Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Darthartur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive20d

Diesel steering wheel vibration

Diesel steering wheel vibration

Is is normal? At idle it is really annoing. 5000 km on odometer now beign like that since day one.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

No problems with my XDrive 23d.

Worth a call to the dealer ... hope it's easily resolved ... probably something simple as a wheel slightly out of balance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
tatongi
BMW G20 330e XDrive 2022
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e XDrive 2022

It happened to me, Wheels out pf balance
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
xspencex
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d

Are you talking about when stationary? If so then yes I do have a very slight vibration through the interior, steering and gearshifter... but then most 4 pot diesels I've driven have that at idle. I hardly notice it in mine, but if it's prominent then best get it checked
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive 18d

hi we have a vibration on the steering wheel too but only when in gear. The wheel does not vibrate when the car is moving/ stationary in neutral. I believe the problem is motor vibration being transmitted to the driver.

It's not extremely pronounced, more like a low voltage current being passed to the wrists..!! Do you use computers a lot? We do and these kinds of vibration annoy us a lot.

It's noticeable in city driving but most annoying on longer trips, especially as the steering is quite hard so my write absorb a lot of vibration as they work to move the wheel. Its truly uncomfortable.

I drive a lot of rentals for my work and this is the first time ever that I have this problem. Why on earth do they still use mechanical steering? We have VW polos and golfs in the family from the 1990s and both drive better than the X1.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
No problems with my XDrive 23d.

Worth a call to the dealer ... hope it's easily resolved ... probably something simple as a wheel slightly out of balance.
Ditto, two and half years old and no problems with my XDrive 23d over that period. Sorry to hear that you have a problem like that, can't be pleasant. I hope your dealer finds and rectifies the cause soon. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
david uk
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 xdrive 1.8 tdi m sport

HI, I collect my X1 Xdrive 1.8tdi next week. I did notice a vibration via my steering wheel during tick over and I did briefly refer to it during my test drive. I am now wondering if it's something I should be concerned about and have looked at before I collect it from dealers.
I am also keen to find out what current owners think of their X1s and also how the Xdrive 1.8tdi handled in the snow ?
Any other views good or bad would be appreciated just to help me see whats the norm for the vehicle and in general what to expect.
Until I collect my X1 I have a Mitsubishi ASX 1.8 Mivtec diesel 4wd which I found to be very good in the snow and do hoe that my X1 Xdrive can match.
I have been a member of a similar forum for ASX owners and found it to be informative along with good humour and chat thrown in.

David UK ( Scotland)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
Ditto, two and half years old and no problems with my XDrive 23d over that period. Sorry to hear that you have a problem like that, can't be pleasant. I hope your dealer finds and rectifies the cause soon. Good luck
Thanks. I'm beginning to fear that this is a problem with rear wheel drive models as there are quite a few posts I have found in Spanish. It goes back on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david uk View Post
HI, I collect my X1 Xdrive 1.8tdi next week. I did notice a vibration via my steering wheel during tick over and I did briefly refer to it during my test drive. I am now wondering if it's something I should be concerned about and have looked at before I collect it from dealers.
I am also keen to find out what current owners think of their X1s and also how the Xdrive 1.8tdi handled in the snow ?
Any other views good or bad would be appreciated just to help me see whats the norm for the vehicle and in general what to expect.
Until I collect my X1 I have a Mitsubishi ASX 1.8 Mivtec diesel 4wd which I found to be very good in the snow and do hoe that my X1 Xdrive can match.
I have been a member of a similar forum for ASX owners and found it to be informative along with good humour and chat thrown in.

David UK ( Scotland)
Interesting you have noticed this on an Xdrive. I was beginning to think this was an issue only with the Sdrive.

I don't know if we are simply more aware of the problem now or that it is getting worse with more km (we are at 800 something now) but after a 3.5 hr drive I arrived at the hotel really tired and had a burning sensation in my wrists which made using the PC difficult. I use PCs a lot for work so my wrists might be more sensitive that most, and the motorway isnt the best in the world. That said, I have made the same journey in quite a few different rentals now and its never presented problems before.

Cant comment on the snow, not much of that in Spain! But do be prepared for a rather uncomfortable ride on the longer journeys. My wife joked that she felt as though she had spent 3hrs in a washing machine and I must say that I felt slightly sea-sick! The car is not very stable at speeds >90km, bounces around with road bump or head wind or side wind from passing cars/ trucks.

I will be most interested in reading your impression of the X1 v. the ASX. We looked at the ASX and the Q3 but picked the X1 for the Design Cool Elegance interior and panoramic sunroof. We were completely carried by the brand regarding the mechanicals, didnt pay much attention all to them at the time, it didnt even enter our minds that BMW put cars like this on the road. Lets see what the dealer says..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

mine is different.XDRIVE 20D ,it vibrates at around 2200-2400 rpm in any gears with a droning sound before its shifts(auto).anyone have the same thing please let me as i only got this car (used)for a week and only notice it at long drive.

Last edited by JOE YOUNG; 11-04-2012 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0