Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
carronade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 (E84)

Front indicator problem - could the tail lights be the cause

My accident free '15 E84 is no longer accident free due to a delivery van trying to fit across an interection on the early red. Took out the rear bumper and left a paint scuff on the right tail light lenses but fortunately didn't bend any metal. I took it to a BMW accredited shop and will now try not to look too closely at the different shades of silver paint.

If I had made the paint scuff on the lenses I would have removed it with a plastic scraper, but the insurance rules require them be replaced if touched at all. Except they have to use USED parts if available. So they took out my used tail light assembly ..... and replaced it with another used one. I wasn't paying so I didn't question it.

Got the car back on Thursday and on the weekend got the fast clicker noise and an error message for the right front indicator lamp. Sure enough tail and mirror lights are working but not the front. Seemed like a straighforward bulb replacement, except when I was getting ready to look at it, it came back to life and the error went away. It has been on and off since. The bulb checks out, the socket is clean, and the harness connections that I can touch are seated fine.

A light going out and then coming on suggests a short or a bad ground. That leads me to suspect the wiring in the light assembly might be bad.

I will replace the bulb with a new one just in case there is a weird intermittent problem there, but before I go down the path of having the expense for a front assembly my question is this:

Has anyone found that a bad tail light assembly caused this kind of problem at the front? I can't quite shake the coincidence of a right side problem after right side work, even if it was at the rear. Thanks
Appreciate 0