Robert S
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #24
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Last year I brought my x28i complaining about some lag. It turns out to be that the automatic ECU needed to have an update flash.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

I have gotten used to it but sometimes its annoying. Worse with the AC on high. Just have to push down slowly on the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #26
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

My previous 328i had very noticeable throttle lag but can't say i notice any lag on my X1.
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #27
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Isn’t ther3 a way to reset the throttle pedal. .? Thot I saw that somewhere
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #28
ketenhelva
Rep
Drives: X1 E84

We bought a CPO 2015 E84 X1 x18d xDrive for my wife, has 25000 miles on it and pretty solid and clean, almost like new, not much used and pretty loaded up. Coded the USB/Bluetooth Audio and the only thing she misses is the automatic boot opener/closer.

With a 143 hp engine, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as swift as my 2013 F31 184 hp, but thought it would provide sufficient and satisfying power, as I had also tested a 318d and it was pretty fine to drive, but went with the 320d anyway.

I did the TBA given here and it definitely helped for the slow-starts. But not too much. Sometimes I use the car, but after my 320d it feels like a sloth. My F31 in Eco-Pro mode feels more responsive. With the F31 sometimes I give some gas (just do a 0-50 miles) and my little daughter wows, we also feel the power and acceleration, but with the X1, it is a pig, feeling like driving my old Opel Corsa (OK that was a little bit exaggerated).

I know that this forum is mostly US-centric and x18d and x20d are not popular (or not offered?) there, but I would like some insight from you guys before going back to the dealer to complain. (I live in Germany, and around the homebase of BMW, but the language spoken here is not yet my strongest point).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #29
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketenhelva View Post
I know that this forum is mostly US-centric and x18d and x20d are not popular (or not offered?)
Diesels are heavily shunned over here and very limited as a whole to certain models (X1 not being available). Just as we were making headway the whole VW thing broke out.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #30
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

FYI - I was able to reduced/eliminated most of the throttle lag by installed a Sprint Booster on my 2014 xDrive28i. Easy to install, direct plug in and route wire. Search on 'Sprint Booster Power Converter' for more information.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #31
ketenhelva
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Diesels are heavily shunned over here and very limited as a whole to certain models (X1 not being available). Just as we were making headway the whole VW thing broke out.
In fact I'd never thought that I would ever drive a diesel. When I've first moved to Germany and looked for my options, I was extremely surprised that, at the dealer, for each petrol car, like 99 diesel cars were available. And they were comparably cheap too (from where I came from, the premium you pay for the diesel engine is high, as the fuel is considerably cheaper). I'm guessing that it was probably because of the VW thing.

On a side note, I'd never thought that I would ever drive an automatic either, but that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #32
ketenhelva
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
FYI - I was able to reduced/eliminated most of the throttle lag by installed a Sprint Booster on my 2014 xDrive28i. Easy to install, direct plug in and route wire. Search on 'Sprint Booster Power Converter' for more information.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did the search and watched a video review, cars installed seem to be really responsive, but there is no way I'm installing a third party device under the throttle, I think it is just not worth the risk, your mileage may vary.

I've done the TBA reset which makes the car a little bit responsive again and then drove around the town like an asshole for a week or so, but the responsiveness is now back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #33
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

i changes my spark plugs, made a difference and reset the tranny adaptation

Last edited by mreric; 12-07-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #34
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did the search and watched a video review, cars installed seem to be really responsive, but there is no way I'm installing a third party device under the throttle, I think it is just not worth the risk, your mileage may vary.

I've done the TBA reset which makes the car a little bit responsive again and then drove around the town like an asshole for a week or so, but the responsiveness is now back to normal.

I had the same experience. I reset the throttle, and It seemed noticeably more responsive, for about 4 warm up cycles, and then back to normal. Sometimes the transmission seems "lazy" coming out of first, but other report the same thing. The 6spd auto, while relatively reliable, is old, and not very refined.

I do wish the 8spd had been available in the 35i. OR that BMW still put the 3.0L into the X1. I like the new X1's, but I'm not looking for 240hp...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #35
ketenhelva
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
I do wish the 8spd had been available in the 35i. OR that BMW still put the 3.0L into the X1. I like the new X1's, but I'm not looking for 240hp...
My wife's X1 has the 8spd version, still hesitates. My 320d 8spd feels like a space rocket compared to it. When we have some spare time, we'll just try these puppies side by side on the infamous German Autobahns to see how much the X1 lags. Maybe it is just psychological
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #36
b00gers
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

I have a 2015 sDrive28i. It use to really really bug me because I came from a cable throttle. Now, I probably adapted to driving with that lag. The "reset" seems to work for a little while - or it could be my butt dyno telling me that. I can sit at a stop, stab the pedal quickly, and the RPMs would not even budge.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #37
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Last year I brought my x28i complaining about some lag. It turns out to be that the automatic ECU needed to have an update flash.

