XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Why is the X1 so rare and mistreated? (Please Read)

Hello to my fellow BMW X1 siblings.

I have a few questions that is bugging me, and maybe someone on here can shed some lights.

Being that i am 18 years old and fairly new to the BMW world, maybe i am a bit naive, so here I go:

1. The X1 has alot of value for what it is. It is the cheapest BMW that they make, and offers alot of "bang for its buck". Compared to the 320i, which is somewhere in the 33K range, the X1 has the 328i's engine (240 Horsepower Turbo 4 N20 engine) and also has the Anti-Theft Alarm System. On the 3 and 4 series, lower models, its a 400$ option

In terms of leasing, they are relatively affordable, some in the range of the high 200 and low 300's, excluding highly packaged X1's.

The X1 and the 320i are in the same leasing range, yet the X1 still offers more.

I understand it is based on the last generation 3 series, and it may not be up to par as the 3 series, but it still packs a punch.

So why is the X1 so rare and unpopular?

I come from a rather Affluent area were you see Lamborghini's, Range Rovers, Ferrari's, and loads and loads of BMW's, yet on a busy day, i counted 100 328i's and only three X1's, excluding my own.

I even counted around 20 X3's and 50 X5's, and still only three X1's?

With a car so affordable and nice, I still have trouble understanding why they are so unpopular?

2. Following reading another post on this forum, i came to realize that alot of X1's are either Demo models, CPO's, or Loaner vehicles?

Could that be a reason why the X1 is so mistreated? certainly a car like this deserves more of a spot in the market as opposed to just being those three positions as mentioned above.

3. As mentioned above, i don't understand why the X1 doesn't appeal to the younger generation. The vast majority of X1's owners that i see are typically older people. A guy from sales at a dealership i was at, mentioned that he sold 10 X1's, and i was the first 18 year old he saw that wanted/owns an X1.
being that i am young and still can't get anything too expensive, the X1 was perfect for me, as the price was right, especially for a BMW.

The X1 may not be as seductive as a 3 series, i can give it that, its still such a nice car for the value and price.

The X1 however is still perfect for those with a budget, who wants a BMW, and the performance of a 328i. Yet don't want to stretch their wallets out too much.

4. Where is the individuality of the X1's out there?

The vast majority of X1's that i see, if ever, are usually always the same.

Most are black, white, or silver, and most are usually base.

Where are the oranges, Midnight Blues, Brown/Bronze metallic, X-Line package, sport line, M-Sport? Xenon headlights, chrome line exterior, and other modifications?

Apparently from both reading threads on this forum, and asking other people's opinions on colors, will usually be in the neighborhood of saying that the Orange and the Midnight blues are highly attractive colors on the X1.

Anyone else agree or disagree that there is not much individuality in X1's out there?

Also, before i end my questions/rant, i hope i didn't offend anyone with the stuff that i mentioned in this post. All of this is purely MY opinion, and i would like some feedback please, but if i rubbed you the wrong way? i apologize. I just want to be as friendly as possible, so i always like to add in some sweetness to my sourness. LOL

Thanks for reading!
hope to get some feedback
^______^
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Well, when I bought my CPO X1 35i, it was a little orange fireball sitting in a sea of white, black and grey on the lot.

I think the X1 is a great choice, but not everyone wants a small pseudo SUV/wagon. Personally I love wagons and have owned a bunch over the years.

But wagon's have been a harder sell here in the US than in Europe. Mine is an X Line and will get a small slew of mods going forward.

I don't think the X1 is unpopular, it is just one of many BMW buying options available. The price is very attractive for what you get, but someone who pulls into a BMW dealer usually has more $$ to spend than the X1 requires.

Me, I didn't have the bucks that a BMW requires and I didn't expect to find anything on the lot. The X1 wasn't on my radar at all but there ya go!

Here in Olympia, there are 2 others that I have seen. A white and a metallic bronze. Both driven by middle aged women. Sigh...I have a chick car...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
Well, when I bought my CPO X1 35i, it was a little orange fireball sitting in a sea of white, black and grey on the lot.

I think the X1 is a great choice, but not everyone wants a small pseudo SUV/wagon. Personally I love wagons and have owned a bunch over the years.

But wagon's have been a harder sell here in the US than in Europe. Mine is an X Line and will get a small slew of mods going forward.

I don't think the X1 is unpopular, it is just one of many BMW buying options available. The price is very attractive for what you get, but someone who pulls into a BMW dealer usually has more $$ to spend than the X1 requires.

Me, I didn't have the bucks that a BMW requires and I didn't expect to find anything on the lot. The X1 wasn't on my radar at all but there ya go!

Here in Olympia, there are 2 others that I have seen. A white and a metallic bronze. Both driven by middle aged women. Sigh...I have a chick car...
Same thing on this side of the state. A couple of points the OP made give the wrong impression, I believe. BMW sales are really spotty, and the X1's great value is offset by the guys that buy/lease the ones loaded with options. The price quickly balloons to near $50k with the popular M pkg /tech stuff. It's a pretty piss-poor $50k rig, IMO. Thin, tinny doors, rattles and squeeks, which are surprising on a rigid feeling car, make it feel cheap. I also think the optional "Nevada" leather upholstery is cheap feeling. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but not at anywhere near the retail price.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

Shock96

Congradulations on your X35i, i have heard rumors that the 35 is disconitnued, so that makes you stand out even more!

