XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

08 Mercedes C350 New Belt Squeaking

Hi All,

My buddy has an 08 C350 that has a rhythmic belt squeak. I have put two new OEM Continental belts on with no change to the sound. As you can see from the video, the sound is in time with the label on the belt. The pulley bearings are fine, so I can't figure this one out. Any ideas?

https://flic.kr/p/2fQUh5u

Thank you!
      05-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Been a few years since I worked on my 202 and 203 c-class but belt tensioner seemed to need replacing as if a wear item - but my belt tensioner squeal seemed of longer duration then in the video but I might be mistaken
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
mbworld dot org
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i never did it by myself but there is a way to check why there is a squeak on the belt and actually most of the time belt is not the reason..

spray some water on the inner side of the belt while engine is running of course.. if you start to hear squeaking higher it has to be a tension issue.. if squeak wont get higher, take out the belt and turn the pulley bearings should turn pretty smooth without any noise and any slack (a bit is ok).. a small slack can cause the noise also..

if its a tension issue after adjusting it to factory setting dont forget the run the engine for at least 5 mins and check it again.. so tension adjusting needs to be done twice not once.. if there is still a sound, tensioner pulley needs to be changed and tension shouldnt stay the same of course after few seconds.. better go for OEM belt also.. it should help you out.. and if there is still some noise turn off the engine and run away from that car..
Appreciate 0