XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

Just purchased '15 X1 28i. Tell me anything.

Living in a cold, snowy climate I have been a lifelong Subaru driver. But being totally uninspired by any of their post-2010 cars and absolutely tired of their universal driving yawns I was looking for something more fun yet with some of the same crossover/wagon utility. Not to mention that Subies are totally overvalued. Volvo, Audi, VW were considered. But the pre-SUV X1 body style piqued my interest and after driving a friends I was no longer looking for any other make/model.

A month of pricing and negotiating with BMW dealers around the country I ended up purchasing a loaded '15, 33k miles, for about $17k from a dealer just outside NYC. Love the car so far (it's been 2 days). I have lurked here a little, but always interested to hear others experiences with this ride. Things to watch out for? Words of wisdom? Whatever you got.

For real though, I am not a car nut nor snob. Major mods sound fun but probably not something I'll be taking on soon. But little changes that make big differences are gold to me. Non RFT snows go on tomorrow.

My first query is about what people are getting for real-world gas mileage. I was extra sold on the fuel economy of this engine relative to its power. But I am a little skeptical so far that I'll ever see anything within 5 mpg of its high end.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Congrats on your new car! The E84 is underappreciated in my opinion. I opted for the 35i because I am power hungry. My only gripe about the car is it always seems to be just slightly smaller than I want it to be. I didn't need something X3 size but it is what it is.

Post up some photos when you get a chance.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
Congrats on your new car! The E84 is underappreciated in my opinion. I opted for the 35i because I am power hungry. My only gripe about the car is it always seems to be just slightly smaller than I want it to be. I didn't need something X3 size but it is what it is.

Post up some photos when you get a chance.
I totally hear you on both accounts. And both were major considerations for me.

Size wise I am childless and only have to tote around a girlfriend and a Corgi from time to time. Mostly I care about fitting my skis in the car. Odds are the back seats will be folded down 95% of the time, and in that case I find the space to be perfect.

Power wise is pretty funny. The 28i feels like a goddamn Ferrari compared to mid-00s Outbacks, even the H6s. But even after a few days I am like, "I bet that 300hp would be fun". Smh. I can see this being the start of an expensive problem.

I'll try and get some photos up soon. She's covered with a few inches of snow at the moment. Welcome to Vermont!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
My first query is about what people are getting for real-world gas mileage. I was extra sold on the fuel economy of this engine relative to its power. But I am a little skeptical so far that I'll ever see anything within 5 mpg of its high end.
At one point I was able to average 22 mpg. This is in basically all city driving, but driving on city streets that are also highways with speed limits of 45 or 55.

Ultimately, with gas prices being reasonable, I determined the cost difference between 20 mpg and 22 wasn't worth the fun I gave up to get that extra couple of mpg. I've since added a JB4 and drive in sport mode all the time and still get 20 mpg (although with the winter blend, cold and snow it sometimes drops to 19).

My mods have been limited to the JB4 and H&R lowering springs, both of which I highly recommend if you want more oomph and better handling/cornering capabilities.

Size wise the X1 was perfect for me, as we already had a Honda Pilot to handle the family chores, but it still carries way more than you would expect.

Last edited by bucketfoot; 12-02-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
At one point I was able to average 22 mpg. This is in basically all city driving, but driving on city streets that are also highways with speed limits of 45 or 55.

Ultimately, with gas prices being reasonable, I determined the cost difference between 20 mpg and 22 wasn't worth the fun I gave up to get that extra couple of mile. I've since added a JB4 and drive in sport mode all the time and still get 20 mpg (although with the winter blend, cold and snow it sometimes drops to 19).

My mods have been limited to the JB4 and H&R lowering springs, both of which I highly recommend if you want more oomph and better handling/cornering capabilities.

Size wise the X1 was perfect for me, as we already had a Honda Pilot to handle the family chores, but it still carries way more than you would expect.

Thanks for that take! Yeah I won't be doing much city driving. State Hwys (40-50mph "limits") and Interstates. I'd be over the moon to average those out at 27mpg. Feeding premium.

As for mods, especially considering where I am coming from in Subie land, I don't think I need to go hard for more cornering capability. I'd still want every millimeter of ground clearance for VT dirt road driving.

