XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

12-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #67
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by veer90 View Post
Update: removing $265 from VO fixed this.

For e90 with no iDrive, follow instructions in post 1 for all applicable modules and just delete $2VB. Only add $265 if you don't want to see FTM warnings.
So hold on..
I had my $2VB deleted for years and ran on flat tire twice...ruining two tires
I have e92 m3 with cic. Just added $265 to the VO and FA_wrote to CAS and NFRM and coded suggested changes to KOMBI, CIC and M3DSC. Most RDC stuff was already how it was suggested To change.
Didn’t try driving with low air but are you saying this won’t work either?
My cic tire monitor is all green but I think it’s been this way.
I’ll try it out and report back. Meanwhile if anyone e90 has that working please update!
      12-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #68
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
So hold on..
I had my $2VB deleted for years and ran on flat tire twice...ruining two tires
I have e92 m3 with cic. Just added $265 to the VO and FA_wrote to CAS and NFRM and coded suggested changes to KOMBI, CIC and M3DSC. Most RDC stuff was already how it was suggested To change.
Didn’t try driving with low air but are you saying this won’t work either?
My cic tire monitor is all green but I think it’s been this way.
I’ll try it out and report back. Meanwhile if anyone e90 has that working please update!
I actually noticed that in the friend on iDrive where I used to have TPM it now says Flat Tire Monitor so FTM was successfully coded. I kept the $265 in my VO for my e92 m3
      04-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #69
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quick question:
After coding to FTM, did you plugged back the module (under car) or not?
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #70
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

No
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #71
PopsTheSailor
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive28i

I have a 2012 Z4 e89 and it sounds like I have both a module and an antenna. Only 1 person in this thread mentioned the antenna. Do I need to remove it or just unplug the wires from the module?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #72
BBriner
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsTheSailor View Post
I have a 2012 Z4 e89 and it sounds like I have both a module and an antenna. Only 1 person in this thread mentioned the antenna. Do I need to remove it or just unplug the wires from the module?
Were you able to remove TPMS from your E89? I have a 2009 E89 that I want to deactivate the TPMS.

Last edited by BBriner; 07-15-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #73
PopsTheSailor
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive28i

No, I started looking where it was supposed to be, but the job looks terribly messy with taking lots of stuff apart so I ended up just leaving it. Maybe over the winter when there's less incentive to drive a convertible, I'll invest the time. If you end up doing yours, it would be great to post some pictures of where exactly it is and how to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #74
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
2010 E91 with RDC communication errors. Tried to swap to another RDC module from a 2011 E93, but still comms errors. Saw this thread and followed the steps to unplug RDC module, remove $2VB, add $265, write VO to FRM & CAS, write defaults to KOMBI, CIC, CAS, FRM (called NFRM for me), and DSC (called BDSC in my car).
Checked the custom manipulations, and only had to enable MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC, the rest already matched.

Worked perfectly, upon restarting, I was able to reset the flat tire monitor in idrive, then after driving about 5 miles, I see this!
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #75
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
2010 E91 with RDC communication errors. Tried to swap to another RDC module from a 2011 E93, but still comms errors. Saw this thread and followed the steps to unplug RDC module, remove $2VB, add $265, write VO to FRM & CAS, write defaults to KOMBI, CIC, CAS, FRM (called NFRM for me), and DSC (called BDSC in my car).
Checked the custom manipulations, and only had to enable MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC, the rest already matched.

Worked perfectly, upon restarting, I was able to reset the flat tire monitor in idrive, then after driving about 5 miles, I see this!
Thanks!
Any chance you have a picture of where Rdc module is? I've seen it located in three different places and I have nothing in all three spots. Do the wheel speed sensors plug I to the rdc? How can I track down where this thing is lol
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #76
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Any chance you have a picture of where Rdc module is? I've seen it located in three different places and I have nothing in all three spots. Do the wheel speed sensors plug I to the rdc? How can I track down where this thing is lol
What year and model is your car?
There are different spots and different systems.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #77
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What year and model is your car?
There are different spots and different systems.
2011 335i RWD Sedan. I checked newtis.info but the guide isn't helpful at all lol. I checked behind the driver side rear truck liner because there is a video on Youtube that shows it there on an E93. It's not there on an E90. I then check under the car near the front sub-frame. Nothing there. Maybe behind heat shields? I also check if anything was mounted inside of the rear bumper cover. I can't see anything. I am now reading it might be in the passenger side rear trunk liner near the battery? I'll check there tonight.

