XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

07-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
mocsab
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 XDrive28i

Can I upgrade to Harmon Karden and add Navigation?

I have a 2014 BMW X1 - standard AM/FM radio - NO Navigation.

I want to try to add Navigation and upgrade to the Harmon Kardon radio and I wondered if anyone had experience doing this? is it even possible?

Where can I find out exactly which parts I need to accomplish this?

I called BMW service/Parts and they are no help at all.

anyone?

I tried installing a Navigation Unit for the BMW X1 from www.Siecane.com and it is a piece of crap. Bluetooth doesn't hold the connection - I lose calls constantly - screen is difficult to use in bright light - It offers other things that are usuable - android radio for example - but that is about it.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
DOrtiz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

I use my cell phone (Google maps), and place it horizontally on the storage bin where navigation would normally be. Works perfect and didn't cost me a dime.
      10-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

IIRC the HK amp that comes with the Top HiFi option is not a direct plug and play over the HiFi version. HK amp uses optical cables I think. Also HK system has more speakers (rear tweeters + center channel). Can't remember. BTW, the Base model is powered via headunit.

There are cheaper and better upgrades than going from HiFi to HK for sound upgrades. HiFi amp wiring is normal audio cables therefore aftermarket upgrades are easier. Search around the audio sections.

Last edited by Gamb1t; 10-23-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Yeah, if you want to replace the amp, I think Bavauto has a solution. There may be others. I found the stock amp to be fine, but wanted to upgrade the speakers (particularly the tweeters). If you don't go with a set designed for the x1, then it's up to you to figure out what works.

I'm not sure if the woofers are any different for HK -- it could just be the tweeters (and the amp, of course).

I have a simple, old-school-style, GPS in front of the cubby for navigation. Works OK. Phone is a backup...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Rayf2930
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX x1 xDrive28i

I have a 2015 x1 (xDrive28i) - the car didn't come with the CID 8.8 inch info system. I was wondering, is there a part number where I could find a used one? Can a stereo shop hook it up, or do you need to go the BMW dealer? I would really prefer to have the GPS on the dash versus having to hook up my phone all the time.

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayf2930 View Post
I have a 2015 x1 (xDrive28i) - the car didn't come with the CID 8.8 inch info system. I was wondering, is there a part number where I could find a used one? Can a stereo shop hook it up, or do you need to go the BMW dealer? I would really prefer to have the GPS on the dash versus having to hook up my phone all the time.

Thanks for your time.
Ray,

I added this to my X1 just over a month ago: https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-x1-ser...on-system.html

To me it looked like the closest thing to the stock system, but it also adds quite a bit of other functionality. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Good Luck.

Wes
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Rayf2930
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Ray,

I added this to my X1 just over a month ago: https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-x1-ser...on-system.html

To me it looked like the closest thing to the stock system, but it also adds quite a bit of other functionality. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Good Luck.

Wes
Wes - thanks for reaching out, really appreciate it.

Thanks for the link too.

How much was the install? Any compatability issues?

How much modification was neeeded to dash since I know the stock unit fits in the space versus this one that is more of a sit on the top kind?

Thanks again.

Ray
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayf2930 View Post
Wes - thanks for reaching out, really appreciate it.

Thanks for the link too.

How much was the install? Any compatability issues?

How much modification was neeeded to dash since I know the stock unit fits in the space versus this one that is more of a sit on the top kind?

Thanks again.

Ray
Ray,

Check out this video for more information:

That's not the place I bought it from, but I did use their video during my install and it helped quite a bit. The units look almost exactly identical.

I installed it myself, so the install was FREE! I will admit the install did take me a good chunk of time, but I added just about all the accessories possible during the install too. I highly suggest getting the backup camera if you go this route, just don't get the wireless kit (nothing but problems). Hard wired is the way to go.

No compatibility issues.

You don't need to cut or modify the dash. I had the storage tray with lid in the position where this display sits. You just take that entire compartment out and install this screen and mount utilizing the same fit up locations. I also bought their aftermarket iDrive controller, which goes in the place of the pocket change tray below the shifter.

Give me a shout if you need any pics or have any other questions.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
Rayf2930
Rep

Epic Wes. Thank you. I will certainly look into it.
Thank you my good man.

Ray
Appreciate 1
AK_Wes3.00
      01-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Ray,

Looks neat. I think there was a time where I'd be really interested in this, but I think I'll just stick with my $100 GPS in that spot! :-)
Appreciate 0