XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

View Poll Results: What You Recommend?
Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position (Utra High Performance All-Season) 4 9.76%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Utra High Performance All-Season) 21 51.22%
Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All Season 5 12.20%
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season (Utra High Performance All-Season) 3 7.32%
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S All Season (Utra High Performance All-Season) 1 2.44%
Continental Xtreme Contact DSW06 (Ultra High Performance All-Season) 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

10-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #67
dave14x28
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Want to love the DWS, but the horrid sidewalls really ruin the handling of the car. The 06 is marginally better, but still very sloppy feeling.

I know if they stiffen it up too much, they'll lose the snow performance...but man, it's so close to being the perfect all-season.
PrematureApex,

So of course I didn't find this RFT thread until *AFTER* I posted this morning...duh.

The experience reported by Tracus and Ja Gio is confirming my suspicion that the Conti DWS06 is the tire I'll be happy with, but I'm a little unsure because of your comment of ruining the handling. I enjoy the crisp handling on the stock LS2's, but I'm in similar (read: crappy) road and weather conditions as you, and I'm willing to give up a little handling to get slightly better tread life, good all-weather traction, and MUCH better ride quality.

Sooo.... "very sloppy" relative to what? Curious what your reference point is...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #68
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave14x28 View Post
PrematureApex,

So of course I didn't find this RFT thread until *AFTER* I posted this morning...duh.

The experience reported by Tracus and Ja Gio is confirming my suspicion that the Conti DWS06 is the tire I'll be happy with, but I'm a little unsure because of your comment of ruining the handling. I enjoy the crisp handling on the stock LS2's, but I'm in similar (read: crappy) road and weather conditions as you, and I'm willing to give up a little handling to get slightly better tread life, good all-weather traction, and MUCH better ride quality.

Sooo.... "very sloppy" relative to what? Curious what your reference point is...
Go for the Continental DWs tires. They are a very good choice.
The second pair I have is a new generation of DWS, improved.

My X1 had 5 harsh winters and handled them with success.
As a note, I did not find any big issues with the handling. On the other side keep in mind, the RFT are harsh and don't handle the curves very well.
As long as I have the X1 I will keep buying the same Conti DWS.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #69
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Has anyone ever tried the Falken Pro G4 A/S (New version of the Falken Ziex 912)? I used to only run those on my last car, and they were great.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...g4-a-s/p/28535
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #70
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

I just threw on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ today. There is a night and day difference than the P zero runflat the car came with. Switching to a nonrunflat smoothed up the ride even with 19 inch wheels. The car is more responsive on turn in and I don't feel any tire roll when changing directions suddenly. My P zeros were at the end of their life when I got them but the Pilot Sports are quieter too. I have had these tires on for about a month now and I have so much more confidence driving in wet conditions. You have to really push the car before you find the limit.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Last edited by Turbod; 11-29-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #71
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Hey guys,

I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ non run flats. Apparently, there's a run flat option now. I'm also considering the COOPER ZEON RS3-G1. The Cooper tires have pretty solid reviews on tire rack. Does anyone have experience with Cooper? It's considerably cheaper than the Michelin but I'm also aware that you get what you pay for. Input appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #72
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBMW1 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ non run flats. Apparently, there's a run flat option now. I'm also considering the COOPER ZEON RS3-G1. The Cooper tires have pretty solid reviews on tire rack. Does anyone have experience with Cooper? It's considerably cheaper than the Michelin but I'm also aware that you get what you pay for. Input appreciated. Thanks.
Please read the whole thread from top to bottom; it will give you plenty of input.
- NO RFT
- Buy a proper tire, quality cost money.
Appreciate 1
KGun192.00
      04-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #73
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Tires are the single most important item on a car and are the one thing I absolutely will not cheap out on (not saying that's the case with Cooper as I have no experience with it).

But I went with and would highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #74
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

Let's revive this... this was a very informative thread and it shouldn't be dead...

I'm moving from FL to CT in a month and as such, would like to be prepared with quality all-season tires...

My C300 is already equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and they are wonderful... not an issue...

Now... my X1 has Cinturato's RFT in the front and Firehawk Indy500 in the rear (weird), so I'm probably going to be getting the Continental Xtreme Contact DSW.

Just wanted to say thanks for all that gave valuable info here!
      05-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #75
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I have recently put on the new Toyo Proxes 4+. So far very good performance in the A/S dept. Cold, rain, light snow.... no problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #76
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassrebel View Post
Let's revive this... this was a very informative thread and it shouldn't be dead...

I'm moving from FL to CT in a month and as such, would like to be prepared with quality all-season tires...

My C300 is already equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and they are wonderful... not an issue...

Now... my X1 has Cinturato's RFT in the front and Firehawk Indy500 in the rear (weird), so I'm probably going to be getting the Continental Xtreme Contact DSW. Since then my X1 runs only Conti DWS.

Just wanted to say thanks for all that gave valuable info here!
I am coming back with an update in regards with the Continental DWS

As I have mentioned all this time in this thread, since I have replaced the Run flats, my choice was Continental DWS.
Very good tire with an excellent compromise and the best of all of them -that fit our 225/45/18- in winter. It handled very harsh winter with no fuss or problems. No hassle, no dealership.

