Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-13-2023, 05:45 PM   #1
wesleyfrommd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Help Needed *Reduced Power - Engine Malfunction*

Hello All,

I have a 2014 X1 2.8 XDrive. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that after driving for an hour or so, every time that I restarted the SUV I would get the "Reduced Power/Half Engine" light and the car would be in limp mode. This only happens after I have been driving the car for a long period of time.

Sometimes if I turn the car off and restart it again, the "check engine light" comes on but the Reduced Power/Half Engine light does not appear and the car drives as normal just with the CEL on.

Other times, the Reduced Power/Half Engine light comes on no matter home many times i try to restart the car. Only if i let it sit for 1 or 2 hours, does that Reduced Power/Half Engine light not appear.

Int he morning when the engine has not been running, I have no problems. It seems to only occured when the engine is hot or has been running for a long time.

I am sure that many other have experienced this.

What things can I check or rule out before I go the dealer and they shank me for a new kidney just to diagnose this problem?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 09:31 PM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Do you have access to a fault code reader? Or use one from autozone (or the like)?

Any stutter at any time under acceleration?
      11-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #3
wesleyfrommd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I need to get it fixed as quickly and economically as possible. The code reader pulls the P1209 code and when in limp mode it seems that the turbos are not working; I dont hear the "hisssss" of the turbos at all. Surprisingly, last night I went to the store, the check engine light was still on but I had "FULL POWER" and the turbos engaged as normal.

Could it be that the wastegate is getting stuck open or closed which casuses the reduced power?

I see that some people have replaced the westegate acuator and some say that they replaced the wastegate solenoid. What is the difference?

The dealer quoted me $550 for the new wastegate but said that they could not find a separate solenoid part or part number. Is the solenoid just a part of the entire wastergate or is it a separate part?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Hi wesleyfrommd,

You seem to have a strange problem. I couldn't find any information about a P1209 code on the N20 engine. It seems nobody else has had this issue or even knows what the code means. The closest thing I found was on the E9X M3 forums, which is likely irrelevant to the N20 engine.

It is highly unlikely that there would be no discussion of a code that triggers limp mode. Either the scanner misread the codes or you are missing several others.

Try reading codes again with a BMW-specific scanner. I would be very surprised if you get a P1209 code by itself again. If you are ever in limp mode, there should be at least five error codes, and they should clearly point you to what is wrong.

My only thought is that if you had a P12A9 code instead of P1209, that signals an over-boost situation, which is very much a wastegate related issue. N20 wastegates are known to get stuck, and this can happen either open or closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
maxwmiller
Private
Rep

In regards to limp mode operation, the wastegate is fully opened when Reduced Power code is triggered, which deactivates the turbocharger. This is not just a minor inconvenience, it is a protective strategy that the ECU uses when it has detected a potentially major issue.

As a result, the turbine will not spool, you will not hear the noise made during boost, nor feel the additional power that is normally gained. Your car behaves like a NA 4 cylinder, and a poorly running one at that. Driving in limp mode for extended periods of time is guaranteed to shorten the life of your vehicle.

If your issue is wastegate related, this is going to be on the more expensive side, and no, it will not get less expensive by waiting. While it does not seem like this is your case, it is possible for wastegate issues to ruin a turbo or outright blow the engine up.

Also, unless you are still under warranty or have a special agreement, never ever go to the dealership first. They do not make money when aging cars are kept in good shape. Try going to an independent European mechanic first. If that doesn't work, get a second indy opinion. If that fails too, only then go to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #6
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwmiller View Post
Hi wesleyfrommd,

You seem to have a strange problem. I couldn't find any information about a P1209 code on the N20 engine.
It's likely the original poster intended to note a P1290 code, and mistyped.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #7
maxwmiller
Private
Rep

I see, that would have been helpful.
At any rate, probably best to go to a mechanic now. Driving for two months in and out of limp mode may have damaged other components too.
Appreciate 0