XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
Linenoise
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E84

Headlight Spring Clip Replacement

Hey all....

In the process of trying to replace my headlight, i knocked the spring clip off its mounts After a few hours of frustration in trying to get it back on, the weather took a turn for the worse, so i gave up, and put it to the side to try again another day.

And of course it disappeared. Wife and kid swore they had nothing to do with it.

I went to the dealership and ordered a replacement, and received part # 63126924671.

Well it came in, and this morning i dug back up my instructions to replace the bulb to try again.

The thing is, the part they gave me, is not the clip in the pictures i have. BUT IT SORT OF IS. I can see how if one was so inclined, they could bend the clip into the form that it really needs to be, with some well placed crimps, etc.

This seems a bit crazy to me, but do they really expect me to do so? Any idea as to measurements for the crimps i need to make if this is the case?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Hey Linenoise, does your vehicle have the halogen headlights or HID? Also, what type of bulbs are you trying to install? Maybe include a picture for people to compare against.

Also, when you go to install the new bulb, I'd recommend wearing latex gloves to protect your hand. The plastic edges of the housing are surprisingly sharp. Don't ask me how I know this.

Finally, at least for halogens it's much harder to get the new bulb in than it is to get the old bulb out.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0