XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #45
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
There is no doubt that today's society is much different. I'm 27, and still remember the days before internet and cell phones quite well.

I don't think all is lost, and I'll tell you why. Social media, and the media in general allows information to spread instantly. More information is available at your finger tips than ever before, so we are exposed to it constantly. 90% or more of the media is negative, because negativity is interesting and is what sells.

Think about the days before internet/social media. The only real negative media we were exposed to was the evening news, radio, and news papers. Now the negativity haunts you 24/7. It's on all social media outlets, the news plays 24 hours a day with the "latest" dumb shit you don't need to hear, and some people even get instant notifications on their phones when something happens.

If you tune a lot of this out, things get much better. Focus more on the people who are around you and who you come in contact with directly. Yeah, there will always be the asshole in traffic or the idiot co-worker, but I find that most people deep down aren't that bad. Some might be a little clueless even though their intentions are good. With the constant negativity we are exposed to it is easy to get down, I'm not immune from it either. Usually when I start expecting the worst from society someone will surprise me and I have faith in humanity again.

I know dumb people from all generations, so I wouldn't say the latest generation is anything different. I think it's just that the smart ones are out getting shit done while all the dumb useless people troll Facebook and social media all day posting their empty thoughts.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
Germanauto9652.00
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #46
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
There is no doubt that today's society is much different. I'm 27, and still remember the days before internet and cell phones quite well.

I don't think all is lost, and I'll tell you why. Social media, and the media in general allows information to spread instantly. More information is available at your finger tips than ever before, so we are exposed to it constantly. 90% or more of the media is negative, because negativity is interesting and is what sells.

Think about the days before internet/social media. The only real negative media we were exposed to was the evening news, radio, and news papers. Now the negativity haunts you 24/7. It's on all social media outlets, the news plays 24 hours a day with the "latest" dumb shit you don't need to hear, and some people even get instant notifications on their phones when something happens.

If you tune a lot of this out, things get much better. Focus more on the people who are around you and who you come in contact with directly. Yeah, there will always be the asshole in traffic or the idiot co-worker, but I find that most people deep down aren't that bad. Some might be a little clueless even though their intentions are good. With the constant negativity we are exposed to it is easy to get down, I'm not immune from it either. Usually when I start expecting the worst from society someone will surprise me and I have faith in humanity again.

I know dumb people from all generations, so I wouldn't say the latest generation is anything different. I think it's just that the smart ones are out getting shit done while all the dumb useless people troll Facebook and social media all day posting their empty thoughts.
Great response! No sarcasm, no finger pointing, no bigotry, simple experience based opinion and I agree with every word. You are wise beyond your years sir.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #47
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:

Great points! This is exactly why I've banned myself from the Politics/Religion sub-forum here. It brings out the absolute worst in people, myself included. It's not an overstatement to say that I feel noticeably happier and friendlier towards others and about life in general since abandoning that sub-forum. I have no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram. it's glorious. I may be out of touch with the news, fads, and stupid videos but I'm sure a heck of a lot happier for it.

You're totally right that deep down, most folks are decent people, especially in person. I've encountered forum members here who are pleasant, fun people to engage with but then begin hurling insults and foaming at the mouth in the Politics sub-forum. Crazy how fast emotions ratchet up in that environment. Fuses are short and everyone is on guard with their fists up.
Appreciate 6
King Rudi13147.00
are0lies4180.50
tuco44644.00
Mingwan1891.00
MKSixer34171.50
SakhirM410783.00
      05-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #48
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Great points! This is exactly why I've banned myself from the Politics/Religion sub-forum here. It brings out the absolute worst in people, myself included. It's not an overstatement to say that I feel noticeably happier and friendlier towards others and about life in general since abandoning that sub-forum. I have no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram. it's glorious. I may be out of touch with the news, fads, and stupid videos but I'm sure a heck of a lot happier for it.

You're totally right that deep down, most folks are decent people, especially in person. I've encountered forum members here who are pleasant, fun people to engage with but then begin hurling insults and foaming at the mouth in the Politics sub-forum. Crazy how fast emotions ratchet up in that environment. Fuses are short and everyone is on guard with their fists up.
Hey - I resent that - I've never gone in that subforum with my fists up or foaming at the mouth! Mostly, I rely on Scottish martial arts - which consists of a well placed headbutt, and then kick the person while he's down.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #49
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

Totally understand and agree with your view of the Politics/Religion sub-forums. While I enjoy reading them, I don't let them get to me, because in the end, they just become pissing contests. I prefer to throw in humor, simply because arguing with strangers is just not worth it. Some members take their arguments way too serious, and end up offending. If that makes them happy, so be it, but I doubt it. Something I've learned about politics, is that it is not much different from a pendulum; it swings left, and then it goes back right with the opposition throwing accusations.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #50
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
As far as jobs go, the job market changed years ago. I can remember as a youngster that people had careers and stayed at their places of employment for decades. This was the mentality that I thought would be the case when I entered the job market at an early age. This has not been the case. Employees are no longer viewed as resources but as cash cows. I personally have changed professions 4 times in the last 23 years.

I kind of wonder if part of the reason we now have this "entitlement generation" is due to the fact that the cost of living has risen dramatically while wages have remained pretty stagnant. During this time, executive compensation has also risen dramatically. The older generation harps on hard work will reap reward, and while that remains true, it seems in this day and age one must work much harder and longer for a smaller reward compared to the past.

Housing has become so expensive that it is increasingly difficult for the younger generation to buy homes or even afford rent, so more and more are living with family. For previous generations, housing costs were a much smaller percentage of their income making it far easier to purchase a home and get ahead in life at a younger age.

With the cost of living increasing and wages not keeping up, I can see how some of today's youth has become disillusioned.
      05-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #51
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Quote:
As far as jobs go, the job market changed years ago. I can remember as a youngster that people had careers and stayed at their places of employment for decades. This was the mentality that I thought would be the case when I entered the job market at an early age. This has not been the case. Employees are no longer viewed as resources but as cash cows. I personally have changed professions 4 times in the last 23 years.

I kind of wonder if part of the reason we now have this "entitlement generation" is due to the fact that the cost of living has risen dramatically while wages have remained pretty stagnant. During this time, executive compensation has also risen dramatically. The older generation harps on hard work will reap reward, and while that remains true, it seems in this day and age one must work much harder and longer for a smaller reward compared to the past.

Housing has become so expensive that it is increasingly difficult for the younger generation to buy homes or even afford rent, so more and more are living with family. For previous generations, housing costs were a much smaller percentage of their income making it far easier to purchase a home and get ahead in life at a younger age.

With the cost of living increasing and wages not keeping up, I can see how some of today's youth has become disillusioned.
I think that this is definitely part of the issue.

When I was growing up (60's-70's), all of my friends were in single-income homes. Dad worked, mom was home full-time.

One income was enough to have a good life- 2 cars, vacations every year, decent home.

Now, every family I know is a two-income family. Still at about the same economic level, but only with 2 incomes. If one were to stop working, it would not be possible to exist at the same level that our parents did.

Because of the need for two incomes, todays kids have less supervision/guidance/discipline.

It's a wicked cycle, and somehow I think that eventually we will get it right (Work/life/income balance), but there may be more pain in the short term future.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #52
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post

When I was growing up (60's-70's), all of my friends were in single-income homes. Dad worked, mom was home full-time.

One income was enough to have a good life- 2 cars, vacations every year, decent home.

Now, every family I know is a two-income family. Still at about the same economic level, but only with 2 incomes. If one were to stop working, it would not be possible to exist at the same level that our parents did.

Because of the need for two incomes, todays kids have less supervision/guidance/discipline.

It's a wicked cycle, and somehow I think that eventually we will get it right (Work/life/income balance), but there may be more pain in the short term future.
I also think it plays a part.

I have two neighbors who recently retired and moved to Florida. Both of them worked for the State and retired with full pensions. When I started working for my current company they kept telling me over and over that they couldn't believe I 'chose' a job that didn't have a pension. Even if I got hired for the same job today that they retired from, the retirement is nothing compared to what they received or even what I currently have at my company.

Times are different, employers are different.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

Agreed, very well written and directed. One of my top 10.
One of those books that is exact with the movie and both great, like true grit also.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #54
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Sheesh calm down. I was obviously exaggerating but thought the comment that it now being taboo to spank kids in today's society as a contributor to society's downfall somewhat strange.

I don't equate discipline to physical pain infliction.
Definition of discipline

1 a : control gained by enforcing obedience or order
b : orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior
c : self-control
2 : punishment
3 : training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
4 : a field of study
5 : a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity
6 obsolete : instruction

From Mr. Webster

In humans, quite physical pain is involved be it from exercise, corporal punishment, or enforcing mental rigor.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
King Rudi13147.00
      05-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #55
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Sheesh calm down. I was obviously exaggerating but thought the comment that it now being taboo to spank kids in today's society as a contributor to society's downfall somewhat strange.

Definition of discipline

1 a : control gained by enforcing obedience or order
b : orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior
c : self-control
2 : punishment
3 : training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
4 : a field of study
5 : a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity
6 obsolete : instruction

From Mr. Webster

In humans, quite physical pain is involved be it from exercise, corporal punishment, or enforcing mental rigor.
Thanks for the definition but not sure how that rebuts anything I said if that was the intent. Aside from clearly stating that I (meaning me, my personal belief) don't equate discipline with inflicting physical plain it appears that mr Webster does not either.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #56
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-power View Post
Quote:

its pretty clear you cant grasp the concept behind it so im not gonna bother talking to a wall
Grasp the concept behind what? Spanking a child? I get it, it's not a very complex thing to understand. Simply because I do not agree with the practice doesn't mean I don't understand what it is or what the intent is.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 12:01 AM   #57
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Here's my opinion from a 27 year old millennial.

Things have changed (just like they have in the past and will continue to do so into the future), however, we're at this interesting point in history where technology is really interacting with our daily lives and influencing our decisions like it never has.

It's a combination of many things that has turned society into what it is today. Things change inevitably, but society has changed quicker and has become more extreme than we've seen before.

This younger generation is the first to grow up with social media and how it influences our lives. Technology has taken off in the last 10 years or so; beginning of social media (feeling of having to keep up with the Jones' or pretend that your life is perfect or family is the perfect family), the 24 hour news cycles (shows the worst of humanity most of the time), political correctness and participation awards (someone will be offended by what someone on a forum from the other side of the country has an opinion on, parents not disciplining their children effectively or not teaching their kids what the word, "No" means (so they grow up without any moral integrity or very little respect towards others).

Kids grow up using iPads now and are completely enamored with technology in their everyday lives and expect things to happen right away or them being able to obtain something quickly without waiting patiently like older generations had to do. They want everything ON DEMAND or at the PRESS OF THE BUTTON. That philosophy translates into other aspects of this younger generation and therefore they don't show as much compassion or respect to older folks as the older generation did when they were younger. It's not because these kids are mean or rude, it's because growing up, technology and social media has been intertwined with their daily lives so they're more worried/put more energy into seeing who will be the next person to like their post or tag them in a photo on Instagram than to sit down with their grandparent and listen to stories or gain new insight or wisdom from elders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this younger generation sees things in a different way than the older generation. Sure, some are lazy, but you have lazy people in older generations as well. The younger generation has been influenced by technology and social media since they were born and it's all they know. They see that you can be successful and one of the richest people in the world by being a college dropout (CEO of Facebook) or as long as you become Youtube famous or Instagram famous then you're successful. They look at it from that point of view and not so much as from the point of view that the OP shared about how when he was younger, he'd give respect to someone in his position because they clearly made it to where they are in life from hard work and determination.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 05-19-2018 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      05-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #58
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

