XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-26-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
dtwjhwk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i (E90); 2013 X1

2013 X1 Hood wont open

So.. I had searched the forums about
"hood not opening" and finally found out that the cable on the Drivers side release had broken. I will outline the painful steps I had to take to release the hood.
1. Picture from the inside of the driver side fender wall after I removed the Plastic Shield to give me a better view of what happened (pic1)
2. Cut a hole on the inside of the grill after removing the grill. Aim to the top right of the plastic, and I used the hole to thread a small camera in to get a better view of what is going on (pic 2, pic 3)
3. You need a long, thin screw driver to push open the latch (pic 4) to release the latch
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Just went thru this earlier this year. For me, the problem was the part of the v-cable that goes to the passenger side hood latch. From my research, our cars seem to be just different enough where some the simpler cable access methods are not possible. I also learned that some people do some really cringe-worthy things to resolve this.

I ended up punting and letting the stealership fix it because, after trying various methods, I was close to using a pickax to coax the hood open. Thankfully they used the parts I had already bought from Tischer.
      03-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
dtwjhwk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i (E90); 2013 X1

yes my method was definitely cringe worthy! Had to be careful not to cut the hole near the radiator support structure, but to drill the hole more forward than rearward. Had to drill a small hole, then stick the camera in and try a few more times before I could zone in on the area where I needed to get to. What a pain in the a***
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
BimaXking
Coast Guard
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwjhwk View Post
"hood not opening" and finally found out that the cable on the Drivers side release had broken. I will outline the painful steps I had to take to release the hood.
1. Picture from the inside of the driver side fender wall after I removed the Plastic Shield to give me a better view of what happened (pic1)
2. Cut a hole on the inside of the grill after removing the grill. Aim to the top right of the plastic, and I used the hole to thread a small camera in to get a better view of what is going on (pic 2, pic 3)
3. You need a long, thin screw driver to push open the latch (pic 4) to release the latch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwjhwk View Post
Guess the lock to your hood got stuck
Appreciate 1