XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

09-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

x1 35i Wierd Brake Wear

Hey Guys,

My brake service warning (dash board) said I had about 1500 miles to do before service, so I took off the left front and right rear tire today, and the pads seem to have plenty of thickness, but the rotors look like they are wearing strangely.

I attached a couple of photo's. It started raining, so I had to put the wheels back on. I will take it back off tomorrow and remove the caliper to look at the actual pads. Car is a 2014 x1 35i. It's got 40,000 miles and I assume it's got the original pads. Are the factory pads cut or something for noise? It seems like they only contact a small portion of the rotor.

There looks like there is plenty of meat on the pads, so I hate to change the brakes and rotors out, but it seems like there's a lot of area not being used to stop. What could be causing this? The car sat and was barely used for a couple of months until recently, but this seems strange.

Pad thickness :

Opinions?

Last edited by SharpAndCunning; 09-08-2018 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
E46M3E84X1
Rep
Drives: Xdrive 35i

I’d still replace them. Rotors look pretty bad. Did you check the other pad? And is this the front or rear rotor? Sometimes one wears more than the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

My X1 28i did the same also at 65 000 km, front rotors were like yours with still good pads, but the rear pads were alomost finish. I replaced them with cross drilled rotors and quit happy with the new braking force and look

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1463286
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
My X1 28i did the same also at 65 000 km, front rotors were like yours with still good pads, but the rear pads were alomost finish. I replaced them with cross drilled rotors and quit happy with the new braking force and look

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1463286
i had the same wear characteristics going on brakes front and back guide pins had grooves in them 4 years old 75 k miles
and not a microscopic spot of fresh grease on full floating pins,grease was the size of a pin dot and dried out hard from factory ,
brake pad ears dry also,
wirebrushed caliper retainer and buffed all slide surfaces , buffed everything till clean and smooth, no brake dust like new till shiny with large wire wheel ,
regreased with new kits caliper should float and not deflect as per original oem setup,

brake pad ears were only worn in one place not moving at all ,groove knocked caliper alignment out, pads had embedded metal from rotor too

replaced with upgraded ECS Bronze bushing kits with stainless steel pins will see how they wear in

proteus290
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00
      05-29-2019, 02:33 AM   #5
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus290 View Post
not a microscopic spot of fresh grease on full floating pins,grease was the size of a pin dot and dried out hard from factory
BMW pins and boots are not, nor are designed to be greased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus290 View Post
wirebrushed caliper retainer and buffed all slide surfaces , buffed everything till clean and smooth, no brake dust like new till shiny with large wire wheel ,
regreased with new kits caliper should float and not deflect as per original oem setup
My guess is someone greased them before it got to you and destroyed the inserts.
Appreciate 0