XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
lukef
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Auxiliary light instal

I’m looking to install some auxiliary lights behind the grill of my X1. I picked up a set of Baja Designs Squadron-R Sports. It came with two different wiring harnesses and I’m trying to figure out the best way to configure and where exactly to connect to. My intent is to have the aux lights come on when I have turned on the on/off switch AND the high-beams are on.

Here’s my attempt at drawing a schematic of the two wiring harnesses and how I intent to connect them together.

Harness with on/off switch-

Harness with 12v relay-

Here’s how I intend to connect them-

Questions I have:
  1. Any concerns with this wiring configuration?
  2. Should I connect power to the jumper terminal under the hood? What’s the best way to connect to this? Is there a better place to get power?
  3. Is there a fuse for high-beams in the glovebox that I can connect the relay to? A fuse-tap here would be super simple if I can locate the correct one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

Images don’t work but I’m looking forward to how they look installed!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
kringer2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive

So if I understand you the power being supplied to the high beams would trigger the driving lamps. If so this should work but you may get an error on your headlamps when you start the car and it checks all the lights. BMW's are sensitive.

I have not researched the other questions you have but there should be a fuse for the high beams but it may have power when ever the car is on. You'll have to check that out. as far as main power I thing the jump lug is as good as any to get power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukef View Post
I’m looking to install some auxiliary lights behind the grill of my X1. I picked up a set of Baja Designs Squadron-R Sports. It came with two different wiring harnesses and I’m trying to figure out the best way to configure and where exactly to connect to. My intent is to have the aux lights come on when I have turned on the on/off switch AND the high-beams are on.

Here’s my attempt at drawing a schematic of the two wiring harnesses and how I intent to connect them together.

Harness with on/off switch-

Harness with 12v relay-

Here’s how I intend to connect them-

Questions I have:
  1. Any concerns with this wiring configuration?
  2. Should I connect power to the jumper terminal under the hood? What’s the best way to connect to this? Is there a better place to get power?
  3. Is there a fuse for high-beams in the glovebox that I can connect the relay to? A fuse-tap here would be super simple if I can locate the correct one.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
lukef
Registered
Rep

Finally got this finished up. I have it wired so that the on/off switch must be on and the high-beams must be on. I started to go down the path of using the rear fog light button in lieu of the on/off switch, but that got beyond my electrical know-how. They really light up and aren't overly obvious.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

is there a way of hiding better those lights? perhaps a dark tint over them so they would blend with the background and no one would get curious and take them as souvenirs?
      05-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
lukef
Registered
Rep

That's exactly why I put them behind the grill. I didn't want someone to be able to remove them without a ton of effort. Head on, you can see them clearly, but from the sides or if you're close they're hard to see. I thought about getting plane black covers for them but I've been using them quite often and taking the covers on and off could be a hassle.

The grill does block some of the light. Each light has 2 spots and 2 floods. The spots shine right through but the floods get blocked a bunch. Probably should have just gone with a 4 spot lens.
Appreciate 0