Any of y'all live in the salt belt? Undercoating? Frequent washes? Both?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Best I've gotten was 31 mpg, all highway, no stops for an entire tank.
I average 24 mpg on a 30 mile commute of 20 hwy, 10 city.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Best I've gotten was 31 mpg, all highway, no stops for an entire tank.
I average 24 mpg on a 30 mile commute of 20 hwy, 10 city.
This is encouraging.

Ecomode? Or normal Auto? Running premium gas?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Welcome to the X1 Club!!!

I have the same set up as you and I bought it almost exactly a year ago. It's been a great car so far!

I have a bit of an elevation gain/loss during my commute of about 1,600', but I average 23 mpg. I hardly ever use eco mode or sport mode.... When doing a long highway/freeway road trip I have turned on eco mode and got right around 30 mpg average for a trip. You will never see 30 mpg with mixed city/highway driving though.

There are a couple BMW extended warranties you should be aware of that cover items outside of the normal warranty period.

1. Thermostat replacement - Extended to 10 years/120k miles I believe, as they have known issues with the thermostats failing open... Happened to me last month at 40k miles and the replacement including labor was fully covered by BMW.

2. Timing chain - There is an extended warranty for this item as well, but I don't believe it is as long. Possibly 6 years / 60k miles. There have been a few engine failures due to timing chain/timing chain guides failing. I honestly need to research this one a bit..... Would like to see if there is a possibility of getting it proactively replaced by the stealership, as it sounds like once it fails complete engine failure is common.

There are some good aftermarket screen/stereo add-ons that update the interior a bit. Basically the only modification I have made or currently plan to make to mine have been to the stereo. The factory BMW bluetooth is garbage....

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Welcome to the X1 Club!!!

I have the same set up as you and I bought it almost exactly a year ago. It's been a great car so far!

I have a bit of an elevation gain/loss during my commute of about 1,600', but I average 23 mpg. I hardly ever use eco mode or sport mode.... When doing a long highway/freeway road trip I have turned on eco mode and got right around 30 mpg average for a trip. You will never see 30 mpg with mixed city/highway driving though.

There are a couple BMW extended warranties you should be aware of that cover items outside of the normal warranty period.

1. Thermostat replacement - Extended to 10 years/120k miles I believe, as they have known issues with the thermostats failing open... Happened to me last month at 40k miles and the replacement including labor was fully covered by BMW.

2. Timing chain - There is an extended warranty for this item as well, but I don't believe it is as long. Possibly 6 years / 60k miles. There have been a few engine failures due to timing chain/timing chain guides failing. I honestly need to research this one a bit..... Would like to see if there is a possibility of getting it proactively replaced by the stealership, as it sounds like once it fails complete engine failure is common.

There are some good aftermarket screen/stereo add-ons that update the interior a bit. Basically the only modification I have made or currently plan to make to mine have been to the stereo. The factory BMW bluetooth is garbage....

Good Luck!

That's all super helpful Wes! Thanks! I am up in ANC every year between mid March and mid May visiting friends and skiing in the region. If your X1 is handling that environment well I should be all set here in VT.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are some photos. Love that blue contrast against the fresh white snow. Had to throw some skis in the back to round out the feel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Size wise I am childless and only have to tote around a girlfriend and a Corgi from time to time.
Yeah it was just a collie and girlfriend for me as well. I always watch people awkwardly get into my passenger seat though.

Quote:
Power wise is pretty funny. The 28i feels like a goddamn Ferrari compared to mid-00s Outbacks, even the H6s. But even after a few days I am like, "I bet that 300hp would be fun". Smh. I can see this being the start of an expensive problem.
I had my 335i around 600hp at one point and was planning to get the X1 around 500hp but plans have changed. I wouldn't push the N20 too much as I saw reports of bent rods back when the engine was new. Keep in mind that I don't follow any of the N20 development.

