XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #23
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

I'd buy it for it's name, class and comfort. Nothing else.
      04-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #24
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I bought it because it is the best balance of performance and luxury. Fast enough to exhilerate me and luxury enough for me to feel comfortable when I'm taking those tight corners. Let's not forget that BMWs are always going to be better in the turns compared to cars like mustangs and camaros, and IMO they will always be more fun to drive.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #25
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
The only time you attack something is if you feel you need to defend something. But in actuallity you're attacking yourself.

The 3er is defenseless and needs no defending by any means.

What's heel, toe?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #26
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I bought it because it is the best balance of performance and luxury. Fast enough to exhilerate me and luxury enough for me to feel comfortable when I'm taking those tight corners. Let's not forget that BMWs are always going to be better in the turns compared to cars like mustangs and camaros, and IMO they will always be more fun to drive.
Actually, Cobras are tuned pretty well for the twisties also.
      04-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #27
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Also, 'vettes are over 400 lbs lighter than the 3 series.
      04-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #28
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

Anybody know what a Star-Diagram is? For those that don't, imagine a multi-pronged star (with anywhere from 3 to 10 'fingers'). Each finger radiates from a central point out along a graduated line. Along this line are tick marks for measurement, like "0" being the center and "10" being the very tip of each finger.

Now each finger can be used to quantify measurements for different catagories, like 0-60 Acceleration, 60-0 braking distance, lateral skidpad, etc. Even more subjective or opinionated things like 'overall feel' or 'fun to drive' can be given a numeric value and placed on the chart/diagram when surveyed over many people (eg: 'what's your favorite car color' posts, where each color gets a measured percentage of the vote).

Once you decide each star-finger value and incorporate the different measurments on the chart/diagram, if you draw to 'connect the dots' around the circumference (point-to-point), you'll get a total area wrapped up inside this area. This total area can then be calculated to give a relative overall value to your selection criteria.

Typically used when doing side-by-side comparison tests on windsurf boards, cars, etc.

The Ultimate Driving Machine typically scores higher than comparable auto's within the same price range. SO! This is now a long winded post to say what's already been said, "I bought my 330i because it represents a total package."

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #29
donger274
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

supercharger for 1500 i wish
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #30
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman811
Anybody know what a Star-Diagram is? For those that don't, imagine a multi-pronged star (with anywhere from 3 to 10 'fingers'). Each finger radiates from a central point out along a graduated line. Along this line are tick marks for measurement, like "0" being the center and "10" being the very tip of each finger.

Now each finger can be used to quantify measurements for different catagories, like 0-60 Acceleration, 60-0 braking distance, lateral skidpad, etc. Even more subjective or opinionated things like 'overall feel' or 'fun to drive' can be given a numeric value and placed on the chart/diagram when surveyed over many people (eg: 'what's your favorite car color' posts, where each color gets a measured percentage of the vote).

Once you decide each star-finger value and incorporate the different measurments on the chart/diagram, if you draw to 'connect the dots' around the circumference (point-to-point), you'll get a total area wrapped up inside this area. This total area can then be calculated to give a relative overall value to your selection criteria.

Typically used when doing side-by-side comparison tests on windsurf boards, cars, etc.

The Ultimate Driving Machine typically scores higher than comparable auto's within the same price range. SO! This is now a long winded post to say what's already been said, "I bought my 330i because it represents a total package."

Cheers
Well said Snowman!

Now that you've educated us on the Star diagram is...

What's heel / toe????
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #31
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

My reasons:

1 - The handling is amazing. If GM built a halfway decent handling car, I would have bought it.

2 - A few luxury items. Heated seats, xenons, bluetooth...

3 - Availability of a manual transmission.

4 - Decent pickup. Certailny not the fastest on the road, but certainly good enough for me. It helps that I drove a slow pig of an SUV previously...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #32
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Heel/toe is a technique used to maintain a high level or RPM and also a smoother transition when deccelerating. People have different ways of incorporating it, but the basics of it is this...
You are traveling at a high rate of speed, you are approaching a turn and needs to slow down. You step on the brakes, and also depresses the clutch to downshift to a lower gear. With your toes you hold down the brake to continue your decceleration, while pivoting your heel back to the throttle to "blip" it. You give the throttle enough of a bleep so the RPM stays up high, which allows you to engage to a lower gear more smoothly, and also keep the rpm high without bogging down your engine.

When driving, smoothness is the key, and speed is a by-product of smooth driving. So knowing how to drive smoothly (in this case, make a smooth turn/downshift) will eventually enable you to go faster. --- I found this image and link with very good detail info.
Link Link Link

04-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #33
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Duh, it's not purely for the power. OMG, bella had an epiphany!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #34
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
330i is the most powerful car I’ve ever owned and it conveniently comes with a legendary moniker (BMW). The 316i had beautiful handling and I was so impressed with the overall feel that I knew I had to buy the upcoming 3 in its most powerful form(330i).

The only cars that come close in power were my '94 300ZX with 222HP and '93 Pulsar GTi-R with 230HP a red one and a black one and '03 C230 Kompressor with 189HP; and these cars lack the Handling, Structure, and Weight Distribution of a BMW 3 series.

So when I test drove the 325i I was in for a treat for legendary BMW handling and performance. I knew I would be most impressed and happy with the 330i.

So to conclude this, I feel that the 330i is faster than any other car i've ever owned.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"

Last edited by BMW0; 04-04-2006 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #35
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

BMW's are a study in agility and the best packaging possible from an engineering stand point. There is something for everyone but far from being cars that are for "everyone". I know of many people who really don't like the amount of intamacy one encounters from behind the wheel of a BMW, they say it's too "rough". Just the same, that's what BMW's are all about, giving the greatest sensation and the most raw and efficent performance form the engine and all other parts of the car coming to work together to form one very cohesive unit. I have never looked at BMW's as "luxury cars" but more so "sporting" cars. Luxury is just a small trivial matter in the big picture, IMO. If you want luxury go buy a Benz, leather is just apart of the package w/ a BMW. BMW is about a passion for engineering excellence and being at the forefront in design concepts and a unique driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #36
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Heel/toe is a technique used to maintain a high level or RPM and also a smoother transition when deccelerating. People have different ways of incorporating it, but the basics of it is this...
You are traveling at a high rate of speed, you are approaching a turn and needs to slow down. You step on the brakes, and also depresses the clutch to downshift to a lower gear. With your toes you hold down the brake to continue your decceleration, while pivoting your heel back to the throttle to "blip" it. You give the throttle enough of a bleep so the RPM stays up high, which allows you to engage to a lower gear more smoothly, and also keep the rpm high without bogging down your engine.

When driving, smoothness is the key, and speed is a by-product of smooth driving. So knowing how to drive smoothly (in this case, make a smooth turn/downshift) will eventually enable you to go faster. --- I found this image and link with very good detail info.
Link Link Link

WOW, thanks for the 411 timzerofive. That's great to know. In the past I would break, clutch rev and then shift. I'll have to try this in the future. Sounds fun.

Is it very hard to learn? Thanks again for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #37
NaTuReB0Y