XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-29-2024, 01:37 PM   #1
newbeemerguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Exclamation Seeming Major Oil Leak - From block?

Hey everyone!

I’m a somewhat new BMW owner. I have a 2014 x1 28ix. N20 engine. Sport line. My only modification is a AFE cold air intake.

She’s been through a lot, involved in a front end crash, resulting in 15k in damage, repaired at BMW.

6 months ago I replaced the valve gasket. Idiotically I didn’t replace anything else, including the valve cover.

I’ve got some buildup on the exhaust, and last night I noticed a drop in oil level and some oil in multiple spots on the block, and by the cap. Replaced the cap as it had a lot of oil around it and I did a diy smoke test by it, terrible seal. Alas, there’s still a leak.

I tried doing some research, gave a look around the forums but really only found info on gasket/valve cover. I’ve attached some pictures if anyone has any ideas.

Side note: I noticed some debris on the seal of the old oil cap. Any recommendations to get my oil tested?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 11:17 AM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Wow, that's a lot of oil dripping onto your exhaust manifold. I'm not saying to stop driving the car but you need to get that fixed ASAP, that's a fire hazard.

You can test your oil with UV dye, but at this point you should be putting on a new valve cover and the gasket regardless. These are very likely to be cracked beforehand and if they are messed with, ie: when you replaced the gasket, it's a sure bet. No point in trying to JB weld or repair, just get a new set.

I also noticed that the plastic engine cover is not attached and the vacuum hose is loose. Do you normally have the cover on and just took it off for photos? The reservoir on the underside of the cover and the vac hose often contains oil, which could be the source of your drip onto the manifold.

Probably worthwhile to degrease your engine so you can see where the leak(s) is coming from. Best of luck
Appreciate 0