XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

12-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #1
jake1234
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i GT (G32)

Android Head Unit Install on CIC

Hi All..I recently bought an Android head unit for my 13 X1 with the CIC screen.
I bought his unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AISI...43694c4dsPU01i

I have been trying to find instructions and/or a video on how to install it, but so far every video and instructions I've found are for installing it on an X1 without the CIC screen.

Can anyone help me with some instructions for CIC? I am hoping it is a bit simpler then what I have seen already for without having the factory screen already.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #2
alex1991
Private
Rep
Drives: E84 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1234 View Post
Hi All..I recently bought an Android head unit for my 13 X1 with the CIC screen.
I bought his unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AISI...43694c4dsPU01i

I have been trying to find instructions and/or a video on how to install it, but so far every video and instructions I've found are for installing it on an X1 without the CIC screen.

Can anyone help me with some instructions for CIC? I am hoping it is a bit simpler then what I have seen already for without having the factory screen already.

Thanks in advance!

Here you go, it is the same installation by CIC and NBT
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
jjrolls
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

How did this go? I'm trying to get it working for my car now. That installation video is different from how my '14 is built
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
satyachokkap
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84

Android

nice video.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #5
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

just installed Xtrons unit:
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
v34l
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

I installed the 12.3" screen from 4X4.ca last weekend. WIP pics:

Had to mess with the settings a bit to get the OEM screen to display right. The UI of the OEM screen would be cut off and the E84 settings all were various fails:

I think I ended up having to pick the F48 NBT setting, and it's all gooder now!

I really wished there was a video of taking the HU out of a 35i. What a PITA. It's one of those things after I had it all apart, I thought "wow, if I only knew about those 2 stupid tabs, I could have saved 4 hours." Oh well. I might upload a video when I get to phase 2 of this project.

While the center console was out, I removed the phone cradle. Here, I have a ESR Halo window mount in the cupholder of the armrest for now:

Future state, I want to print a holder that'll hold my iPhone 12 Pro Max and utilize the USB in the armrest so it looks stock.

Also took the opportunity to replace the shift lever for a LED one. Yeah, I'll be that guy.

The LEDs in the console don't light up now to correspond with the gear selector, because why run that 5th wire?. I'm going to redo the harness because the Chinesium one is hot garbage with Dunlop connectors on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep

12.3" screen WTF...where?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 11:43 PM   #8
v34l
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botlfed98 View Post
12.3" screen WTF...where?
4x4.ca

Kind of bummed now that they have the Android 11 out.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
v34l
Rep

I had a PM about this unit and I wanted to post my thoughts on it after having it awhile, some of this information I wished I had known about prior.

Basically this conversion is a android tablet running in tandem with the CiC display. It's like having 2 radios in your car but you don't have to flip a switch to change between the two. While the vehicle CAN information also goes to the Android unit, they still exist as separate entities. That means all your OEM functions will work like they had before, however you're going to have to un-pair your Bluetooth from your phone to your car and not pair it again, otherwise the CarPlay will not work.

The Android screen is by default always on, and if you do something like hit the one of the menu or shortcut buttons on the iDrive controller, or you put the car into reverse, the Android system disappears and your original OEM units takes over. It senses when the iDrive menu needs to be displayed and seamlessly switches.

With that said, there is some clunkiness with the interfacing of the two. As mentioned, you can't be connected to your vehicles Bluetooth - you have to be connected to the Bluetooth and Wifi of the Android unit. I have a personal iPhone and a work iPhone. I can get business calls through my old unit but my personal doesn't ring in the headhunt due to CarPlay and I have driving focus turned on by default since iOS 15.

The sound comes from the Android unit into your original unit via 3.5mm AUX input. There is no easy workaround for this that I know of. The sound is decent, however there is a noticeable noise floor that can be heard if you don't have your climate control on. Because the sound comes through that Aux connection, listening to CDs, Sat radio, internal storage, etc turns into a "rub your head an pat your tummy" dance to switch back to the Android unit.

Another gripe is occasionally, the sound will completely drop out and it'll sound like you're sitting in the car with a passenger listening to your music with headphones on. Usually in a couple seconds it returns to normal.