My first set was Made in Germany
My second set was Made in Portugal
Starting 2018 they started to make them in USA

In 2018 I have installed my first Made in USA set.
I need to mention that this set of tires was a nightmare.
Tires take the floor shape over night and they wobble in the morning until they get warm and regain the shape.
Went to the dealership 4 times wrongfully accusing the service department for not balancing the wheels properly and for a wrong Road Force adjustment. Each time it was necessary to readjust, rebalance and re-rotate the tires on the mags as they looked like nothing was done. Last balancing and road force was done in my presence so I can see.
After 4 resets (I admire my dealership help and patience) we figured that the tires are wrong.
Called Continental, they sent a new set of tires 3 months later to replace this set.
The second set is better but still shakes and wobbles when tire is cold.
Never managed to have a proper, balanced set of wheels and car still shakes today as the tires do not maintain their shape.

Called Continental again, they did not wanted to replace again. Asked for specific "made in Europe" tires and ready to pay, but they don't have any.
I am at 80% -85% now but thinking to replace the tires again.

But, I am in a such limbo about it that I really do not know what the heck should I do. I do not want a similar set. Looked at Michelin but they are not as good in the winter as DWS. DWS have half winter, half summer pattern and they did proved to be a good tire overall. Really good.

But, it seems that the compound, or the reinforcement, or the manufacturing process, whatever it is, it is not as good as their European counterpart.

I am struggling with the dilemma as we speak and do not know in which direction should I go. But obviously do not want to "bite the dust" again.

I will get back with un update as soon as I have decided and made the changes.

Just wanted to let the others know that while the tire is a very good one, the USA made ones are far from what I used to have. Maybe they did improved and got better; don't know.

If someone has a brand new set installed please let us know your conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #77
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post

As I have mentioned all this time in this thread, since I have replaced the Run flats, my choice was Continental DWS.
Very good tire with an excellent compromise and the best of all of them -that fit our 225/45/18- in winter. It handled very harsh winter with no fuss or problems. No hassle, no dealership.

Tires take the floor shape over night and they wobble in the morning until they get warm and regain the shape.
Went to the dealership 4 times wrongfully accusing the service department for not balancing the wheels properly and for a wrong Road Force adjustment. Each time it was necessary to readjust, rebalance and re-rotate the tires on the mags as they looked like nothing was done. Last balancing and road force was done in my presence so I can see.
After 4 resets (I admire my dealership help and patience) we figured that the tires are wrong.
Called Continental, they sent a new set of tires 3 months later to replace this set.
Never managed to have a proper, balanced set of wheels and car still shakes today as the tires do not maintain their shape.

Called Continental again, they did not wanted to replace again. Asked for specific "made in Europe" tires and ready to pay, but they don't have any.

But, I am in a such limbo about it that I really do not know what the heck should I do. I do not want a similar set. Looked at Michelin but they are not as good in the winter as DWS. DWS have half winter, half summer pattern and they did proved to be a good tire overall. Really good.

But, it seems that the compound, or the reinforcement, or the manufacturing process, whatever it is, it is not as good as their European counterpart.

I am struggling with the dilemma as we speak and do not know in which direction should I go. But obviously do not want to "bite the dust" again.

Just wanted to let the others know that while the tire is a very good one, the USA made ones are far from what I used to have. Maybe they did improved and got better; don't know.

Of Course, USA had to have the better quality lol

I'm curious to know any other experiences with the Conti DWS... I can always vouch for the Pilot Sport A/S 3+, but at the same time, I have not seen any of that harsh weather y'all Canadians talk about here in Florida
      05-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #78
x1canuck
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Another shoutout to Conti ExtremeContact DWS06es - I have them on my E84 X1. I ditched Conti RFTs for DWS06es and have been very happy with them. I started off with DWS06es on my Subaru and they were so good that I had to get a set for my E84 as well. Great compromise overall (since they're "all-season" and not "all-weather") and they're absolutely fantastic in the rain (confident handling even at 120kmph in the wet) and light to not-so-heavy snow. I ran them through the mild BC winter this year (and they were great) but I'll probably swap em out for actual snow tires for the next ski season. Highly recommend DWS06es if you only want one pair of tires - you can't go wrong with this one esp if you live in a colder climate. FWIW, I also carry a donut spare, a tyre repair kit and a pump on longer roadtrips. I got the spare from Bavauto, but I see they've since shut shop sadly.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #79
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

FWIW, on my second set of Falken Ziex ZE950 A/S on a staggered set up on 18" MSport wheels... So far great handling, no problems, got AS tires because my daughter takes road trips to NC periodically from Florida.

no balancing problems, great wet traction, feels better than my Sport Pilots on my Vantage...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #80
ldawes818
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post

Now that it's winter, just wondering if there's any update. After reading the whole thread, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Continentals! If nothing else, I've definitely decided to ditch my run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #81
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldawes818 View Post
Now that it's winter, just wondering if there's any update. After reading the whole thread, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Continentals! If nothing else, I've definitely decided to ditch my run flats.
Got the Continentals again. very good tire except for some reason, the tire gets "tired" if stays flat too much and regain its shape when warming up.
Not much choice out there for all-weather.

On the other hand, I just bought the Continental Viking for the FWD winter car and they are good as well. (So far).

DWS is an amazing tire if properly made. Hopefully they improved.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #82
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

I've had the DWS06's for about two months and I love them! The grip is great! I had my first snowfall on these tires and they held absolutely beautiful, even driving 90-95mph on the highway they felt absolutely beautiful!

Both my C300 and my X1 have them!

It is true, on cold days or when the car stays parked for more than one day you can feel kinda of a flat spot, but after the tires warm up you don't feel them anymore