Can you post the RO for this? IS there a TSB available? I have a 35i, but maybe it's the same TSB?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #38
ketenhelva
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes I use the car, but after my 320d it feels like a sloth. My F31 in Eco-Pro mode feels more responsive. With the F31 sometimes I give some gas (just do a 0-50 miles) and my little daughter wows, we also feel the power and acceleration, but with the X1, it is a pig, feeling like driving my old Opel Corsa (OK that was a little bit exaggerated).
Hey guys, so I just wanted to update you all. I got an appointment and took the car to the dealer (main dealer owned by BMW themselves, in its home state Bavaria). I told about the lack of responsiveness and some vibration in low and high RPMs. We took the car for a ride together with a senior service representative. The guy just floored the gas and said that he drives tens of BMWs each day and my car had no problems in terms of driving performance.

As you might have imagined, I was very frustrated. A couple of months later, it was time for the car's second oil change. As the main dealer is half an hour drive (for US it's next door I now), I took it to our local BMW dealer next door. Standard stuff has been done. Oil change and as in every second oil change, oil and fuel filters are also replaced.

OH MY GOD. It is now a different car! It drives very well, without any problems or vibrations. The problems are gone.

It is pretty strange, as the car was CPO, had relative low milage and in Germany, diesel fuel is known to be pretty clean and extremely regulated.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #39
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive35i

This throttle lag from a stop is RIDICULOUS, if not outright dangerous.

I've had the car for about a year now - my wife drives it mostly and clearly has gotten used to it. I have a 2001 525i, which she drove back home after dropping me to get the X1 which had new tires put on. She was SHOCKED at the 525i - completely forgot it drives like that - the thing takes off like a bandit from the line. It's awesome. And it has renewed my quest to find a solution to this engineering embarrassment. I do love the car with some minor exceptions (road noise, and harsher ride - hoping the non-RFTs will solve that - one thing at a time!)

I honestly wasn't where to post this to contribute, having read the many, many threads about this problem, but figured this was the latest one. This was the other comprehensive thread I found from bimmerfest: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=561263&page=6
titled "The Official “Tip-In” / “Acceleration/Throttle Delay” Resolution Thread"

At any rate, my X1 is an E84 2015 xDrive35i, with 41,000 miles on it.

It's not as bad as some have described, but can definitely do the "throttle stab" test and it just starts rolling a bit by the time the accelerator gets all the way down to the ground and then back up. I can't even begin to get close to the floor with the 2001 525i. I might make a video. This X1 is not a BMW in any sense of the brand when compared to an old E39 14 years younger. Once it gets going, it's fine and shifts are nice and smooth. Not good from a stop though.

The problem may be *slightly* better in Sport mode, but the hesitation is still clear, and in my opinion, unacceptable for a BMW. And the tranny must be engaged because it will start moving forward right when I take my foot off the break.

And it's obviously not turbo lag. Pretty shocked to see some dealers giving that for a reason. My 2001 (yes, drive-by-cable - so what?) has no turbo and a smaller engine. Nothing to do with the turbo, clearly.

I tried the Throttle Body Alignment reset a while back, with hardly any discernible difference. May do that again as it's easy to do.

I may use my ISTA+ setup to reset the transmission adaptation settings but curious to hear what others have to say about that.

Other possibilities I have read:
  • Pedal Box - Sprint Booster, REMUS Responder, Pedal Box
  • Spark Plugs? Find hard to believe, but read this helped someone else
  • Battery? - Find hard to believe, but read this helped someone else
  • Reset transmission adaptation settings.
  • Transmission Flash - Alpina B6
  • BMW Software Update? - Transmission or ECU?
  • Service Bulletin I'm not aware of?

I find it hard to believe the drive-by-wire could have much to do with it. Electricity travels at the speed of light. And look at the other electronics that control things like traction control systems, which have to react almost instantly. Or the airbags!? LOL...

At this point, should I approach a dealer about this? Everything I've read seems to say the dealer indicates this is how the car was "designed"? If so, then I'm confident in saying that BMW basically ruined the car.

Eagerly looking forward to others thoughts on this. Can those that claim they don't have the issue test by stabbing the pedal to the ground and confirming their car shoots off the line?

Sorry if I sound extremely discouraged :-)

Guess it's time for a cocktail!

Last edited by jhirsch123; 01-20-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:51 PM   #40
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

I have custom MHD tune + XHP Stage3 on my car. I don't notice any throttle lag at all. I am unsure if it is MHD or XHP that has fixed the stock throttle lag... Since you have a N55 X1, just grab the two flashes and have fun.
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #41
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
I have custom MHD tune + XHP Stage3 on my car. I don't notice any throttle lag at all. I am unsure if it is MHD or XHP that has fixed the stock throttle lag... Since you have a N55 X1, just grab the two flashes and have fun.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard that some of the flash tunes address this.

I have a Sprint Booster but may return it if that is the case. It appears now that MHD has a flash tune available (not necessary to pull the ECU to send it and get it locked), but from what I've read there are still bugs.

I also ordered the Dinan (which is supposed to address throttle response also), but did so before realizing that MHD now has an easy way to flash. I'm seriously considering returning the Dinan for the fact that they don't really seem to have their act together - I will spare the drama on that.

I presume you had to get your ECU unlocked for the MHD tune?