IMHO, station wagons are really cool if done right. I know i might get bashed by saying this, but wagons like the E63 AMG are not only cool but looks and sounds amazing. Hotting up a wagon is superior!

Although, most people don't know what to call the X1, some call is a small sUV, others a Wagon, some say a 328i and a 528i and an X5 all have mixed DNA together and the whole 9 yards

Also zeevette

I can't understand why more people aren't attracted to it.

From my perspective, being a young kid with a certain price range, the X1 and the 320i were the only cars in the BMW lineup that was attainable by me.

The horsepower and engine is good, but not too fast or too thirsty.
And its fast like a 328i, and forsure faster than the 320i

I know people may not like wagons, but this is still a nice BMW for its price and also very accessible to people who don't want to spend too much for that badge.

Also, as with most, if not all BMW's, adding some options can quickly take the car out of price range. My X1 has the midnight blue and a sunroof, and it was perfect for me, but any other options would have brought it out of price range. An example is the fact that a rear view camera is 3K + (Driver Assist package requires the Tech Package too????)

The same falls with the 3 series, either you get a based 3 series for the near 300 price range, or forget about it.

Im sure most teenagers and young adult will be attracted to its seductive looks, but what won the X1 over for me, was the fact that it came with the Anti-Theft Alarm System

for the 3 series? its 400$

I actually like that i get confirmations upon locking/unlocking, but maybe im just wierd
ahhah
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I don't understand the hate this car gets, it's basically a 3 series in a more useful package. The hate on Americans have for hatches or wagons is remarkable, I personally think sedans are an insane purchase when you can get a fifth door.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I don't understand the hate this car gets, it's basically a 3 series in a more useful package. The hate on Americans have for hatches or wagons is remarkable, I personally think sedans are an insane purchase when you can get a fifth door.

I personally find most sedan designs godawful boring. Even aside from the obvious practical benefits, hatches and wagons just look so much more interesting to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

You cannot even get a 5 series or A6 wagon here, it's absurd. You're stuck with a 3 series or A4 wagon which are just too damned small for primary family haulage.

So i just keep driving the 9-3, it's a touch bigger than the 3 or the A4 wagons and that touch makes all the difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
You cannot even get a 5 series or A6 wagon here, it's absurd. You're stuck with a 3 series or A4 wagon which are just too damned small for primary family haulage.

So i just keep driving the 9-3, it's a touch bigger than the 3 or the A4 wagons and that touch makes all the difference.
The 3er wagon was actually too big for us, we would have greatly preferred an M135i, but can't have that here.

An S3 5 Door would be the perfect replacement, but while there are rumors it will eventually come to the US, I'm not holding my breath.

And historically, I buy BMW's that don't sell well and the 3er and 5er crowd dislike. M Coupe, 135i, X1 35i.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

What does "us' mean? Couple or kids too and we talking second vehicle or primary family duties?

I have a second sprog on the way and seriously, cannot imagine anything smaller than the 9-3. The A4 we rented in France was insane, nice wagon but one stroller in the boot and she's full!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wife, me and six month old plus a beagle, the X1 is our primary car for family duty. I'm 6'2", but love small cars. I'm just waiting for him to turn two and not need the monster rear facing seat and will either get an M2 or BRZ and throw a turbo on it.

We may keep the X1 or get an S3 sedan, Macan or possibly a 4GC, but would have to wait for the LCI to see if they fix the steering and overall feel of the 3er chassis. Both the Macan and 4er are larger than what we'd both prefer.

People all over the world have multiple kids with a Golf, Polo or 1er. It's really only over here that folks seem to gravitate to a Suburban when the first kid shows up.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
BAMF
Rep
Drives: 15 X1

I personally prefer white. i like it, it's simple yet elegant. I got my X1 built about a year ago and i love it. Drive it around germany, it is perfect size and it has no problems cruising at 125mph on the autobahn. sometimes it seems small, like i want a tahoe but then i pull in the gast station and i see the tahoe pull up and pump over $80 worth of gas in there, then i think to myself, nahh.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

I don't know if I'd call the X1 looks, "seductive", but it's a handsome wagon. My personal favorite is the Cadillac CTS-V wagon, but I don't need 600 HP to do deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Depends on your location. Here in San Francisco they are everywhere. It is really a hatchback rather than SUV, so it tends to be more popular in urban areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Wife, me and six month old plus a beagle, the X1 is our primary car for family duty. I'm 6'2", but love small cars. I'm just waiting for him to turn two and not need the monster rear facing seat and will either get an M2 or BRZ and throw a turbo on it.

