Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
citizenboyo
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 28i X1

Hey guys, I literally just broke my turbo inlet, or intake inlet a few hours ago, I know these break really easily so I've been looking into aftermarket inlets for the N20 X1. Has anyone tried or used the MST Turbo Inlet designed for N20 engines? I've been looking at the pictures it literally looks the exact same with the sensors in the right places. If it does fit I can pick it up locally as I am on a tight time frame to get my car to a body shop. Otherwise I'd have to one day ship the FTP inlet somehow with all this corona stuff happening, which is unlikely it will get here in one day in Canada. If anyone knows anything that'd be much appreciated! Ill show some pics of my stock inlet that I broke, and then the MST one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

I can't say it won't work, but none of the sites with this listed (including the MST site) identify it as being compatible with the X1.
      04-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

However, if I look at at ESC Tuning website they show that the stock one is the same one as used in an F30 328i. So there is a pretty good chance that it will fit.

If you give it a try, let us know if it worked or not!

FYI, don't know how soon they will get back, but I emailed MST asking them if this will fit an E84 X1 28i.

Last edited by bucketfoot; 04-02-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
citizenboyo
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
However, if I look at at ESC Tuning website they show that the stock one is the same one as used in an F30 328i. So there is a pretty good chance that it will fit.

FYI, don't know how soon they will get back, but I emailed MST asking them if this will fit an E84 X1 28i.
Quote:

I also did email them too and have several companies trying to contact MST. I mean, it should fit right? I dont think there should be clearance or any issues due to it being the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Have you done anything on this yet?
      04-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
citizenboyo
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you done anything on this yet?
Yep! It fits but I had to make a small trim on the rubber piece for my vacuum sensors to fit, other than that, no issues at all!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenboyo View Post
Yep! It fits but I had to make a small trim on the rubber piece for my vacuum sensors to fit, other than that, no issues at all!

I haven't done mine yet, but am getting close to pulling the trigger. However I'm leaning towards the FTP (I know that you in part went with the MST due to local availability) as it has more aluminium/less rubber.

Is it a fairly simple job to do yourself?

I was a mechanic many, many, very many moons ago and don't do much myself anymore, but may take this on if it is easy enough.
      04-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
citizenboyo
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't done mine yet, but am getting close to pulling the trigger. However I'm leaning towards the FTP (I know that you in part went with the MST due to local availability) as it has more aluminium/less rubber.

I was a mechanic many, many, very many moons ago and don't do much myself anymore, but may take this on if it is easy enough.
Honestly, tightening and loosening the 10mm hex bolt that holds the inlet in place was the hardest for me, no matter with what extension I couldnt get at it, so I had to slowly crank it out with a wrench, dropping the bolt multiple times and searching for it under my car. For easier access take out your wastegate if you go my route of attack, because you have to reach in from the side. Just be weary you'll get lots of cramps and cuts in your hand lol
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
citizenboyo
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, tightening and loosening the 10mm hex bolt that holds the inlet in place was the hardest for me, no matter with what extension I couldnt get at it, so I had to slowly crank it out with a wrench, dropping the bolt multiple times and searching for it under my car. For easier access take out your wastegate if you go my route of attack, because you have to reach in from the side. Just be weary you'll get lots of cramps and cuts in your hand lol
You can watch the Kies Motorsports vid, that helped me alot. Its fairly simple just time consuming and frustrating.
Appreciate 0