I'm around your age and agree with most of what you said. It's 100% true that negativity and stupid shyt follows us 24/7 if we choose to engage in social media and spend our days online. But that is basically what everybody does and it's especially toxic for kids in middle and high school as they don't have the maturity or coping mechanisms to deal with the dumb shyt in the world. Hell most of my peers my age happily buy into the nonsense they see online and I see 40+ yr olds do it all the time, so what else can we expect from children and adolescents? I was shocked when I had a 9 yr old patient the other day who was on Snapchat and her mom permitted it. How can any adult think anything good could come out of a 9 yr old having Snapchat?

I disagree that people are inherently nice deep down. Maybe I've just been burned too much by 2-faced asshats but my world view has become very cynical. I have zero trust for anybody and assume the worst until I get to know who they really are at "heart."
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      05-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #59
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Quote:

I think Entitlements are what has led to this generation:

- Everyone thinks they are entitled to an education, from student loan entitlements - so a 4 year degree now costs 10x what it did a generation ago, for exactly the same product,

- Taxes to pay for it all are off the charts now,

- Immigration has led to wages being driven down,

- Social agendas are now 50% of a high school education - vs. STEM.

This generation is accustomed to looking to the Federal government for solutions to national and world problems - instead of personal accountability, like in generations past.
King Rudi13147.00
      05-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #60
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post

Things have changed (just like they have in the past and will continue to do so into the future), however, we're at this interesting point in history where technology is really interacting with our daily lives and influencing our decisions like it never has.

It's a combination of many things that has turned society into what it is today. Things change inevitably, but society has changed quicker and has become more extreme than we've seen before.

This younger generation is the first to grow up with social media and how it influences our lives. Technology has taken off in the last 10 years or so; beginning of social media (feeling of having to keep up with the Jones' or pretend that your life is perfect or family is the perfect family), the 24 hour news cycles (shows the worst of humanity most of the time), political correctness and participation awards (someone will be offended by what someone on a forum from the other side of the country has an opinion on, parents not disciplining their children effectively or not teaching their kids what the word, "No" means (so they grow up without any moral integrity or very little respect towards others).

Kids grow up using iPads now and are completely enamored with technology in their everyday lives and expect things to happen right away or them being able to obtain something quickly without waiting patiently like older generations had to do. They want everything ON DEMAND or at the PRESS OF THE BUTTON. That philosophy translates into other aspects of this younger generation and therefore they don't show as much compassion or respect to older folks as the older generation did when they were younger. It's not because these kids are mean or rude, it's because growing up, technology and social media has been intertwined with their daily lives so they're more worried/put more energy into seeing who will be the next person to like their post or tag them in a photo on Instagram than to sit down with their grandparent and listen to stories or gain new insight or wisdom from elders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this younger generation sees things in a different way than the older generation. Sure, some are lazy, but you have lazy people in older generations as well. The younger generation has been influenced by technology and social media since they were born and it's all they know. They see that you can be successful and one of the richest people in the world by being a college dropout (CEO of Facebook) or as long as you become Youtube famous or Instagram famous then you're successful. They look at it from that point of view and not so much as from the point of view that the OP shared about how when he was younger, he'd give respect to someone in his position because they clearly made it to where they are in life from hard work and determination.
I can see why you would think that, but it's been the same for the past 100+ years, every decade:

The 1800s brought daily transport, with the completion of many national railroads, and widespread mail service

The 1890s (I think) brought Telegraph

The 1900s expanded telegraph to countries and continents

In the 1920's radio was introduced - which was revolutionary in communication. You could hear music and news from all over the world.

FDR introduces his "Fireside Chats" with the country in the 1930's, taking politics to a new plane.

The war in the 1940's was broadcast, and made "real" to the folks back home. News reels at the start of every motion picture put it all front and center for the first time.

The 1950s was TV - movies, news, etc. came into your home.

The 1960s brought more channels, and portability, and personal tape recording.