We may keep the X1 or get an S3 sedan, Macan or possibly a 4GC, but would have to wait for the LCI to see if they fix the steering and overall feel of the 3er chassis. Both the Macan and 4er are larger than what we'd both prefer.

People all over the world have multiple kids with a Golf, Polo or 1er. It's really only over here that folks seem to gravitate to a Suburban when the first kid shows up.
That's mostly europe where they travel 10Km for a day trip. They have no concept of distance.

So adults up front, jnr in the back seat, beagle in the boot, where's the stroller go? Or supplies for a day trip to the beach?

Not to mention runs from the hardware store or furniture.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I live in the city, we put a combined 12k miles on our cars a year. Kid goes in the middle, dog goes beside and sometimes over him. Stroller folds small enough that it could go behind my wife's seat if we just went nuts at the store or were taking a road trip.

A second kid would certainly stretch things, especially if we were dealing with two rear facing seats as there's no way I'd get one behind me. The funny thing is that a Honda Fit actually works great with two car seats. I'd likely do that for my car (I drop off at daycare) if it did come to two kids.

And for hauling stuff from stores, I tend to do that alone, or have it delivered. If I really went nuts on the DIY thing, I'd rent a pickup for the day. Better to have a car that fits our needs for 364 days a year than drag around something we only utilize once a year just in case.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

I think the X1 is about the least pretentious BMW, with the exception of that little one that looks like a Smart Kar.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #17
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for being so kind and polite on my second forum!

You see, i stand corrected, i am now starting to feel that i am the only 18 year old who has/wanted an X1.

The 328i wagon is just too long. Being a college student, i just recently moved out of my dorm, and i had no struggle what so ever with loading all of my stuff in my car.

The best part is, the X1 is almost entirely in a class of its own. the only other competitor might be the GLA, but it looks kinda of funky to me, and also, im sure the AMG would be in a different category than the X1.

I really love the X1, as it is more rare.

But i can't understand why people or young adults i should say, who wants the status of driving a BMW, without stretching that bank account. lol

@Red Bread, my mom has the Macan. I would wait until your son is a bit older, the combination of a low seating position and high window line will cause frustration for your son, as he may not be able to see out the window, lol

Any other thoughts with the X1?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
I personally prefer white. i like it, it's simple yet elegant. I got my X1 built about a year ago and i love it. Drive it around germany, it is perfect size and it has no problems cruising at 125mph on the autobahn. sometimes it seems small, like i want a tahoe but then i pull in the gast station and i see the tahoe pull up and pump over $80 worth of gas in there, then i think to myself, nahh.
You must have a TD version. My 35i would suck gas like a Tahoe @125 mph. Oh, mine is mineral white, so we're good, OK, BAMF? ( I hope that means something else in German)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

zeevette

Do you by chance know why the X35i has the old 6 speed automatic transmission, even with the old style gear shifter?

I dont understand why the 335i and the 435i, the X3, and X5, all have the 8 speed auto transmission, yet the X35i has the 6 speed......

Aren't you losing acceleration and a drop in fuel economy?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1Sdrive28i View Post
zeevette

Do you by chance know why the X35i has the old 6 speed automatic transmission, even with the old style gear shifter?

I dont understand why the 335i and the 435i, the X3, and X5, all have the 8 speed auto transmission, yet the X35i has the 6 speed......

They didn't bother to refit the newer trans in the X1 35i as a manufacturing expediency, would be my guess. Oh, and yeah, the 35i isn't very fuel efficient, but I believe it's mostly due to the motor, and of course, your right foot. (or left, depending)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1Sdrive28i
zeevette

The official reason was fit. But I bet they just needed somewhere to dump remaining supply.

The 8s is more efficient and helps some cars be quicker, but note that the slightly lighter F30 335i is no quicker than the N55 E90 335i was. It does get much better mileage though.

I've never missed the 8s, I drive manuals and to me, the 6s feels more like a manual than the always shifting 8s. Plus the 8s always feels like it's not fully engaged, like there's always just a little slip going on. It's a cool piece of tech, but not one I'm really missing. Plus, no ASS with the 6s, thank god.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #22
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

I'm young (ish) and the gf and I recently moved from a WRX to an X1 35i M Sport. Take a look at our criteria - it seems like we weren't really spoilt for choice because the American market is flooded with good options for bulky, sluggish baby carriers (even if it's the AMGs and Ms, that size is ridiculous for city life) while the hatchbacks and wagons get no love at all.

- AWD
- Engine with balls
- Luxurious, auto transmission
- Wagon, Hatchback or Compact SUV
- No Toyota or Honda. Ever. Even if it's Acura or Lexus (This was more of a personal prejudice than rationality, but it stays)

We saw the Golf R, but holy wow $40k for a golf? Nope. We saw the Q3 - 200hp is an insult, really. Bimmer wagons were overpriced IMO and I wish we could afford the CLA AMG. What's left? Outback wasn't exactly an upgrade.

Not sure if I answered your question or laid out my rationale for getting an X1 instead!
Either way, I agree with you. Not much love for compact SUVs from manufacturers, and maybe therefore they aren't as popular?
Appreciate 0