On a side note, I modified the $vo to remove $2vb and added $265. I then wrote it to CAS and NFRM. I then reset those ECU's and others back to defaults. Flat tire monitoring seems to be active, but, when it reset it displays "malfunction." I am guessing the RDC module still being plugged in is causing this error?

I also saw someone say you still need to manually code "RDC_Active" or whatever to nicht_active even after doing the above coding? Could that be the malfunction error? or is it the RDC? Sorry for all the questions. I'll play around with it tonight. Just trying to save a lot of frustration for something so simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #78
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
on a 2011, it should be a 6 inch long stick looking thing clipped into a plastic snap clip thing on the right rear wheel/fender liner. If you pull down the wheel liner under the right rear fender, it should be there... the fender liner has a fold where it goes from flat under the fender/bumper to curved under the wheel, on my 2011 it was right at that fold.

Another way to think of it is that it is attached right under the battery tray, on the outside of the car, hidden behind the fender and the fender liner.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #79
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
on a 2011, it should be a 6 inch long stick looking thing clipped into a plastic snap clip thing on the right rear wheel/fender liner. If you pull down the wheel liner under the right rear fender, it should be there... the fender liner has a fold where it goes from flat under the fender/bumper to curved under the wheel, on my 2011 it was right at that fold.

Another way to think of it is that it is attached right under the battery tray, on the outside of the car, hidden behind the fender and the fender liner.
That is where it was! Rear passanger side... Right in the crotch where the fender liner meets the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #80
polarbmw
Rep
Drives: e84 x1

what hardware & software is needed

Hello, this thread is great in explaining the steps to disable TPMS and activate FTM, but what hardware and software is needed to perform this coding? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #81
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbmw View Post
Hello, this thread is great in explaining the steps to disable TPMS and activate FTM, but what hardware and software is needed to perform this coding? Thank you.
wondering if this is possible thru BIMMERCODE APP
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #82
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botlfed98 View Post
wondering if this is possible thru BIMMERCODE APP
I checked the BIMMERCODE APP website and unfortunately I didn't see an option for disabling TPMS and activating FTM
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:05 PM   #83
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbmw View Post
I checked the BIMMERCODE APP website and unfortunately I didn't see an option for disabling TPMS and activating FTM
i ended up buying Veepeak bluetooth adapter and Bimmercode, there is an expert mode but i haven't tried going into that yet. Hopefully somebody else could chime in.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #84
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botlfed98 View Post
i ended up buying Veepeak bluetooth adapter and Bimmercode, there is an expert mode but i haven't tried going into that yet. Hopefully somebody else could chime in.
I think the folks who were originally involved with this thread have probably replaced their x1 with something else so no longer even care about this issue. I posted in another forum too and there are over 200 views, but no responses. Not sure what to do Botlfed98.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #85
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
On my cars, I used a K-DCAN USB adapter I bought from ebay for like 9 dollars and for software I used NCS Expert. The software can be downloaded here:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads
The installation steps are dumb and complicated and you'll have to look for them, i have a vm that still has them installed.
Bimmercode can almost definitely do it, but I've never used Bimmecode so can't comment on the steps. You need to modify the vehicle order, then 'default code' a bunch of modules, then check custom coding to make sure certain values are correct.
      11-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #86
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
On my cars, I used a K-DCAN USB adapter I bought from ebay for like 9 dollars and for software I used NCS Expert. The software can be downloaded here:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads
The installation steps are dumb and complicated and you'll have to look for them, i have a vm that still has them installed.
Bimmercode can almost definitely do it, but I've never used Bimmecode so can't comment on the steps. You need to modify the vehicle order, then 'default code' a bunch of modules, then check custom coding to make sure certain values are correct.
Thanks for the response! I contacted Bimmercode and unfortunately they can’t do it. Do you know if there are any coder/scanner tools on Amazon that would be able to do it? I’ve also reached out to about 20 mechanic shops in my area around San Diego and they’re not able to do it either. Thank in advance for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #87
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
There are no coder/scanner tools that work directly without the custom BMW software to do VO coding.

