XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

05-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25d M-Sport 2012

X1 grille removing and replacing original black (glossy)

I tried to find out good pictures how this could be done, but I did not find any. So I decided to put up a new thread of how to change X1 original grilles to original glossy black ones. I tried earlier some aftermarket matt grilles, but they did not fit perfectly, so I ordered original ones and they fit just perfectly. Here is some pics from project.

How to
1. Pop the hood and remove 4 bolts on the top of the front bumper (Torx30)
2. Remove hood rubber sealing
3. Bend front bumper towards to yourself from the top of the bumper (it bends quite well)
4. Use a flathead screwdriver to open 3 top attachments
5. Use bended tool (I made one with metal file) to open grille attachments progressing from center to bottom
6. Last, open the outer attachment (see picture)
7. Repeat same to the other side

I cleared and painted plastic parts behind the grille with plastic paint and also painted radiator on light black with zinc paint. It looks better to my eye when there is black backround behind black grilles, but this is of course is a matter of taste.

It took appx. 1hour and two beers to whole project and next weekend I´m going to paint also lower front bumper grilles to same black as I did upper grille backround plastic parts. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Excellent, thanks for the documentation! Looks clean. I'll be doing this on my in-transit VO as well. I will tolerate no chrome on my car!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

I was taught the grab them and pull out and downward method from several BMW guys. It works just fine, but you need to protect your hands with gloves or a towel as the back of the grill is sharp. I've had mine out a few times and like I said, just grab them firmly and tug them out and slightly downward and the top tabs pop out then the others will follow... I'd assume they get easier each time the tabs pop through their holes. If you break something don't blame me! Same thing to remove the mirror caps, start closest to the car and pull them off(swapped for carbon fiber).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

That is exactly how I did mine. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25d M-Sport 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
I was taught the grab them and pull out and downward method from several BMW guys. It works just fine, but you need to protect your hands with gloves or a towel as the back of the grill is sharp. I've had mine out a few times and like I said, just grab them firmly and tug them out and slightly downward and the top tabs pop out then the others will follow... I'd assume they get easier each time the tabs pop through their holes. If you break something don't blame me! Same thing to remove the mirror caps, start closest to the car and pull them off(swapped for carbon fiber).
I did this when I put the aftermarket matte grilles on and take them off, but I succeed only to broke two attacments of matte grilles and it felt quite brutal. I also scared to broke my front bumper. But good to know that there is faster way to do it also.

BTW, here are the part numbers in case anyone needs them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
MMacx1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i M

kokkopa1

Thank You for Posting, this will be my next project.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
OaklandE84
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i

E84 Grill Removal

I deployed a hybrid of the above techniques. I really didn't feel right continually to try to jerk them out so I removed the four torx screws on top of the bumper cover. Then pulled the bumper towards me bending it just enough so I could see the top retaining clips (thanks for that 411) . I then used a flat head screw driver to depress and push back the retaining clips and pulled the top half out, just enough to give me the leverage to literally rip the rest of it out. The retaining side is metal and will not be damaged. The original grilles are useless after.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Kriston
The Ultimate Driving Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: Like Donkey Kong on Roids

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandE84 View Post
I deployed a hybrid of the above techniques. I really didn't feel right continually to try to jerk them out so I removed the four torx screws on top of the bumper cover. Then pulled the bumper towards me bending it just enough so I could see the top retaining clips (thanks for that 411) . I then used a flat head screw driver to depress and push back the retaining clips and pulled the top half out, just enough to give me the leverage to literally rip the rest of it out. The retaining side is metal and will not be damaged. The original grilles are useless after.
Did the same. Worked great and saved all the tabs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

I used a radiator hose removal tool. I'm sure it took me longer than most, but all clips were saved, minimal bending (maybe an inch pulled towards me, I did not reach in from top), and nothing had to be yanked out with excessive force.

The most difficult tab was the center/middle tab closest to the headlights. I was close to giving up and just yanking out that tab, but eventually was able to depress the tabs and release them out. There is very minimal clearance and this was the only time I had to bend the bumper towards me maybe an inch. I could see how if I had a differently shaped radiator tool, this experience could vary.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
JimMorton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 M Sport

Thanks for the information. Doing the gloss black grills as part of a recent buy.
Appreciate 0