XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

10-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

Transmission Fluid Change on X1 35i

I am getting ready to perform a transmission fluid change on my X1 35i (~73k miles). Does anyone know if accessing the fill plug requires any special disassembly? I know I will need a shallow 8mm allen key to get in there, but I see that I may also have to remove the brackets for the transfer case (?) Not sure if that is true or not, but I saw it in one instructional video...

Does anyone have any experience and could I get some advice for the job?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Just did it today! Used ZF fluids and a new pan/filter kit. You need to drop the drive shaft to get access, 4 bolts. Also 4 on the exhaust bracket. Make sure you cycle trans thru gears and get up to temp and add more fluid. I used a Schwaben power fill transfer pump kit and it went very smoothly.
Appreciate 1
LevinBR39.50
      11-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
Just did it today! Used ZF fluids and a new pan/filter kit. You need to drop the drive shaft to get access, 4 bolts. Also 4 on the exhaust bracket. Make sure you cycle trans thru gears and get up to temp and add more fluid. I used a Schwaben power fill transfer pump kit and it went very smoothly.
Thanks!! I have several follow up questions for you:

- What kind of bolts on the drive shaft and exhaust bracket? Inverse hex?
- I have 6 liters of ZF fluid. Will that be enough?
- Will a normal allen key be ok for the fill plug or do I need a really shallow one?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
Thanks!! I have several follow up questions for you:

- What kind of bolts on the drive shaft and exhaust bracket? Inverse hex?
- I have 6 liters of ZF fluid. Will that be enough?
- Will a normal allen key be ok for the fill plug or do I need a really shallow one?
The bolts are external torx and easily removed.
I had 6 liters and I think I used about 5 on the fill and the other is still in my power fill unit for future use.
The fill plug has plenty of room after the driveshaft drops out of the way, best to have 3/8th socket style hex keys. Used a small Dewalt impact gun on the removal of everything and all of the pan bolts. That speeds things up and then let it drain for a while.
      11-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The bolts are external torx and easily removed.
I had 6 liters and I think I used about 5 on the fill and the other is still in my power fill unit for future use.
The fill plug has plenty of room after the driveshaft drops out of the way, best to have 3/8th socket style hex keys. Used a small Dewalt impact gun on the removal of everything and all of the pan bolts. That speeds things up and then let it drain for a while.
What tool did you use to remove the drive shaft bolts? My standard socket wrench could not get the job done. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Never mind, I did some more research. I'll spray with PB blaster, then use a breaker bar. I also realize I need to mark the orientation first. I'm glad I stopped when I did! More advice from anyone is welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just a quick heads up:

I just found out that the four bolts for the drive shaft are ONE TIME USE ONLY. They will back out if you reuse them because the threads have already been stretched. Apparently BMW started using these aluminum one-time-use bolts in 2008 for weight reduction due to stricter average MPG requirements.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #8
kry226
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Have you already completed this job?

I did my tranny fluid earlier this year on the same vehicle as yours and I don't recall doing anything with the drive shaft. I removed some of the splash shields for access, but certainly not the DS.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
Have you already completed this job?

I did my tranny fluid earlier this year on the same vehicle as yours and I don't recall doing anything with the drive shaft. I removed some of the splash shields for access, but certainly not the DS.
The fill plug on the automatic 6 speed zf transmission is right next to the drive shaft, no? Removing the drive shaft gives more room to get to that plug. I assume you were able to work around the drive shaft somehow? I didn't have a hex key shallow enough to remove the plug without dropping the drive shaft.. I'm curious to know how you did it without that step!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
kry226
Private
Rep

Quote:
The fill plug on the automatic 6 speed zf transmission is right next to the drive shaft, no? Removing the drive shaft gives more room to get to that plug. I assume you were able to work around the drive shaft somehow? I didn't have a hex key shallow enough to remove the plug without dropping the drive shaft.. I'm curious to know how you did it without that step!
IIRC, the fill plug for my ZF 6HP is on the right side, toward the rear, not far from the Mechatronics sealing sleeve (which should also be changed while you're in there, IMHO). It was about 10 months ago when I did the procedure, so I am a little fuzzy on exact location, so I apologize for that.

This link shows where I recall the fill plug to be.
https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/p...smission.shtml

Slide 51 here:
http://www.hiltoncamons.com/resource...chatronics.pdf

One thing I am certain, I never removed the drive shaft.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IIRC, the fill plug for my ZF 6HP is on the right side, toward the rear, not far from the Mechatronics sealing sleeve (which should also be changed while you're in there, IMHO). It was about 10 months ago when I did the procedure, so I am a little fuzzy on exact location, so I apologize for that.