You should be able to do this part with bimmercode expert mode.
1. Unplug the RDC module
2. Take a backup of each of the 3 modules (DSC, KOMBI, CIC)
3. Use expert mode to change all the below
4. Power off and restart the car, go to your CIC flat tire monitor screen and reset, then drive around for about a mile

CIC module:
This makes the CIC show the correct flat tire monitor instead of the tire pressure monitor, and allows you to tell the DSC to reset it
RPA_CIC: aktiv
RDC: nicht_aktiv
RDC_SAFETY: nicht_aktiv
For a CCC car, ignore the above, and set RDC_CCC: nicht_aktiv on the CAPPL module.

KOMBI module:
This makes the flat tire icon respond to the DSC saying a tire is flat, instead of expecting the RDC module to say it, and in non-CIC cars, it makes it so the flat tire reset works
RDC_ALIVE: nicht_aktiv
MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC: aktiv
RDC_VERBAUT: nicht_aktiv
DSC_MIT_RPA_CC: aktiv
RDC_DISP_SWITCH: nicht_aktiv

DSC module (XDSC or BDSC):
This turns on the flat tire monitoring on the DSC. Without this change, nothing will be monitored
AUSSTATTUNG_RPA: aktiv

For a non-CIC/non-CCC car, one of the KOMBI settings might be wrong, but I don't have a non-CIC car anymore to test with.

DSC is the antilock brake module, and also handles cruise control on some cars. It can monitor for a flat tire by noticing that one wheel is turning faster than the others.

It is possible there is an additional setting change that isn't listed here, in which case it might not work. Just put everything back and restore from backups if that is the case.

If you bring in your car for dealer service they might reset one of these settings back to factory default. Without the VO change, a factory default will wipe out the changes. VO change is the factory way to *change* the factory defaults for the car.

Last edited by vilord; 11-10-2021 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #88
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
There are no coder/scanner tools that work directly without the custom BMW software to do VO coding.

You should be able to do this part with bimmercode expert mode.
1. Unplug the RDC module
2. Take a backup of each of the 3 modules (DSC, KOMBI, CIC)
3. Use expert mode to change all the below
4. Power off and restart the car, go to your CIC flat tire monitor screen and reset, then drive around for about a mile

CIC module:
This makes the CIC show the correct flat tire monitor instead of the tire pressure monitor, and allows you to tell the DSC to reset it
RPA_CIC: aktiv
RDC: nicht_aktiv
RDC_SAFETY: nicht_aktiv
For a CCC car, ignore the above, and set RDC_CCC: nicht_aktiv on the CAPPL module.

KOMBI module:
This makes the flat tire icon respond to the DSC saying a tire is flat, instead of expecting the RDC module to say it, and in non-CIC cars, it makes it so the flat tire reset works
RDC_ALIVE: nicht_aktiv
MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC: aktiv
RDC_VERBAUT: nicht_aktiv
DSC_MIT_RPA_CC: aktiv
RDC_DISP_SWITCH: nicht_aktiv

DSC module (XDSC or BDSC):
This turns on the flat tire monitoring on the DSC. Without this change, nothing will be monitored
AUSSTATTUNG_RPA: aktiv

For a non-CIC/non-CCC car, one of the KOMBI settings might be wrong, but I don't have a non-CIC car anymore to test with.

DSC is the antilock brake module, and also handles cruise control on some cars. It can monitor for a flat tire by noticing that one wheel is turning faster than the others.

It is possible there is an additional setting change that isn't listed here, in which case it might not work. Just put everything back and restore from backups if that is the case.

If you bring in your car for dealer service they might reset one of these settings back to factory default. Without the VO change, a factory default will wipe out the changes. VO change is the factory way to *change* the factory defaults for the car.
vilord thank you for the info. I will order the Veepeak OBD scan tool from Amazon and download bimmercode and give this a shot. Thanks again friend!
Appreciate 0