Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

Fan Belt Replacement Already!

Hi

I noticed the power steering on my BMW X1 2.0 X-Drive was very noisey on full lock. My wife went out in the car the other day and I noticed when she turned the engine on it made a squeek. I've had this before on my E90 I thought.

It's just been to the dealership and as I thought it needs a new fan belt. One to keep an eye on. Thing is you can't hear it when sat in the car with the windows up.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
Hi

I noticed the power steering on my BMW X1 2.0 X-Drive was very noisey on full lock. My wife went out in the car the other day and I noticed when she turned the engine on it made a squeek. I've had this before on my E90 I thought.

It's just been to the dealership and as I thought it needs a new fan belt. One to keep an eye on. Thing is you can't hear it when sat in the car with the windows up.
From the very first day, my engine is 10 times louder when the A/C is on. Do you have a noticeable noise change when you turn on A/C. I compared the noise to a 320d sedan. Two cars sound similar when A/C is off, but X1 is louder when A/C is on and makes a whistling/screaming noise when revving up. Any comments?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

I have the same issue. When Idle, with AC on, the car is louder and it makes a whistling noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
From the very first day, my engine is 10 times louder when the A/C is on. Do you have a noticeable noise change when you turn on A/C. I compared the noise to a 320d sedan. Two cars sound similar when A/C is off, but X1 is louder when A/C is on and makes a whistling/screaming noise when revving up. Any comments?
My 23d makes no more noticeable sound with the AC on; nor any whistling at all (other than the subtle turbo noise; but that's barely noticeable unless you're really "looking" for it.)

Edit: and I do use the AC almost 90% of the time; even when I don't actually needed it (like when it's 22ºC and I set it to 21ºC)...
Appreciate 0