The 1970s brought personal tape decks, car telephones

The 1980s brought computers

The 1990s brought the internet

It's really been going on for 100+ years - it's not new at all.
      05-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #61
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I can see why you would think that, but it's been the same for the past 100+ years, every decade:

The 1800s brought daily transport, with the completion of many national railroads, and widespread mail service

The 1890s (I think) brought Telegraph

The 1900s expanded telegraph to countries and continents

In the 1920's radio was introduced - which was revolutionary in communication. You could hear music and news from all over the world.

FDR introduces his "Fireside Chats" with the country in the 1930's, taking politics to a new plane.

The war in the 1940's was broadcast, and made "real" to the folks back home. News reels at the start of every motion picture put it all front and center for the first time.

The 1950s was TV - movies, news, etc. came into your home.

The 1960s brought more channels, and portability, and personal tape recording.

The 1970s brought personal tape decks, car telephones

The 1980s brought computers

The 1990s brought the internet

I agree that every decade has brought us new additions to society or inventions. However, I'll argue that this is different because it changes how people interact with other people and their thought process/prioritization of things. It isn't like an inanimate object that you described in a number of decades. And if something can change the way people interact with one another then it could possibly start to erode human and moral values that older generations have cherished or had held respect for. It's like a dominos effect- it's only a matter of time before other things can start to change whether that's losing sight of the golden rule (treat others the way you'd like to be treated) or prioritizing scrolling on instagram over being in the present and having dinner with your family and loved ones.

Again, the world we live in and the intersection we're currently at with respect to technology, social media, and society/politics doesn't come around every 10 years or so. They're all intertwined with each other and it's because we are as interconnected as we've ever been. Technology is being developed and engineered so rapidly that we can't keep up and it's making way for social media which then plays a role in our society and politics. This is all my opinion, and there are MANY other things and reasons that have shaped society into what it is today, but I believe this is a big reason why things and society are the way they are today.

The big question is how does all of this look in 10-20 years? What about 40 years? How will society look? Will it be better than what the OP is describing?

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 05-19-2018 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
bbbbmw2393.50
King Rudi13147.00
      05-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #62
boca1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 z4 3.0si

only problem I have with kids today is they walk so fuckin slow in crosswalks
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      05-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #63
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post

Very much this! This type of family life ruined my sisters second marriage. Both, her and her husband, are very business minded and very successful; great jobs, great work ethic, nice home, cars, etc. Five years in, no one in the family spoke to each other. Son was playing video games in his room, daughter in her room watching Sponge Bob, Father in his office constantly working, mother cleaning home or scrolling Facebook. Eventually it became the son was on drugs and in trouble for online porn (porn isn't enough to cause trouble, it was more so of the content of particular porn), daughter being exposed to things online that did not coincide with the family "values", father cheating (actually impregnating another member of their church, her husband was in the brother in laws prayer group) and the mother hooked on Xanax.

We have lost sight of what is important chasing the almighty dollar and all that it represents. Having nice houses, nice cars, etc. has become more important that our own families.

Quote:

Very well stated. I think that a lot of the older generation doesn't take all of this into account when forming our opinions. Thank you for your insight. I see this with my two boys are now graduated and are trying to find their place in life. The youngest is going to college in the fall and has direction, albeit he isn't happy about living a modest life but he has goals and is working toward them for financial security in the future. The oldest is still struggling with watching people become "rich" by alternative means....I fear for his future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I disagree that people are inherently nice deep down. Maybe I've just been burned too much by 2-faced asshats but my world view has become very cynical. I have zero trust for anybody and assume the worst until I get to know who they really are at "heart."
I too am this way. We all end up being burned by those we care about the most and created a cycle of "screw everyone, I'll take care of myself." There is good and bad associated with this mindset. The good in this is that we all need to learn to take care of and love ourselves before we can take care of or love anyone else; however, this creates the mentality of selfishness and lack of concern for others problems.

