XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
rustyroger
rustyroger
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.0 s drive

Upgrade to fold in mirrors.

My wife is very happy with her 2011 X1.
But it doesn't have automatically folding mirrors. If I buy a fold in is the wiring already in the door to make it a simple plug in replacement?
It doesn't have cruise control either, is it diy feasible to install?
TIA

Roger.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Hey Roger,

I found a thread from the E90 forum on those guys replacing their mirrors. Because the E84 X1 is based on the E90, it should be similar to our cars. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681912

I also found a thread on cruise control retrofit. Seems to be a little complicated, but possible. https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406480

IMO, this is quite a bit of work for features that aren't that huge. Stuff like head unit replacement and backup camera install can be easily, cheaply, and reliably DIY'ed, which is why so many people do it. For the projects you mentioned, you'll be spending at least $1000 USD and a dozen hours with no guarantee that they will ever work. Considering most newer X1's (and other cars) come standard with these features and more, I'd say it isn't worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
rustyroger
rustyroger
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.0 s drive

Thank you Maxwmiller.
I'm not really surprised retrofitting cruise is impractical, however it's not a top priority so we'll live without it.
I'll delve a little deeper into the mirrors though, thanks for the link.

Roger.
Appreciate 0