XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #67
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
That is not what the chart actually says. It says there are 89 guns per 100 Americans. Not that 89 out of 100 own guns. Most American gun owners have several guns. I am fully willing to bet that is the same in Canada, and that in the USA less than 1/3 of Americans actually own guns. I have 5 myself.
I know that, same for Canada.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #68
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

CBS is now reporting that the shooter had been visiting ISIL websites and was being looked at by Canadian Police. Some information that he may have travelled to Afghanistan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faisal-...an-2018-07-24/
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #69
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
CBS is now reporting that the shooter had been visiting ISIL websites and was being looked at by Canadian Police. Some information that he may have travelled to Afghanistan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faisal-...an-2018-07-24/
Not surprised. Didn't the news say he lived with his parents? Surely they new if he lived in the middle east for a stretch. I'm curios to know if the handgun was legally registered to him.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #70
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Not surprised. Didn't the news say he lived with his parents? Surely they new if he lived in the middle east for a stretch. I'm curios to know if the handgun was legally registered to him.
I'd be surprised if the gun was bought legally by him.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #71
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
I am glad you enjoyed Toronto! I spent about 19 years there and saw the changes year after year. It's a great City but certain areas are just polluted with this behavior. I absolutely love Toronto for its multiculturalism, food and endless activities to do but the violence is becoming more frequent.
That's why you come out to Vancouver where nothing bad ever happens. Just endless natural beauty and things to do. Quite possibly the cleanest and prettiest city in North America.
Vancouver is no doubt beautiful....but Hastings st?
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00
      07-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #72
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
That's the only sh*tty part lol. And it's not even that bad compared to other cities, just junkies shooting up along a few block stretch. Rest of the city feels safe any time of day.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #73
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Not from my experience.
Outside of a few select cities in the US, I wouldn't say it is more diverse especially compared to Toronto.

Food in South Florida sucks, that is what I miss most about Toronto.
Toronto is a very "cosmopolitan" city because it has world-class attractions, dining, shopping, night life, etc. and and economic power that rivals other major global cities. But that does not necessarily equate to "diversity." The demographics alone are enough proof of that, just look it up.

My main point is that the U.S. has a less homogenous population than most other countries. There is an endless range of backgrounds and life experiences among the populace, which leads to a lot of "diversity" of thought and disagreement for how the country should be run.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #74
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's the only sh*tty part lol. And it's not even that bad compared to other cities, just junkies shooting up along a few block stretch. Rest of the city feels safe any time of day.
Which other cities?
It's the only city I've ever witnessed junkies shooting up in plain sight....area reminds me of the new jack city apartment complex but for heroin addIcts....just a sketchy area to me,but I guess heroin junkies are more docile than meth-heads or crack-heads while using?!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #75
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Which other cities?
It's the only city I've ever witnessed junkies shooting up in plain sight....area reminds me of the new jack city apartment complex but for heroin addIcts....just a sketchy area to me,but I guess heroin junkies are more docile than meth-heads or crack-heads while using?!
I was in Vancouver a few years ago with my wife....had lunch in Gastown on a patio and was constantly harassed by junkies, later in the evening were driving through the area and it looked like the Zombie Apocalypse.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #76
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Which other cities?
I was in Vancouver a few years ago with my wife....had lunch in Gastown on a patio and was constantly harassed by junkies, later in the evening were driving through the area and it looked like the Zombie Apocalypse.
I know what your talking about....that's a very good description"zombie apocalypse"
Funny-not funny tho!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #77
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Name a major city in the US that is not ethnically diverse?
I consider diversity more than just white/black and some mexicans.

Miami, aside from the majority of White, African Americans, and Latins/Mexicans there is not much ethnically diverse cultures here, nothing compared to say NYC or Chicago.