I have a thing for blue cars, looks nice! I am surprised to hear some of the 28i fuel economy numbers. I average 20 to 21.5 mpg in my 35i.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
m1256
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l

welcome rangerjake, I have the same Deep Sea Blue metallic on my 2014 sdrive 28i but with black Dakota leather interior. I don't miss the cold, snowy days in VT. I lived and worked in Brattleboro for 12 years. Best of luck with the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
welcome rangerjake, I have the same Deep Sea Blue metallic on my 2014 sdrive 28i but with black Dakota leather interior. I don't miss the cold, snowy days in VT. I lived and worked in Brattleboro for 12 years. Best of luck with the new ride.
I do wish I had the black interior. I believe my lifestyle is still too dirty to not lose sleep over that light interior. Guess I'll need to be diligent with my cleanliness.

Well, for your sake, I hope you are in warmer and more pleasant climes. Me, I love this stuff. Not my cars tho.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
Yeah it was just a collie and girlfriend for me as well. I always watch people awkwardly get into my passenger seat though.

I had my 335i around 600hp at one point and was planning to get the X1 around 500hp but plans have changed. I wouldn't push the N20 too much as I saw reports of bent rods back when the engine was new. Keep in mind that I don't follow any of the N20 development.

I have a thing for blue cars, looks nice! I am surprised to hear some of the 28i fuel economy numbers. I average 20 to 21.5 mpg in my 35i.
A COLLIE?! You should prob be in an X3, no? Corgis and under in X1s.

I think it's gonna be a bit before I start tuning this thing if I do. It sounds fun to push hp but I need to temper my enthusiasm and recognize that this is a daily driver that's gonna see avg of 400 miles per week just for day job commuting. Extra hp prob comes at the expense of fuel economy and I do still have aspirations of a fun peppy ride that can get me a consistent 25mpg. God forbid something close to that "33" number on the placards.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
m1256
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l

What part of VT do you reside in? Took some getting use to, but the Socal weather suites me and my cars just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
What part of VT do you reside in? Took some getting use to, but the Socal weather suites me and my cars just fine.
Stowe mostly
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #17
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Sprint Booster Drive by Wire

I would suggest look into Sprint Booster Drive by Wire. This software doesn't actually increase horsepower but make it feel much more responsive without any throttle lag. Probably reduce 1 mpg difference but surely worth it in my opinion. The other thing I would change is the run flat tires, replace it with regular tires. I haven't change it yet but hope it will eliminate the steering wonder around in uneven roads. If anyone have experience with replacement their run flat with regular tires, appreciate if you can speak up? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #18
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
This is encouraging.

Ecomode? Or normal Auto? Running premium gas?
Normal, autostop disabled, 93.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Congrats on your purchase! Mine is a 2013, bought March of 2015. I have a similar commuting distance, so I’ve added over 100,000 miles in just over 4.5 years. My typical commute is about 32 miles of traffic clogged highway, and about 12 miles of side roads. Out on the highway, I’d put myself in the 90+ percentile in aggressiveness (don’t tell my insurer), but once off the highway I’m generally pretty laid back. I’m guessing I hadn’t reset the computer in about 2 months; my average has been 26.1.

This morning I took it easy, experienced one traffic snarl, had to get off the highway early - 10 traffic lights, five stop signs - but I still averaged 32.6.

93 octane, Continental DWS06 tires (second set), DINAN Stage 1, Bilstein B12 kit, Sprint Booster.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
93 octane, Continental DWS06 tires (second set), DINAN Stage 1, Bilstein B12 kit, Sprint Booster.
What do you think about the Sprint Booster?

I keep being tempted by it or the Burger Tuning one.
      12-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #21
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
What do you think about the Sprint Booster?

I keep being tempted by it or the Burger Tuning one.
Acknowledging that peak power is unchanged...for me it feels as if it transforms the character of the vehicle - from reluctant to eager. I’ve really enjoyed it. I have the older style, just 3 settings...off, green, and red. I set it to green and disconnected the cable.

I’m not real familiar with the Burger Tune, but I believe similar to the DINAN Sport, it’s designed to give a HP boost (DINAN says 30 HP for Sport - DINAN also claims that Stage 1 takes peak HP to 312).

I would guess that you could do both Burger and SB.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #22
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
I would guess that you could do both Burger and SB.
Burger actually has their own throttle pedal tuner that I'm talking about.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-pedal-tuner

I can't see them being very different and I like the Burger price better