Recently I was told by a dear friend, who actually just became a member here, "We have to fill our cups first and fill other cups by the runoff." Hard lesson to learn but I've been trying to live by this lately. It's very easy to get sucked into other people problems, wants and needs all while neglecting our own.

Quote:
I think Entitlements are what has led to this generation:

- Everyone thinks they are entitled to an education, from student loan entitlements - so a 4 year degree now costs 10x what it did a generation ago, for exactly the same product,

- Taxes to pay for it all are off the charts now,

- Immigration has led to wages being driven down,

- Social agendas are now 50% of a high school education - vs. STEM.

This generation is accustomed to looking to the Federal government for solutions to national and world problems - instead of personal accountability, like in generations past.
This is very true. Anytime that this type of outlook crossed my mind I think of the chaos that was hurricane Katrina. All too many people blamed the government for not taking care of them. Rioting, looting, rape, etc. ran rampant. In 1900 a hurricane ripped through Galveston Texas and the governments only involvement was dispensing liquor to numb those who had to burn the bodies of the deceased before they could rebuild their own town. The people of Galveston realized that in order to rebuild they had to do it themselves rather than waste time blaming anyone. This is what we need to get back to.

Quote:

I have to disagree here. Although this has been the trend for the past 100+ years, technology is now piggy backing other technology which is causing it to increase at alarming rates. The only reference that comes to mind to reference is the Fibonacci.

Quote:
I agree that every decade has brought us new additions to society or inventions. However, I'll argue that this is different because it changes how people interact with other people and their thought process/prioritization of things. It isn't like an inanimate object that you described in a number of decades. And if something can change the way people interact with one another then it could possibly start to erode human and moral values that older generations have cherished or had held respect for. It's like a dominos effect- it's only a matter of time before other things can start to change whether that's losing sight of the golden rule (treat others the way you'd like to be treated) or prioritizing scrolling on instagram over being in the present and having dinner with your family and loved ones.

Again, the world we live in and the intersection we're currently at with respect to technology, social media, and society/politics doesn't come around every 10 years or so. They're all intertwined with each other and it's because we are as interconnected as we've ever been. Technology is being developed and engineered so rapidly that we can't keep up and it's making way for social media which then plays a role in our society and politics. This is all my opinion, and there are MANY other things and reasons that have shaped society into what it is today, but I believe this is a big reason why things and society are the way they are today.

The big question is how does all of this look in 10-20 years? What about 40 years? How will society look? Will it be better than what the OP is describing?
This.

I would like to thank all of you for your opinions. There have been some that I agree with and some that I don't but there has also been new light shed in areas to which I had not previously thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #64
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boca1 View Post
only problem I have with kids today is they walk so fuckin slow in crosswalks
This does indeed piss me off. This coupled along with people who refuse to pay attention to crosswalks by being too busy playing with their phones to pay attention where they are walking. Yes pedestrians have the right of way, but only in a crosswalk. If one is too busy being enamored by their phone to notice they walking in front of a moving car then Darwin's theory should be exercised in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #65
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This.

I would like to thank all of you for your opinions. There have been some that I agree with and some that I don't but there has also been new light shed in areas to which I had not previously thought.
I can't agree that people are parasites. Humans are the only species with reason, and that makes us inherently different, for better/worse; better is compassion, and a sense of something greater than ourselves, and worse is the capacity for pride - which leads to all the evils described in this thread.

Children raised without a sense of something greater leads to a personal vacuum that's very negative in adulthood - because in the absence of it, all we have to rely upon is our own perspective - which is always skewed - mine included.
      05-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #66
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
This does indeed piss me off. This coupled along with people who refuse to pay attention to crosswalks by being too busy playing with their phones to pay attention where they are walking. Yes pedestrians have the right of way, but only in a crosswalk. If one is too busy being enamored by their phone to notice they walking in front of a moving car then Darwin's theory should be exercised in my opinion.
I must admit that I quite enjoy being in stealth mode (all electric), and blowing the horn to awaken them from their reverie. They jump every time.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
King Rudi13147.00