This link shows where I recall the fill plug to be.
https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/p...smission.shtml

Slide 51 here:
http://www.hiltoncamons.com/resource...chatronics.pdf

One thing I am certain, I never removed the drive shaft.
Ok, below is the exact transmission which I have in my car.

https://www.zf.com/global/media/prod..._DataSheet.pdf

The pictures you are referring to seem to show a different transmission with fill plug on the right. As you can see in the above link, my transmission had the fill plug on the back left (next to drive shaft).. We seem to have 35i X1s with slightly different transmissions.. Where did you acquire your X1 (your location says Germany, but the car was only sold in North America).. Did you ever have your trany rebuilt or replaced? Is your car right or left hand drive?

Last edited by LevinBR; 12-11-2017 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #12
kry226
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok, below is the exact transmission which I have in my car.

https://www.zf.com/global/media/prod..._DataSheet.pdf

The pictures you are referring to seem to show a different transmission with fill plug on the right. As you can see in the above link, my transmission had the fill plug on the back left (next to drive shaft).. We seem to have 35i X1s with slightly different transmissions.. Where did you acquire your X1 (your location says Germany, but the car was only sold in North America).. Did you ever have your trany rebuilt or replaced? Is your car right or left hand drive?
My car is a USA spec vehicle purchased here in Germany through the U.S. government/military program. We bought it used about a year and a half ago and the tranny has never been replaced that I am aware. I have seen a collection of 6HP videos and pics along with several locations for fill plugs. It is possible that there may be some slight differences in our transmissions depending on when each car was built. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say, and I wish my memory was less fuzzy. But I am absolutely certain that I did not drop the drive shaft to do either the transmission or transfer case fluid changes. In fact, I don't remember working on the left side of the drive train at all.

I have to do an oil change here soon and I'll inspect my tranny for its fill plug and report back. Sorry to mess with your head.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is a USA spec vehicle purchased here in Germany through the U.S. government/military program. We bought it used about a year and a half ago and the tranny has never been replaced that I am aware. I have seen a collection of 6HP videos and pics along with several locations for fill plugs. It is possible that there may be some slight differences in our transmissions depending on when each car was built. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say, and I wish my memory was less fuzzy. But I am absolutely certain that I did not drop the drive shaft to do either the transmission or transfer case fluid changes. In fact, I don't remember working on the left side of the drive train at all.

I have to do an oil change here soon and I'll inspect my tranny for its fill plug and report back. Sorry to mess with your head.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing some more about your X1! Interesting that our models have slight variations in transmission design.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
E46M3E84X1
Rep
Drives: Xdrive 35i

Just did the fluid and filter on my 13 35i. In fact there are two plugs. 1 is next to the drive shaft (one I use) and the other one is on the rear passenger side of the transmission, hard to see (is right below the sealing sleeve) Link shows the plug on the rear. Yeah it’s for an e90 but same trans. (On the comments he says that the plug next to the driveshaft is slightly higher that the one on the rear)

Last edited by E46M3E84X1; 06-16-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
NemoX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xdrive35i msport

Reviving this thread with a question. Were any of you experiencing issues which prompted the trans service? My X1 has developed a stutter. I am trying to diagnose. Occurs with light throttle input between 20 and 40 mph. Not always and not when I accelerate harder. No codes or warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
NemoX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xdrive35i msport

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #17
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoX1 View Post
Anyone?
Did you ever figure this out?

You should post more info.

Did you use oem fluids?

Did you get the tranny up to temp when you added the fluid back in? And then after cycle the car through the gears and then add more fluid?

Its hard to say without giving more information what your problem is or was in this case
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:26 AM   #18
Spectralus
Rep
Drives: E84 xDrive 23D

My 6speed transmission was completely rebuilt at 235k km, that's about 146k miles.
Refurbished torque converter, mechatronic + new solenoid kit. Total cost 2100euro.

Take note, this is EU model 2.3D n47 engine. Transmission GA6HP19Z.

Started around 204k, 3->4 shift was slightly harsher. Nothing too bad, changed transmission fluid. Did not help.
Around 230k things went worse, noticed some weird stutters, bad gear shifts, slipping gears when transmission's oil reached higher temp. Eg when driving spirited in town or highway. Since it got really bad I had then rebuilt the transmission. Half year later now, no problems, drives better when I bought it at 200k km. Also remapped + xhp stg1 tune. Around 450nm.
Appreciate 0