget about fixing the Bluetooth and just get a headset?
2. Do I need the Premium version of Bimmer-Code, or is the Free one good enough.
3. I have a generic OBD2 Bluetooth reader. Likely won't work, but will try to see if it will connect. What is the least expensive OBD2 reader that works with Bimmer-Code?
4. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Does anyone have advice on where to start next... I understand that it's usually the software which is the issue with Bluetooth on these cars, so I'm planning to start there. Open to advice.
5. No idea if the original software can be re-flashed on these cars. I'm sure that the dealership would love to take a lot of money from me for this.
6. Does anyone know a non-dealer techs in Toronto that is a good bet for diagnosis / service of the Bluetooth on these cars?

Thank you All!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Did you turn on Bluetooth on your phone?
Some older BMWs need you to restart BT in thy car the first time. Try turning off BT then turn it on and scan to see if you can find your car on your phone
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 09:41 PM   #3
Fingaluna
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 XDrive28i

Thx Cwickberg, I got the combox scanned and it has a fault, so I'm looking for a replacement...
Cheers!
Appreciate 0