Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-29-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
ss2115
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 S20d

Run flat tyres alternatives?

Hi.
Seriously close to purchasing a used X1 S20d turbo. 2012 with 103,000klms.
One thing I don't like is the run flat tires - hard and no give in the sidewalls. The car is going to be for the wife coming out of a slightly softer riding Honda.

Can "normal" tires be fitted to these rims? I remember run-flat rims have a special bead so the run flat tires don't come off.

There's no room for a spare. What solutions have others come up with? Throw a skinny spare in the boot? Carry foam repair canister?
Is there room anywhere for a spare tire?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I put Michelin PS4S on those run flat 355m wheels.

Unknowledgable tire guys had hell getting Pirelli P7 run flats off, but Michelins went on fine.

Michelins a re a very firm tire also. I just don't see value in run flats.

I don't drive in winter, but these Michelins are perfect in rain or hot pavement for really good traction.

I have the already firm s28i M sport, and went to 225/40r18 instead of 225/45r18 runflats.

Newer non run flats are 25inch tires while the OEM run flats were 26 inch.

The Michelins feel better than in lower profile than the run flats.

It's anon brainer if you live down under to get great rain and summer tires in one Michelin PS4S. Read Tirerack.com reviews and tests.

There are so many layers of fabric and rubber in MIchelin, I'd be hard to get more than slow leak. I don't have spare in both cars (other RX8 Mazda), and I don't wanna drive slow with run flats. Not sure that's even safe, but we can all call road assistance.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:28 AM   #3
ss2115
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
I put Michelin PS4S on those run flat 355m wheels.

Unknowledgable tire guys had hell getting Pirelli P7 run flats off, but Michelins went on fine.

Michelins a re a very firm tire also. I just don't see value in run flats.

I don't drive in winter, but these Michelins are perfect in rain or hot pavement for really good traction.

I have the already firm s28i M sport, and went to 225/40r18 instead of 225/45r18 runflats.

Newer non run flats are 25inch tires while the OEM run flats were 26 inch.

The Michelins feel better than in lower profile than the run flats.

It's anon brainer if you live down under to get great rain and summer tires in one Michelin PS4S. Read Tirerack.com reviews and tests.

There are so many layers of fabric and rubber in MIchelin, I'd be hard to get more than slow leak. I don't have spare in both cars (other RX8 Mazda), and I don't wanna drive slow with run flats. Not sure that's even safe, but we can all call road assistance.
Appreciate the recommendation. However, I'm not looking for an expensive superior handling tyre. I'm wanting a softer sidewall tyre thats more compliant and gives the tyre a bit softer ride and bounce. As long as its a reasonable performer and reasonable in the wet then we're okay with it.
I don't even mind going to a slightly higher profile (not a harder lower profile) to get a bit more sidewall flex.
If I can fit normal tyres to these run-flat wheels then I have a huge choice of tyres I'd prefer on the car and at half the prices of run-flats.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:43 AM   #4
ss2115
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
Appreciate the recommendation. However, I'm not looking for an expensive superior handling tyre. I'm wanting a softer sidewall tyre thats more compliant and gives the tyre a bit softer ride and bounce. As long as its a reasonable performer and reasonable in the wet then we're okay with it.
I don't even mind going to a slightly higher profile (not a harder lower profile) to get a bit more sidewall flex.
If I can fit normal tyres to these run-flat wheels then I have a huge choice of tyres I'd prefer on the car and at half the prices of run-flats.
* I've been trolling through the internet the last hour or so and it seems that the BMW rims allow any tyre to be fitted. ie: doesn't have to be a run flat tyre.
Apparently its only a run-flat system called PAX (Honda and Nissan are examples) where standard tyres cannot be fitted to their run-flat wheel.

So I think I'll try a deal with the seller on a set of standard tyres be fitted and see where we go from there.
Still need to look at an alternative to a spare tyre though.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I tried to get a good priced tire for my RX8 8 years ago, so I bought Hankook Ventus V12 cause they were rated good in wet and dry.

Ok, they were really soft, and so so in wet and dry for maybe a year or two.

Then they went rock hard, and kept the 35 psi pressure for 2 years with no traction.

Wore out at 13k miles, and 6 years, so if I had driven a normal lot of miles it would be worse deal than paying $200 for Michelins and getting 26K to 30k miles.

Read tire tests and reviews on Tirerack.com.

Tests don't show the life and traction during it so the reviews might help.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

The bottom line is yes you can put non run flats on the OEM wheels.

I've done it, as have countless others on this forum. So choose whatever style (summer, all season, winter, etc.) that works for you and know you will be just fine.

I keep a combination of items in the car in case of a flat. I keep a can of the foam sealant, an air compressor and a patch kit.

Last edited by bucketfoot; 12-29-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
ss2115
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
The bottom line is yes you can put non run flats on the OEM wheels.

I've done it, as have countless others on this forum. So choose whatever style (summer, all season, winter, etc.) that works for you and know you will be just fine.

I keep a combination of items in the car in case of a flat. I keep a can of the foam sealant, an air compressor and a patch kit.
Thats the sort of confirmation I was looking for from a X1 owner. Thanks.
I was thinking the foam sealant which the wife could easily handle.
I guess one of those new tire inflating guns would be easy for her to use. Keeping it charged the only hassle but might be able to work out a trickle charger from the 12volt system perhaps.
Patch kit she wouldn't be able to use - no strength even if she understood the concept. But maybe having it for a roadside assistance call.

By the way - purely just for your interest, Australia doesn't have summer and winter tyres like USA or UK. We buy one set of tyres for all year around and we choose brands according to reputation (and price) with compromise towards dry or wet handling characteristics according to our personal choices.
Its so much less complicated and so much less expensive.
We do have some snow areas, but owners in these areas tend to choose 4 WD utes or jeeps/landcruisers/landrovers etc and still use the larger chunky all terrain type tyres all year around so they can still highway drive as well. its a different world. But the car culture in USA can't be beaten anywhere. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We buy one set of tyres for all year around and we choose brands according to reputation (and price) with compromise towards dry or wet handling characteristics according to our personal choices.
Its so much less complicated and so much less expensive.
In actuality, it really does not cost any more to have separate winter and summer tires. If you think about it, every mile that you put on a winter tire is a mile that does not go on a summer tire. So while you have the initial up front cost, in the end it balances out by not having to replace your tires as often.

In my personal case, I have three sets of tires. Dedicated winter tires, performance all season tires and UHP summer tires (that I only using on the track).
      12-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking the foam sealant which the wife could easily handle.
The one I have has the sealant and the compressor in one integrated unit. Even with that, I still keep a higher quality 12V air compressor in the car as well.
      12-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
ss2115
Australia
Rep

Quote:
In actuality, it really does not cost any more to have separate winter and summer tires. If you think about it, every mile that you put on a winter tire is a mile that does not go on a summer tire. So while you have the initial up front cost, in the end it balances out by not having to replace your tires as often.

In my personal case, I have three sets of tires. Dedicated winter tires, performance all season tires and UHP summer tires (that I only using on the track).
Good point.
but you also have to keep those second (in your case third) bulky wheel sets somewhere too.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
ss2115
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The one I have has the sealant and the compressor in one integrated unit. Even with that, I still keep a higher quality 12V air compressor in the car as well.
I didn't know they held enough to inflate the tyre as well.
But I'd worry about such a pressurised container in a locked up car here in Australia. Our in-car temps easily get to 55 deg C on normal 30 - 35deg days and up to 85deg on our hot summer days.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
ss2115
Australia
Rep

problems been solved.
Didn't buy the BMW.
Thank you for the replies and assistance.
Appreciate 0