Another quirk is that sometimes in CarPlay, Siri becomes totally inaudible. I don't know what causes this. On the contrary, if you have Waze open and you're cruising along, a VERY LOUD ANNOUNCEMENT may sometimes come over the speakers and scare the shit out of you. Because the iDrive system and the Android system don't have a volume display, it's hard to gauge the level, so you might be straining one time and overwhelmed another. I will say though that the loud Waze blast only happened to me once, where Siri getting quiet happens once a week.

PROS:
  • Duh...CarPlay.
  • way better screen than OEM.
  • Touch capable now!
  • screen makes your aging infotainment system look more modern without shelling out for a new car
  • ease of install and integration with your CANbus. Digital gauge mode! See how many gallons are in your gas tank!
  • ability to use apps without tethering to a proprietary console dock or BMW deciding you're no longer supported
  • retain steering controls and iDrive controls

CONS:
  • Quirky behavior, your mileage may vary
  • Double DAC conversion from Android system to AUX in on OEM unit + noise
  • the resolution of the OEM backup camera is really going to be a pain, especially if you're facing the sun
  • Long boot time to get to CarPlay mode
  • Sometimes your phone just won't pair
  • Driver warnings do not show up on Android screen unless you go into OEM mode.
  • The included music is terrible on the Android unit, just let me get rid of it.
  • The full screen video mode on my screen is stretched due to not being a 19x10 aspect ratio.

At the end of the day though, I'm glad I got it. My only real "dealbreaker" was I wished the audio stayed digital until the OEM headunit, and I wished the two systems were blended more seamlessly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #10
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep

Nice review! Does it allow capabilities to hookup an external amplifier ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #11
C0D3M4N
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4, 2014 BMW X1

i need to look into one of these...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #12
makisv88
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84 sdrive 20d

Hi to all !!! In my x1 just install a android unit with wired CarPlay (adapter included) . But it doesn't work when I plug the iPhone.do you know if I need any app for these ? The unit ordered from AliExpress (Sadocom)[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #13
FilCar
Portugal
Rep

Really appreciated the well structured and knowledgeable review!
There 2 problems, at least for me, with this Android setup: having to unpair the iPhone off the CIC, and having to have a cable connecting to the AUX.
Probably someone will find solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v34l View Post
I had a PM about this unit and I wanted to post my thoughts on it after having it awhile, some of this information I wished I had known about prior.

Basically this conversion is a android tablet running in tandem with the CiC display. It's like having 2 radios in your car but you don't have to flip a switch to change between the two. While the vehicle CAN information also goes to the Android unit, they still exist as separate entities. That means all your OEM functions will work like they had before, however you're going to have to un-pair your Bluetooth from your phone to your car and not pair it again, otherwise the CarPlay will not work.

The Android screen is by default always on, and if you do something like hit the one of the menu or shortcut buttons on the iDrive controller, or you put the car into reverse, the Android system disappears and your original OEM units takes over. It senses when the iDrive menu needs to be displayed and seamlessly switches.

With that said, there is some clunkiness with the interfacing of the two. As mentioned, you can't be connected to your vehicles Bluetooth - you have to be connected to the Bluetooth and Wifi of the Android unit. I have a personal iPhone and a work iPhone. I can get business calls through my old unit but my personal doesn't ring in the headhunt due to CarPlay and I have driving focus turned on by default since iOS 15.

The sound comes from the Android unit into your original unit via 3.5mm AUX input. There is no easy workaround for this that I know of. The sound is decent, however there is a noticeable noise floor that can be heard if you don't have your climate control on. Because the sound comes through that Aux connection, listening to CDs, Sat radio, internal storage, etc turns into a "rub your head an pat your tummy" dance to switch back to the Android unit.

Another gripe is occasionally, the sound will completely drop out and it'll sound like you're sitting in the car with a passenger listening to your music with headphones on. Usually in a couple seconds it returns to normal.