Plus you go aside of most US cities and it's even less so. I can drive an hour in each direction outside of Toronto and still find a more diverse cultures and better food.
There are cultural differences among the Latin American countries and all are represented in Miami. Aside from that, "whites" range from WASPs, Catholics, red necks and Jewish and "blacks" includes African Americans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Bahamians and others from various Caribbean countries. It is true there are comparatively few people from Asian or Arab descent in Miami, although there are some, including Chinese Jamaicans. Sprinkle in some seasonal residents, including Canadians, Europeans and South Americans, as well as politics ranging from far right to far left, and it is difficult to see how someone could consider Miami lacking in diversity. I've been to a Toronto many times and while I think there is far more representation of people from different Asian countries, India and the Middle East than in Miami, I think I've seen 4 African Canadians and zero Hispanics while there.
      07-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #78
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'd be surprised if the gun was bought legally by him.
Apparently the gun he used came from the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #79
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
There are cultural differences among the Latin American countries and all are represented in Miami. Aside from that, "whites" range from WASPs, Catholics, red necks and Jewish and "blacks" includes African Americans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Bahamians and others from various Caribbean countries. It is true there are comparatively few people from Asian or Arab descent in Miami, although there are some, including Chinese Jamaicans. Sprinkle in some seasonal residents, including Canadians, Europeans and South Americans, as well as politics ranging from far right to far left, and it is difficult to see how someone could consider Miami lacking in diversity. I've been to a Toronto many times and while I think there is far more representation of people from different Asian countries, India and the Middle East than in Miami, I think I've seen 4 African Canadians and zero Hispanics while there.
Miami doesn't have as many pockets/communities where these cultures are all represented, yes there is some small Haitian and Latin parts of town, but no where near as representative as in Toronto where there are pretty clearly defined areas such as Little Italy, China Town, Greek Town, Little India and you'll find pockets of Portuguese, Middle Eastern, Lebanese, Russian, Tamil, Hakka Chinese, Caribbean, Japanese, Korean, Thai and many more specific cultures. The richness of these cultures in these areas cannot be understated.

While it's hard to quantify culture and demographic studies are never a true representation of anything, the biggest indicator of culture for me is the food/restaurant scene. You can find several top notch high quality restaurants for each of those cultures I mentioned above. I can't say the same about Miami. We can swap out Toronto for Vancouver, Montreal or even Calgary and you'll find the same.

There are many articles written from outsiders of Toronto about this. I'll give one example from a quick google:
"Toronto, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, has a number of picturesque neighborhoods that reflect the ethnic diversity of its inhabitants.
Two million people live in the Ontario capital, probably the Canadian city most influenced by the US given its proximity to the neighbouring country. Perhaps that is why the city is also the most multi-cultural: practically half of its inhabitants are immigrants or the children of immigrants from all over the world, who came to the economic capital of the country seeking a better life.
Toronto can boast of being among the world’s cities with most nationalities and ethnic and linguistic diversity, giving it an indisputable cultural richness. "

https://www.tui.in/destinos/toronto/...ive-in-toronto

Quote:
My main point is that the U.S. has a less homogenous population than most other countries. There is an endless range of backgrounds and life experiences among the populace, which leads to a lot of "diversity" of thought and disagreement for how the country should be run.
This is where I disagree, The US population is not more diverse than Canada's from my personal experience traveling to both and living in both countries. But I will agree to disagree and just leave it there, I've lived in Canada for over 30 years and South Florida for 2.5. I've traveled the US extensively for business before being relocated to FL.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #80
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I see Toronto City Council just voted about 40 to 2 or something like that to ban handguns.

I do not understand why they think this is going to accomplish much, but it is sort of a meaningless vote, since they'll need provincial / federal buy in to get anything through. And I don't think that will happen.

But if it does...good luck Xander and RABAUKE and any others that own handguns within the city limits. I'm glad I'm outside.
Appreciate 1
xander_g1007.50
      07-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #81
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I see Toronto City Council just voted about 40 to 2 or something like that to ban handguns.

I do not understand why they think this is going to accomplish much, but it is sort of a meaningless vote, since they'll need provincial / federal buy in to get anything through. And I don't think that will happen.

