XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-04-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

My very first oil change on a BMW was a success. Couldn't believe how simple it was on this car. Went with Castrol European Blend 0W-40 and a Mann Filter.

The car was on Rhino ramps so the drain hole was positioned for maximum drainage. I also took the advise offered here and loosened the filter housing and oil cap (more oil started coming out). Additionally, I used the "measure what comes out" methodology to determine what should go in. Again, something I read here. I can safely say I put slightly less than what actually came out (I couldn't believe all the oil she had).

The drained oil filled an entire 5qt and 1qt jug to the rim (past the original oil markers). I spilled a little and still poured about ½qt into another 5qt jug. That part had me scratching my head, so I put in 6qt and measured. The results showed a hairline below the max-line of the attached image seen here. Therefore, I and added ½qt more and this measurement (see image) is the end result (I stopped there). To be honest, this car probably had 6.6qt if I were to guess.

I maybe put in 6.4qt (if that) and I've seen a few places online and here calling for 6.1qt. In the following video, she flashes 6.1qt (she's pretty awesome, BTW).

So far (fingers crossed), the car is running quite nicely and "appears" to run/idle smoother/quieter. However this may be my butt dyno/placebo effect. 😂

This coming weekend I'll check the air filter next. I'm just under 33k miles.

In closing, I will say next time I'll only use 6qt exactly. Kinda hard to measure how much 6 ".1qt" is from a 5qt jug.

Finally, should I let some oil out? Id have to drain the whole thing then put it back in as pulling the plug and quickly putting it back in (while draining) would be quite messy. However, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thoughts anyone?
      12-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Please slow down!!!

Let's all not respond at once. 😂
      12-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Ewww.... it's like regurgitating food and then put it back in. LOL! Do you have a clean oil pan?

If it sounds and runs fine, I'd leave it alone. Another way is to remove and replace the soaked filter and clean out the OFH. That itself contains about 1/4 liters.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Ewww.... it's like regurgitating food and then put it back in. LOL! Do you have a clean oil pan?

If it sounds and runs fine, I'd leave it alone. Another way is to remove and replace the soaked filter and clean out the OFH. That itself contains about 1/4 liters.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an OFH?

She seems fine, but if doing the filter thing helps I'll order another one and replace it. I've never seen a filter so easy to get at. 😊
      12-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
OFH = Oil Filter housing. I've never heard "replace what you take out" when it comes to oil. Cars take a set amount of oil, but can lose oil through various methods (burning, leaking, etc). Following that method, you'd put in less oil every oil change (oil is all throughout the engine lubricating it) until you are finally at the low point.

Put back the amount dictated for your model, change your filter every oil change. You do, generally, want to make sure you are putting in AT LEAST what you take out - that does make sense, you don't want to put in less than was in there unless someone overfilled it in the first place.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 1
DOrtiz13.00
      12-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
OFH = Oil Filter housing. I've never heard "replace what you take out" when it comes to oil. Cars take a set amount of oil, but can lose oil through various methods (burning, leaking, etc). Following that method, you'd put in less oil every oil change (oil is all throughout the engine lubricating it) until you are finally at the low point.

Put back the amount dictated for your model, change your filter every oil change. You do, generally, want to make sure you are putting in AT LEAST what you take out - that does make sense, you don't want to put in less than was in there unless someone overfilled it in the first place.
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. This was my very first oil change on a BMW.

I'm confident I'll be more seasoned with the next go-round.