XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

03-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

Bavsound Speaker Replacement/Upgrade

As many have already stated in previous threads, the stock BMW speakers (whether they are the standard or premium) are flat, harsh, and tend to distort at high volumes. This is mainly due to cheap materials and construction. The stock amps are perfectly capable, actually, so the speakers are where the improvement efforts should be directed.

Bavsound specially engineers and tunes their speakers to a) fit bmw's, and b) sound great with the stock amplifier. This seemed like the perfect solution to crappy speakers, so I gave it a shot.

Because of nice instructional videos (for every BMW model ) I was able to remove old speakers and install new ones in several hours. I also installed extra sound deadening material, which you might as well do if you have the door panel off. The speakers are plug and play, so no need for stripping wires or soldering.

As soon as I visually compared old and new speakers, I anticipated a solid upgrade in the works. For example, the old ones had drivers the size of a small stack of quarters, and the new ones had drivers the size of hockey pucks.

The final result was night and day compared to my previous speakers. Sound quality is now rich, detailed, and extremely capable at high volumes . The music now sounds how the artist intended. Splendid.

Can you get better quality? Yes, especially if you hire a professional, but this is a DIY forum. For the time and money invested, I am extremely happy with the results. I highly recommend!

Good luck with your projects!
Appreciate 2
Seagull287.50
      03-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Xolinlevh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Ive been thinking about doing the swap myself, how noticable is it from a visual standpoint after the swap is made? Mine is a lease and I'd liek to install the system, but remove it obviously before turning the car back in to avoid any...issues...Just thinking that if at any point i need to bring the car in for work i dont want them to easily notice ive made a big swap to the cars sound system and then void my warranty or cause any huge headaches with my lease
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Cosmetic Impacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
Ive been thinking about doing the swap myself, how noticable is it from a visual standpoint after the swap is made? Mine is a lease and I'd liek to install the system, but remove it obviously before turning the car back in to avoid any...issues...Just thinking that if at any point i need to bring the car in for work i dont want them to easily notice ive made a big swap to the cars sound system and then void my warranty or cause any huge headaches with my lease
Xolinlevh,

From a visual, cosmetic standpoint there is no change. The speakers sit behind the original speaker covers. You can sort of see the new silver coloration of the replacement tweeters through the original tweeter covers, but I doubt they would notice; They would have to be 1) looking very closely and 2) recognize the difference (which is minuscule).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3

did the kit come with an instruction manual for install? i don't see a video on their site for the X1.
      09-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
tony3series
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
did the kit come with an instruction manual for install? i don't see a video on their site for the X1.
The video is on YouTube https://youtu.be/Hkku3V80Vjk
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is bav auto better than the HK system? I thought about replacing the speakers in the rear because they are absolutely TINY.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Is bav auto better than the HK system? I thought about replacing the speakers in the rear because they are absolutely TINY.
I had the hi-fi sound system originally, but it was not the HK so I can't speak to the difference. I bet it would still be a substantial upgrade because BMW HK's, although a step up in quality, are still mass produced.

Just a heads up, I don't think you are able to buy one pair of (rear) speakers from BAVsound. They seem to only sell complete replacement sets.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
The rear speakers should be 4" like the fronts? I didn't bother messing with the rears, as I listen mostly to the fronts. My passengers don't care about the sound quality like I do.

HK has improved tweeters (over the HiFi system), but Bavsound is still probably an upgrade. I don't know first hand, though, as mine is HiFi.
Appreciate 0