Another quirk is that sometimes in CarPlay, Siri becomes totally inaudible. I don't know what causes this. On the contrary, if you have Waze open and you're cruising along, a VERY LOUD ANNOUNCEMENT may sometimes come over the speakers and scare the shit out of you. Because the iDrive system and the Android system don't have a volume display, it's hard to gauge the level, so you might be straining one time and overwhelmed another. I will say though that the loud Waze blast only happened to me once, where Siri getting quiet happens once a week.

PROS:
  • Duh...CarPlay.
  • way better screen than OEM.
  • Touch capable now!
  • screen makes your aging infotainment system look more modern without shelling out for a new car
  • ease of install and integration with your CANbus. Digital gauge mode! See how many gallons are in your gas tank!
  • ability to use apps without tethering to a proprietary console dock or BMW deciding you're no longer supported
  • retain steering controls and iDrive controls

CONS:
  • Quirky behavior, your mileage may vary
  • Double DAC conversion from Android system to AUX in on OEM unit + noise
  • the resolution of the OEM backup camera is really going to be a pain, especially if you're facing the sun
  • Long boot time to get to CarPlay mode
  • Sometimes your phone just won't pair
  • Driver warnings do not show up on Android screen unless you go into OEM mode.
  • The included music is terrible on the Android unit, just let me get rid of it.
  • The full screen video mode on my screen is stretched due to not being a 19x10 aspect ratio.

At the end of the day though, I'm glad I got it. My only real "dealbreaker" was I wished the audio stayed digital until the OEM headunit, and I wished the two systems were blended more seamlessly.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 02:32 AM   #14
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

My 2013 X1 does not have the idrive which android unit would be better and easier to install. Hopefully with instructions and a user friendly manual
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:13 PM   #15
Bimmer_family
Registered
Rep
Drives: '19 540i X, '19 X3m40i, 13 X1

Question Similar help needed on Car Play

First off, pardon my ignorance on any of this, including common acronyms used. I am new to BMW, recently selling all my Mercedes and becoming a 100% BMW family now. I have a 2019 549i w/ Xdrive, my wife bought a 2019 X3 m40i w/ XDrive and my daughter has a 2013 X1 XDrive.

Anyway to my ask. I picked up a 2013 X1 2.8 for my daughter's first car. The car is great. However, it is a base model without a screen (has the cubby currently), without iDrive, and without a backup camera. I am looking to add a screen where the cubby is for Apple Car Play and a backup camera. I am pretty handy with car audio and can likely navigate (with help of course) the installation. The problem I am having is finding the right unit to purchase that solves all this. The first video (awesome btw) posted by ALEX1991 (
) is exactly what I am looking for. Car Play, idrive addition and backup camera. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance....
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #16
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

I purchased my Android Head Unit from Avin, here is the link: https://avinusa.com/12-30-multimedia...2009-2016.html

They were pretty easy to work with and they provide some software updates on their website as well, along with a support section. These units don't come with any instructions or very little instructions, but they are relatively simple to install.

I bought an older version of the unit I linked above, but it looks about the same. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #17
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep

that looks pretty slick, not a horrible price & a ton of options!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 11:28 AM   #18
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
Andream BMW E84 head unit firmware updated setup info

Andream Android 10 headunit is installed, factory cic with factory display deleted but lost the satilytte option supplied the splitter but installer did not use it . do i have to have a sim card installed for better playback options this has been confusing as no one knows how to program or load this headunit, i can sit by wifi and do stuff but beyond the default stuff im a little lost firmware update? Austin area has 1 place that put in unit but they do avin, wish it worked better and did more guess a large usb storage unit would allow more movies and things, sim card will add 50 bucks a month to bill and its only 4 g not 5 g. Att is my phone carrier. this item seems to needs some updates from a savy installer to optimize applications with more current software. i have a samsung S22ultra and can do mirroring seems i am not to sharp as to options with this hardware setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 01:33 AM   #19
azizsaputra
Registered
Rep

Where to buy iDrive Controller from mekede brand

hey all,
can you tell me where i can buy iDrive Controller Knob from MEKEDE Brand?
my Android Screen in BMW E84 is from GS, and GS is Mekede Vendor right?
i need this part but dont know where to buy
Appreciate 0