Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-26-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
deldridg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 2.0

Uh oh - clutch just slipped at 143,000 kms

Hi folks,

looks like I'm in the market for a replacement clutch for our 2010 sDrive 2.0. Being a diesel I understand they're dual mass and here in Australia that usually translates to $$$ - in addition to being a Beemer. Would have to be at least $2,500AUD at our local friendly BMW service centre.

I'm looking to source the part and have looked at Pelican but I can't register an X1 there - I'm guessing they've lumped it in with the 3 series??? How would I find the correct part #?

Also - there are plenty of Exedy clutch kits available. I have an Exedy dual mass clutch in our Pathfinder and so far so good. Any comments on non-genuine clutches for the X1?

Finally - roughly how long should it take to be installed? I'm hoping not to be given a BS quote by my mechanic (I do trust him but you can't be too careful...).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks from Sydney,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I've got the 14 S28i with 8 speed auto, but clutches can sometimes be saved by making sure the clutch release linkage has a little free play, so no slight opening force.

You might be an expert and this tip is like "no sh*t sherlock", so your mileage will vary.

I find that getting the actual BMW part number, and running that in Google shopping, ideas will spill like mad.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
deldridg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
I've got the 14 S28i with 8 speed auto, but clutches can sometimes be saved by making sure the clutch release linkage has a little free play, so no slight opening force.

You might be an expert and this tip is like "no sh*t sherlock", so your mileage will vary.

I find that getting the actual BMW part number, and running that in Google shopping, ideas will spill like mad.
Thanks for your response. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get some additional life with an adjustment. It's only slipped once - today uphill mildly accelerating in 3rd, but I've had enough clutches to know it's toast!

As for Google shopping... so far I've had only good fortunes! Was just surprised that Pelican doesn't list the X1 in my year!

Cheers and thanks - Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
deldridg
Registered
Rep

Update...

Just called BMW parts - they quoted the following:

- Clutch kit ~ $1,200
- DMF ~ $2,750

Looks like I'm going for an Exedy kit with DMF for around AUD$1,400 to be fitted by my local mechanic. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
David

Last edited by deldridg; 08-27-2018 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Wanted to update the update
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Clutch? What’s that?
Appreciate 0