Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Location of Camera module, Comfort access, and PDC module, and repair

Hey guys. Had some fun today, reviving some old modules from my car.

All the PDC, Camera, and Comfort access modules are under the rear right storage cubby. Simply remove that and find all 3 there.

Had an issue a week ago and had water intrusion in the rear area, which got on my amplifier connector, PDC, Camera, and Comfort access modules. BMW put these all facing up and water just puddles in the connector with any leak (in this case, sunroof.)

Luckily, I unplugged and removed the amp right away, cleaned it off and dried it, and it was fine after re-attatching.

Unluckily, the PDC module was totally shot. The camera module requires the PDC mod to work before it can also function. An IC died on the board.

The Comfort access module had a pin short (power pin) and fall off.

I was able to remove a pin from my PDC Module and solder it to the CA module and clean it up, got it working.

I snagged a used PDC module from a local pick n pull, unfortunately this one also had water damage from sitting, but not when it was powered up. I was able to splice parts from the two to get a working module.

Some photos from the job. I also found that neither require coding when swapping, since the CA module only transmits key data, the CAS validates it for starting.

I've actually got a video with testing data I'll get edited shortly, but I found the common fault seems to be these cheap 200 uF capacitors, which were easy to solder on.

Cheers!
Attached Images

2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
domerX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 E84 Sdrive

I have the same failures

2015 sDrive with CAS/PDC/Nav/etc. First. I am super impressed with your repair. I wish I had that skill with board repair or could find someone to do it. Second. I have what looks like the same sunroof leak down the c-pillar flooding my control units. (My front drains are fully clogged). I replaced the CAS controller because my start and hatch keyless unlock/start wouldn't work (doors worked the entire time). Reinitiallized my key after swapping in a used module and got comfort entry/keyless start back.
My current issue is that my camera won't show. I bought a used PDC controller and camera controller (supposedly tested and functioning), but the PDC screen shows all the camera options grayed out. Do I need to initialize something to get the camera turned on? Is it telling me that my camera is fried as well? Did you have any of these issues restoring your system?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:39 AM   #3
Scratchboat
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by domerX1 View Post
2015 sDrive with CAS/PDC/Nav/etc. First. I am super impressed with your repair. I wish I had that skill with board repair or could find someone to do it. Second. I have what looks like the same sunroof leak down the c-pillar flooding my control units. (My front drains are fully clogged). I replaced the CAS controller because my start and hatch keyless unlock/start wouldn't work (doors worked the entire time). Reinitiallized my key after swapping in a used module and got comfort entry/keyless start back.
My current issue is that my camera won't show. I bought a used PDC controller and camera controller (supposedly tested and functioning), but the PDC screen shows all the camera options grayed out. Do I need to initialize something to get the camera turned on? Is it telling me that my camera is fried as well? Did you have any of these issues restoring your system?
Did you ever get your backup camera working again? I have similar issue - my camera controller module (metal box with circuit board inside) died from sitting in water. Before I purchase a used replacement ($150 - $350 on eBay), I'd like to know if the replacement will be "plug & play" or require some form of coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:54 PM   #4
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchboat View Post
Did you ever get your backup camera working again? I have similar issue - my camera controller module (metal box with circuit board inside) died from sitting in water. Before I purchase a used replacement ($150 - $350 on eBay), I'd like to know if the replacement will be "plug & play" or require some form of coding.
Same situation here. Did you ever figure it out??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 02:47 PM   #5
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by domerX1 View Post

You need to make sure the part numbers match. There is PDC rear only, PDC front+rear, and PDC front+rear+camera. If thats all good, its likely a coding issue, it may be from a car that had a certain option turned off. You could possible get this done with protools VO coding your car.

The reason being, you will have certain factory coding for your car based on as ordered option. This is per module, which will match to VO coding. The module is coded for whatever it came from, may not be right options.

Roughly. That's my guess as to the issue if the module is good.

If you buy a used module, it will only be plug and play if your car and that car are same options, I.E. PDC F+R/CIC/Camera.

there are E9x guys who want our modules, because we have the only one that can be used on an e9x to retrofit f+r pdc and camera to an e90 with cic.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0