XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
X1_230d_First
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Unhappy X1 2010 xdrive jerking at lower gears

Hello Everyone, this is sort of my first-post. I have 2010 BMW X1 with X-Drive (auto transmission).

I see an issue in my car wherein it gives a jerk at lower gears (I can feel the jerk specifically when the gear changes -- like a small thud).

A little history on car:-
-- The front 2 tyres & rear tyres are not of same brand
-- I recently changed the brake pads (both rear & front)
-- the car has about 55,000 miles on it
-- I went to local BMW dealer, & they said that the front drum and disc are going out of sync which could cause the issue, I don't agree with them because the time when I see this issue, there is no brake applied.
-- I called the place from where I changed the brake pads - as per him, it could be an issue with brake calipers which have lost calibration, hence, the brakes are not getting apart properly and causing jerk - again, not sure why the issue occurs at lower gears?? - I don't agree.

I'm totally newbie to cars - I have read few forums which point out to issue with engine firing, valves going bad, steering issue?

I'm lost & already spent quite a bit of money (showing at 2 places) to understand the issue. Can anyone help me?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
X1_230d_First
United Kingdom
Rep

hi experts - any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #3
Caddman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 23d

Check your tire sizes make sure they are correct, I recently had two tires changed, they put the incorrect size on, which cause a issue that sounds like your. This is very bad for the transfer case, so I had them replace the tires with the correct size and my thud at low speeds went away and various other issues(traction control super sensitive, etc etc) Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
X1_230d_First
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Caddman, thank you for reply. I will check the tyres. From my understanding, they should be the same size as previous one. however, the manufacturer's of these tyres are different:

Rear 2 - Michelin
Front Left - Bridgestone
Front Right - I think Pirelli

i hope the manufacturer's spec doens't change if it does, then I'm screwed
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:57 AM   #5
brunis
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 25i

I think my issue is the same. But more than just jerking, i can hear a metalling clonk below the car when it happens. For me when i let go of the gas at approx. 15-20 km/h and let the engine break, it's extra bad. Otherwise it's smooth in accelerating/braking at all other speeds.

I recorded a video of the sound here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZtGnEYgoHhZ4Z64p9

regards,
Dennis
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
X1_230d_First
United Kingdom
Rep

I changed rear tyres last week, seems like jitter has gone away - but a new problem has occured. the car has started making some humming noise when I let the accelerator let go.
Went to kwik-fit & they inspected the tyres. They say that there is an issue with gearbox. The noise has aggravated now since all the 4 tyres are of same company. The threads match hence the gearbox is now showing its true colors - how messed up is that!!!
does anyone have any suggestions what the clue could be? I'm going to call up BMW this week & get the gearbox inspected.
Appreciate 0