XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

Would you touch this? Seems unusually cheep...

There's been talk about BMW switching to Pennzoil from Castrol. However, is this oil still used by fellow Bimmers, and if so, is it recommended. At less than $4 a quart it seems unusually cheap.
Attached Images

11-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
I only buy from one place now so no. I wouldn't. I'm sorry - If you can afford a BMW, but can't afford an $80 oil change that becomes $20~ after the first one... You bought the wrong car.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

That's some of best oil in world.

It's what I use.

I got 2 jugs of it for $13./each after rebate.

Study some used oil analysis on Bob is the oil guy (BITOG), and see for yourself.
Appreciate 1
DOrtiz13.00
      11-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
I'm sorry - If you can afford a BMW, but can't afford an $80 oil change that becomes $20~ after the first one... You bought the wrong car.
That's the most typical BMW driver comment I've heard in a while. Way to perpetuate the ignorance.

I don't stay weathy by paying more for nothing, when I can get the same thing cheaper and better. 30 dollar oil changes are right up my alley.
OP, any oil that you use and change regularly, is going to be better off than 80% of cars on the road.
Appreciate 3
      11-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
That's the most typical BMW driver comment I've heard in a while. Way to perpetuate the ignorance.

I don't stay weathy by paying more for nothing, when I can get the same thing cheaper and better. 30 dollar oil changes are right up my alley.
OP, any oil that you use and change regularly, is going to be better off than 80% of cars on the road.
Don't be an ass, there is no ignorance in my comment. $20 is cheaper than any oil change I've ever had at around $35. It's ignorance to bypass the knowledge someone is giving you. The minor planning you would have to do on even a slim budget to benefit is silly. You buy oil, you do your change, your send it back, all within 2 weeks before a credit card statement would even be do.

In todays day and age why would you risk any chance of fraudulence? Especially w hen it comes to car care.

Look at all my other posts where I say I won't pay more for M cars because they cost more for what I consider little benefit, or how I bought a car just for work so I have my 35i for longer, then come back at me.

I also didn't belittle him, I gave him my opinion which is what he asked for. There was no mightier than thou thoughts, just my personally calculated decisions.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I only buy from one place now so no. I wouldn't. I'm sorry - If you can afford a BMW, but can't afford an $80 oil change that becomes $20~ after the first one... You bought the wrong car.
Has nothing to do with "affordability" but convenience and the fact I intend to change my oil more frequently than "once-a-year." With Florida heat, and driving 15-18k/year, I'd like to change my oil 3 times a year (at minimum). I'm more of the old school, and can't fathom a 10-12k oil change (on any car).

Additionally, the dealer is quite a distance from me, and from what I can tell, oil changes on these cars "appear" relatively simple. Heck, the filter is right on top. :-)

Best,
David
      11-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry - If you can afford a BMW, but can't afford an $80 oil change that becomes $20~ after the first one... You bought the wrong car.

My thoughts exactly Kilo. ^5
      11-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Don't be an ass, there is no ignorance in my comment. $20 is cheaper than any oil change I've ever had at around $35. It's ignorance to bypass the knowledge someone is giving you. The minor planning you would have to do on even a slim budget to benefit is silly. You buy oil, you do your change, your send it back, all within 2 weeks before a credit card statement would even be do.

In todays day and age why would you risk any chance of fraudulence? Especially w hen it comes to car care.

Look at all my other posts where I say I won't pay more for M cars because they cost more for what I consider little benefit, or how I bought a car just for work so I have my 35i for longer, then come back at me.

I also didn't belittle him, I gave him my opinion which is what he asked for. There was no mightier than thou thoughts, just my personally calculated decisions.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Think you hit a nerve there Kilo. ;-)
      11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Since I'm Canadian, I'm not gonna comment on the douchebaggery post way up above.

OP, I try to stick with LL01 when possible. While my shelf is stocked with German Castrol 0w40 (cus I got them for cheap), I've used non-LL01 synth oils and never had a problem. In fact, I just used up the remaining M1 0w40 for my x28i and 330i.
Appreciate 1
DOrtiz13.00
      11-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you Gamb1t. Appreciate the feedback.
      11-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:

Agreed 100%. Not a roll-eyes big enough. If you can afford to buy a BMW, you should never try to find value in anything related to your car.

Quote:

I don't think anyone is talking about fraud.

It's 20% off Mobile 1, not unheard of at all. That jug is like $25-27 at Walmart at any given time, not $35. Not $20 cheaper. See, you're ignorant after all:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...xoCgrgQAvD_BwE

It's also one of THE most popular oils run on N54/55s for over a decade now.

You think Walmart is selling "fraudulent" M1? Couldn't just be a sale could it? :derp:
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 2
DOrtiz13.00
      11-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Agreed 100%. Not a roll-eyes big enough. If you can afford to buy a BMW, you should never try to find value in anything related to your car.

I don't think anyone is talking about fraud.

It's 20% off Mobile 1, not unheard of at all. That jug is like $25-27 at Walmart at any given time, not $35. Not $20 cheaper. See, you're ignorant after all:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...xoCgrgQAvD_BwE

It's also one of THE most popular oils run on N54/55s for over a decade now.

