XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
Surferdude12345
Rep
Drives: X1

Humming sound PCV?

I am getting a humming sound in my intake. See video. I took the PCV pipe off and the hum turned into a high pitch sound. It sounds like a vacuum issue. Let me know your thoughts. This is not rpm related it hums the same all the time. It continues to hum for a few seconds after you turn the car off. I ordered a New PVC valve and will try it out. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Surferdude12345
Rep

Updated PCV humming fixed

A quick update on this....

I tried the PCV and that didn't help. The next thing I did was replaced my valve cover. Most of my research lead me to that as the problem. The valve covers are a known issue and they are well stocked at BMW. While I was replacing my VC I found a major oil leak in my injector well. There was a big pool of oil between 1 and 2 injectors and I had just cleaned all the oil out the week before. I was able to pick up the 9$ gasket from BMW. Luckily I only had to remove one injector and it wasn't difficult to get out. The only issue was the injector de-coupler was stuck in the injector slot. It took some time but I managed to get that out without any issues. I also replaced the injector seal which wasn't that difficult and is required. The car started up right away and I noticed a few fuel leaks on the fuel rail where the lines mate to the injector connectors. I oiled them and tightened the bolts and that looks like it worked. I also replaced my oil cap.

Hope this helps anyone else getting a pcv hum or whistle. The real key indicator was the sound stopped when you open the oil cap
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Surferdude12345
Rep

Updated PCV humming fixed

Two photos worth sharing:

1.) Injector well gasket location with injector removed
2.) Intake valve photo (I was nervous with the PVC system failure)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Judeypoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Yesterday I replaced my valve cover with one from Rein, on startup it began making this exact sound, though only below 800rpm. A minute before I found your video I discovered the humming from the airbox, and when you I saw you resolved this issue by replacing your VC, I was obviously a little distraught. In a last ditch effort I popped the cover over the PCV diaphragm, hoping that was the issue and I could just swap it with the one from the old VC. No such luck, but after reseating the diaphragm and putting the cover back on, no more noise. I have no idea what did the trick or if it was just a fluke, but just figured I'd share my experience in case it helps someone else!
Appreciate 0