Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
mariobgr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2011

ABS/4x4/Flat tire monitor problems after changing alternator

Hi, guys, happy new 2019!

I've been happily driving my 2011 X1 20d xDrive for quite some time now (280k km)

On Christmas Eve my car started acting weird. First the error for "battery not charging" appeared, after that "increased battery discharge", followed by "ABS not working, 4x4 not working, FM not working"... basically, the whole dashboard lighted up like a Christmas tree The car went crazy and after turning off, it did not turn on again.

Since I'm way out of warranty, all repairs are done in a non-official service.

I got the alternator replaced, after which ABS and 4x4 errors disappeared, but lights went off along with electrical windows and hazard lights - classic symptoms, confirmed by computer diagnostics - fried FRM module, which I got replaced as well.

The weird part is that at the moment the computer was connected, the ABS and 4x4 errors appeared again. I've been driving the car for a few days before replacing the FRM module, no such errors appeared during that time - only "lighting system fault - stop carefully".

The guys in the service told me the computer does not see module responsible for ABS and 4x4, checkеd the wires, seemed ok.

They are looking into my car for the past two days (or at least they say so) with no results. I have no idea what's taking so long, but I'm getting a little bit nervous from the lack of news.

Any ideas what might be causing those problems? Is it possible that they did something wrong while changing the alternator or connecting it to a computer?

BR
Mario
Appreciate 0