XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Walesy's Avatar
Scotland
60
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (1)

X1 E84 - Front end noise

Hi guys

I have just bought a second car, a 2015 X1 2.0d SDrive.

The car has covered 57k miles now and since I have had it, the front end seems to have a knock, not a metallic knock..almost like something is just loose. This is more apparent at low speeds over bumps

I had the car on a ramp today and the radius arms appear to have a fair bit of play, as in I car rock these with my hand pressure.

I have not really been under one of these in the past and I know its hard to advise with the explanation given, the only other thing I can add is that I can feel it with my heel through the floor

Does the radius arm or wishbone bushes sound like the culprit or are they common for anything else in the front end that would give the symptoms I am experiencing?

Thanks all in advance
__________________
2013 - 2017 F30 320D Sport
Present: G30 MSport - And love it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Walesy's Avatar
Scotland
60
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (1)

I dont know what is going on...tried to post something and its went belly up
__________________
2013 - 2017 F30 320D Sport
Present: G30 MSport - And love it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
thestimp
First Lieutenant
United_States
28
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 09 335i e92 - 2013 X1M 35i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

I had a similar issue lately and it was the plastic bit under the windshield, engine cover, that wasnt properly seated and was just tapping away driving me nuts. It should go into 4 rubber groves that seat it, if not it will knock the upper windshield/air filter assembly.
__________________
it's going to cost how much!?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #4
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Walesy's Avatar
Scotland
60
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
I had a similar issue lately and it was the plastic bit under the windshield, engine cover, that wasnt properly seated and was just tapping away driving me nuts. It should go into 4 rubber groves that seat it, if not it will knock the upper windshield/air filter assembly.
You know...that may well be something to to check. I will do that later today or tomorrow.

Thanks buddy
__________________
2013 - 2017 F30 320D Sport
Present: G30 MSport - And love it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
kringer2
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: usa

iTrader: (1)

With what you are describing with the noise cluck the sway bar end links and joints like those. I had one get loose on a different BMW and it was barely audible and I barely feel anything. It only happened on low speed bumps. Took a while to find. I used a mechanics stethoscope and a friend to rock the car. Through that it just sounded like a click. But that was it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Walesy's Avatar
Scotland
60
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringer2 View Post
With what you are describing with the noise cluck the sway bar end links and joints like those. I had one get loose on a different BMW and it was barely audible and I barely feel anything. It only happened on low speed bumps. Took a while to find. I used a mechanics stethoscope and a friend to rock the car. Through that it just sounded like a click. But that was it.
Thanks mate, I plan to have a route around the underside asap but the rain is horrendous here at the moment and I am taking it back on Friday to see the dealer workshop manager and demo the noise in a test drive. I would rather have a wee poke around myself.

Its doing my head in.
__________________
2013 - 2017 F30 320D Sport
Present: G30 MSport - And love it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
kringer2
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: usa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
Thanks mate, I plan to have a route around the underside asap but the rain is horrendous here at the moment and I am taking it back on Friday to see the dealer workshop manager and demo the noise in a test drive. I would rather have a wee poke around myself.

Its doing my head in.
The dealer worked on mine 3 times befor they finalkly listened to me and found it. They replaced my struts once, steering collar, and the upper spring mounts once. It was a suspension joint like this one that had gone bad. PN 31126768988. Replaced that and its been quiet for 30k miles and 3 years. Soft knows are hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:50 AM   #8
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Walesy's Avatar
Scotland
60
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringer2 View Post
The dealer worked on mine 3 times befor they finalkly listened to me and found it. They replaced my struts once, steering collar, and the upper spring mounts once. It was a suspension joint like this one that had gone bad. PN 31126768988. Replaced that and its been quiet for 30k miles and 3 years. Soft knows are hard to find.
Mine went in yesterday and they finally admitted that something isnt right and they are nit certain what it is.

so, they are going to take the car in for a few days to test it all out, they will use Chassis ears to identify it.

What they are...I do not know.

I am tempted, for the sake of 40 to replace the parts you recommend and the drop links myself...but the car has a used approved warranty from BMW.
__________________
2013 - 2017 F30 320D Sport
Present: G30 MSport - And love it!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
kringer2
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: usa

iTrader: (1)

What did they find?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Walesy's Avatar
Scotland
60
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW G30 MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringer2 View Post
What did they find?
They replaced the 2 front suspension arms mate, but its still there.


They have advised that they cant fault it, so it may be an under panel or something

I need to get it up air myself with a rubber mallet and have a knock around.

Yesterday, it went in for an EGR valve & cooler in another garage, but same dealership. They didnt have time for a poke around as time had ran out,
__________________
2013 - 2017 F30 320D Sport
Present: G30 MSport - And love it!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST