Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i Impressions

08-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

M340i Impressions

These are my first impressions after driving my M340i for a few days now, and how it compares to the 2017 340i with MPPK that was my DD for the past 2 years.

I will not be breaking any news by stating that the new car is superior to the F30, but one thing that surprised me is how tame the M340i exhaust sounds, compared to the M performance exhaust on the old car. In sports mode, there are the expected burbles and pops, but quieter by a few decibels, not as loud or violent as my old car, a bit of a let down.

As for power though, the G20 power increase is certainly noticeable, the F30 was no slouch, and at no time did I feel like I needed more power, but the M340i is a rocket ship. Even in comfort mode, a slight flex of my right foot and the car leaps towards the horizon with an eagerness that is just incredible. It makes the M3 overkill, except for people who take their cars to racetrack.

I won't get into how much better the interior of the new car is, it is night and day better than the F30, but I have a couple of gripes. The seats are very comfortable, but having recently sat in a Genesis G70, with soft, perforated leather, I realize that the leather in the BMW is not as nice. Also, I love the look and feel of BMW's new steering wheel, perfect size and heft, but wish the side grip was a softer perforated leather.

All in all, the improvements over the F30 are quite significant, but I guess it will never be perfect. One last thing I've noticed with the G20, after about 30 minutes of driving, the G20 fan stays on for quite a few minutes after the car is turned off, not a negative, but I never noticed that with the F30
Appreciate 0