Regarding MHD, it appears there are still some bugs in our stage one map for the N55 though, so I really don't know what to do, other than keep on reading and learning. Will report back.

Best,

Last edited by jhirsch123; 02-01-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #42
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsch123 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have heard that some of the flash tunes address this.

I have a Sprint Booster but may return it if that is the case. It appears now that MHD has a flash tune available (not necessary to pull the ECU to send it and get it locked), but from what I've read there are still bugs.

I also ordered the Dinan (which is supposed to address throttle response also), but did so before realizing that MHD now has an easy way to flash. I'm seriously considering returning the Dinan for the fact that they don't really seem to have their act together - I will spare the drama on that.

I presume you had to get your ECU unlocked for the MHD tune?

Regarding MHD, it appears there are still some bugs in our stage one map for the N55 though, so I really don't know what to do, other than keep on reading and learning. Will report back.

Best,
OK, so I installed the Sprint Booster today and all I can say is OH. MY. DEAR. LORD. I'm annoyed I didn't do this the day I got the car.

There is no question this, or another pedal tuner of some sort (BMS Pedal Tuner, Remus Responder, etc) is the way to go here. And even though I plan on a tune at some point (which I understand does address this problem to some degree), I'm still convinced I'm going to want the added level of customization of the throttle response. And frankly, now that I can unleash the full potential of the stock engine, maybe I actually don't need a tune.

It's really too bad because it shouldn't have come with this much lag stock. As annoying as it is to have to spend extra money, at least I won't be scared when I have to cross traffic.

From my research, I could have saved $100 by going with another vendor (and suppose I could return it to opt for another), but I like that I can remove the selector cable once I get it dialed in, and that it's small should I choose to leave it.

From my research, they were the first to market here, and there are plenty of knockoffs out there, though most probably do the same thing.

It may take a little while to figure out my preferred setting and "relearn" how to use a more sensitive throttle, but it's great. I can take off in 2nd gear now, no problem and almost prefer it.

I will make this last point: There are a lot of people out there (who seems have NOT tried it), claiming it must be just a simple throttle re-map. That you could have a "free" sprint booster just by mashing the pedal down. Not the case. It does clearly make the pedal more sensitive in terms of the position of the throttle, but most importantly, it speeds up the opening of that throttle from gradual, to varying degrees of quickness, depending on how you set it. This quick video describes what I'm talking about clearly and quickly:
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #43
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsch123 View Post
OK, so I installed the Sprint Booster today and all I can say is OH. MY. DEAR. LORD. I'm annoyed I didn't do this the day I got the car.

There is no question this, or another pedal tuner of some sort (BMS Pedal Tuner, Remus Responder, etc) is the way to go here. And even though I plan on a tune at some point (which I understand does address this problem to some degree), I'm still convinced I'm going to want the added level of customization of the throttle response. And frankly, now that I can unleash the full potential of the stock engine, maybe I actually don't need a tune.

It's really too bad because it shouldn't have come with this much lag stock. As annoying as it is to have to spend extra money, at least I won't be scared when I have to cross traffic.

From my research, I could have saved $100 by going with another vendor (and suppose I could return it to opt for another), but I like that I can remove the selector cable once I get it dialed in, and that it's small should I choose to leave it.

From my research, they were the first to market here, and there are plenty of knockoffs out there, though most probably do the same thing.

It may take a little while to figure out my preferred setting and "relearn" how to use a more sensitive throttle, but it's great. I can take off in 2nd gear now, no problem and almost prefer it.

I will make this last point: There are a lot of people out there (who seems have NOT tried it), claiming it must be just a simple throttle re-map. That you could have a "free" sprint booster just by mashing the pedal down. Not the case. It does clearly make the pedal more sensitive in terms of the position of the throttle, but most importantly, it speeds up the opening of that throttle from gradual, to varying degrees of quickness, depending on how you set it. This quick video describes what I'm talking about clearly and quickly:
Interesting thread, I notice a bit of lag but I really don't find it that bad. You sort of learn to adapt to it, just smash it and wait for the powerband or put it in DS or manual, no lag in manual mode if you know your gears....now having mentioned that, ECO mode is a serious joke...definitely rediculous lag there. But I always wondered about ECO DS mode.... does it just cancel out and equal D...lol

Curious about this mod though, does it affect responsiveness across the board in all modes?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #44
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

If I "stab" the throttle, the car definitely moves forward! This thing where y'all describe being able to stab and let up and the car hasn't moved is weird -- doesn't happen on my car. Mine launches. Watch out.

However, there is some turbo lag. If pressing the throttle all the way, everything kinda halts while it spools up or something, THEN it lets loose. But if I need to be sure that its responsive, I shift it to DS mode, particularly when trying to turn across a busy road. I'd use DS more often but it will burn a lot more fuel just cruising around.

I suppose the previous owner could have gotten some sort of flash or something, but I kind of doubt it. But I have no idea why mine has different behavior than what's described, although there is a pause, which I assume is turbo lag, if I floor it.

(Oh, I have a 2013 28i with Msport package.)
Appreciate 0