You think Walmart is selling "fraudulent" M1? Couldn't just be a sale could it? :derp:
This was about something minor, not something major so Kilo's comment has no bearing IMHO. This had nothing to do with finding value, I do all my own work so to hell with that. You and he have also had "knock down drag out" arguments about other petty shit. To continue -

No I don't think it is fraudulent and honestly didn't look at it. I haven't had time to look for stuff like this and one offs don't interest me when I have better deals available so I keep to consistency with what I know will (allegedly hah!) always be available. Yes, let me spend hours finding the best deal of

I paid just about $35 for every change on my Mazda 6, and spend an initial $80 for both my BMWs but end up with a $20 bill once I send the oil back now.

DOrtiz - I don't go to a dealership or anyone else for my oil changes or ANY of my work, I don't know what sparked your comments. I get everything from FCPEuro, I do 6-7k Oil changes, and I get reimbursed.

Maybe I went about it the wrong way, it wouldn't be the first time. I was just trying to give the most cost effective and overall reliable way for a cheap oil change.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #13
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I'd stick with an LL-01; I use either Castrol 0W-40 or BMW TPT 5W-30.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

I’ve always used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Have yet to change oil on the X1 because it was changed before I bought it. Interestingly enough, this is the result I got when I plugged my info into the Mobile 1 site: https://mobiloil.com/en

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Longlife-01. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1C-155/M1C-155A.

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:16 AM   #15
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
I've always used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Have yet to change oil on the X1 because it was changed before I bought it. Interestingly enough, this is the result I got when I plugged my info into the Mobile 1 site: https://mobiloil.com/en

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Longlife-01. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1C-155/M1C-155A.
This is odd. Note attached image. Hmmmmmm
Attached Images

11-27-2018, 03:40 AM   #16
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

What about this. $3 more and it actually calls out BMW. Also recommendations on their website.
Attached Images

11-27-2018, 05:51 AM   #17
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep

The Pennzoil looks good, that’s what I will go with. This site describes the different BMW Longlife classifications: https://www.oilspecifications.org/bmw.php

Appreciate 1
DOrtiz13.00
      11-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Mobil 1 had BMW's long life spec once, and that's an older pic of jug.

The biggest reason it doesn't is that this Mobil 1 also has the Extended drain version, and this isn't it.

Castrol, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1 0w40 all seem to get good used oil analysis at around 10k mile changes which is what I'm going to run.

I analysed the BMW factory 5w30 at my own oil change of 5k miles, and it showed very good, and could have gone twice the miles.

I just like my own oil work, and I could pay more.
Appreciate 1
DOrtiz13.00
      11-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
The Pennzoil looks good, that's what I will go with. This site describes the different BMW Longlife classifications: https://www.oilspecifications.org/bmw.php
Heck, now I'm really confused. :-(
Attached Images

11-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #20
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOrtiz View Post
Heck, now I'm really confused. :-(
It’s new to me too, what I thought was interesting on that chart was the separate Longlife-14+ for the N20 year 2014 or higher. Makes you wonder what the exact differences are. Since I don’t have that motor I probably won’t dig into it.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:26 AM   #21
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOrtiz View Post
Has nothing to do with "affordability" but convenience and the fact I intend to change my oil more frequently than "once-a-year." With Florida heat, and driving 15-18k/year, I'd like to change my oil 3 times a year (at minimum). I'm more of the old school, and can't fathom a 10-12k oil change (on any car).

Additionally, the dealer is quite a distance from me, and from what I can tell, oil changes on these cars "appear" relatively simple. Heck, the filter is right on top. :-)

Best,
David
As mentioned, M1 no longer has LL01. One must ask: what magically changed here? Was there one test it doesn't pass now? There are additional LL specs for longer life ratings, extended drain. BMW often back dates things, you can read up at your leisure but again: if LL01 was fine when the car was new, and you use an LL01 oil, its perfectly within spec.

Now, M1 retains MB and Porsche certs to name a few, so its still a very good product. If you want to geek out, BITOG will have hours of reading, data points, and you can see some before/after virgin analysis to guestimate what changed in the forumulation. The extended drain additives may be a bit less since they do have their EP product line (I honestly forget, been a while since I read it). If so it could drop grade after say 13K and 'fail' the test.

Meaning, 13K in the 40 grade has dropped to a 30 grade. Oh the horrors!

What is more important to me is your OCI. Modern oils are very good and yes you can follow the CBS and your car will be fine. 10K is nothing: plenty of data to back that up.

Changing every 5K is over kill IMHO but your car, do what you want . Changing more frequently does motivate one to DIY. I change every 7500-8K, even when I got annual free I did it at 6mo. That's what I wanted to do as my wife does more shorter trips. However the first two OCs were both over 10K before we got the car cause once a year CBS.

For the extra $10 it cost for the OC, I would buy Castrol or Pennzoil Euro (40w: the Euro L is LL04, I use it in our 335d: yes in spec but I prefer the LL01 add pack for a gas engine). Castrol is easier to find at Wally World typically and you can get that on sale for $22 or so too. I happened to have 8 Qt of M1 Euro left over from my previous Porsche stash and recently used it on the X1 and she's purring just fine. Next year I'll need to buy and buy an LL01.

- b
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:40 AM   #22
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you bvanlieu

I ordered this one (2 jugs) and a Mann filer for $56. Each jug is $24.06 which I believe is a good buy. I can do several oil changes moving forward for $24.06 plus filter.

I believe the X1 takes 5.25 quarts?

Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images