But if it does...good luck Xander and RABAUKE and any others that own handguns within the city limits. I'm glad I'm outside.
I'm north of the city. Oh, and .. COME AND TAKE THEM!
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      07-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #82
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Miami doesn't have as many pockets/communities where these cultures are all represented, yes there is some small Haitian and Latin parts of town, but no where near as representative as in Toronto where there are pretty clearly defined areas such as Little Italy, China Town, Greek Town, Little India and you'll find pockets of Portuguese, Middle Eastern, Lebanese, Russian, Tamil, Hakka Chinese, Caribbean, Japanese, Korean, Thai and many more specific cultures. The richness of these cultures in these areas cannot be understated.

While it's hard to quantify culture and demographic studies are never a true representation of anything, the biggest indicator of culture for me is the food/restaurant scene. You can find several top notch high quality restaurants for each of those cultures I mentioned above. I can't say the same about Miami. We can swap out Toronto for Vancouver, Montreal or even Calgary and you'll find the same.

There are many articles written from outsiders of Toronto about this. I'll give one example from a quick google:
"Toronto, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, has a number of picturesque neighborhoods that reflect the ethnic diversity of its inhabitants.
Two million people live in the Ontario capital, probably the Canadian city most influenced by the US given its proximity to the neighbouring country. Perhaps that is why the city is also the most multi-cultural: practically half of its inhabitants are immigrants or the children of immigrants from all over the world, who came to the economic capital of the country seeking a better life.
Toronto can boast of being among the world’s cities with most nationalities and ethnic and linguistic diversity, giving it an indisputable cultural richness. "

https://www.tui.in/destinos/toronto/...ive-in-toronto

This is where I disagree, The US population is not more diverse than Canada's from my personal experience traveling to both and living in both countries. But I will agree to disagree and just leave it there, I've lived in Canada for over 30 years and South Florida for 2.5. I've traveled the US extensively for business before being relocated to FL.

i see. so if they arent segregated, they arent culturally diverse

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      07-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #83
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

The city council can vote all they want. The provincial and federal laws will have to be changed before anything happens.

This is an example of the city councillors not understanding the current firearm laws. To get a handgun legally in this country you need a restricted weapons permit that is issued by the RCMP, you need to be a member of a registered gun club, the pistol has to be registered when purchased, it has to be locked up separate from ammunition at home, and it can only be transported directly to and from the gun range.

The cops just need to enforce the existing laws that are on the books.
Appreciate 1
CANGRKE70813.50
      07-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #84
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
i see. so if they arent segregated, they arent culturally diverse
I think that person just prefers Toronto to Miami, which is fine.
      07-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #85
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Hey all, I live in pretty close proximity to the Danforth and frequent a lot of the coffee shops and restaurants there. I'm of Greek descent and am probably on the Danforth to pick up food, meet friends, or get Greek coffee at least once a week.

Scary part was my wifey was going over to my sisters places and some of my friends wanted to go out. I was sore from soccer and had an early morning meeting so I declined but probably would have ended up at Cafe Frappe or 521 if we had gone. Luckily me being old, they also decided to stay home.

I've eaten at Christina's and Caffe Demetre with my wife and have friends who work at Mezes who were shot at and one waiter was hit in the hand. It's scary to think of, but with the high alert last week in the downtown core, we knew something was going to happen, just didn't think so close to home.

I'm a legal gun owner and the process to acquire a license is not easy. See below. That's not even buying a guy yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-93_pvmtWU

I doubt he went through this channel when I know you can rent a gun downtown for $100 if not less.

Politicians know that guns are coming into Ontario from the US via Cornwall, Port Hope etc, but don't have the testicular fortitude to take on that political hot potato.

Sad business.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00
      07-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #86
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
Wow, and with such strict gun laws in Canada, How could this ever happen?!? /s

These situations are so sad, how someone can think that this is the right answer.
get use to this kind of event
as society gets more violent
people searching to and fro for answers
can only come to that conclusion
cause its the easy answer
not the tough answer which requires some soul searching

and even when they manage to put these laws into effect
it does little to solve the real problems
Appreciate 2
CANGRKE70813.50
blau iii127.50