XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Can we Talk about How Ridiculous the BMW Brake Sensor Is?

So, I'm a little upset.

I went into the dealer for an oil change 3 days ago, and they told me the smart key was telling them the brakes need replacement. I said, I checked the brakes and they were at 6mm about 2 months ago (thats true, I checked them). They agreed, after looking that they were okay, that probably at my next service I should consider it, but for now, they were fine.

Today while driving home, my brake light on my dash came on. I took the right rear wheel off. and took the caliper off. My inner pad (the lowest of the two is still is 4.95mmm , yes I measured with a caliper).

So at 5mm my brake light comes off, and at 5mm the brake sensor has to be replaced!? What kind of BS is that? No honest shop would be replacing a customers brakes at 5mm, and to my understanding the brake light (red) can't be turned off except for replacement of the sensor.

WTF BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Just short the wires together and bypass the sensor. People managed to live for years without these stupid things!
      02-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

At 25k miles on my s28i M sport, rears were half worn, and more than fronts. It's the E-diff going off for traction.

I put some Ceramic pads on to slow down that braking, and have brakes last longer.

Car brakes fine, just not grabby anymore.

No sensors were tripped, and just tied them up off the brake pad.

I'm always watching tires and pads.

Don't need that minder.

Car will be 6 years in May, and haven't spend anything at BMW dealer other than car.

Wish me luck to keep that up.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Just short the wires together and bypass the sensor. People managed to live for years without these stupid things!
Many here have reported that doesn't work anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
At 25k miles on my s28i M sport, rears were half worn, and more than fronts. It's the E-diff going off for traction.

I put some Ceramic pads on to slow down that braking, and have brakes last longer.

Car brakes fine, just not grabby anymore.

No sensors were tripped, and just tied them up off the brake pad.

I'm always watching tires and pads.

Don't need that minder.

Car will be 6 years in May, and haven't spend anything at BMW dealer other than car.

Wish me luck to keep that up.

My sensor has apparent tripped. And that really pisses me off. Especially at 5mm of brake pad left.

I'm looking at switching to ceramics now too. Just debating on which store to get them from. Autozone doesn't seem to have ceramics, but I've had really good luck with their lifetime warranty in the past.

Advance sells ceramics, but I've never used their lifetime warranty. (Box stores rotors don't seem to last more than 18 months or so, so I like being able to warranty them).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Same on my 335i had plenty of brake pad but BRAKE came on. As the earlier say i joined the wires togeter on both the sensors to get rid of it. It is noteworthy to mention that they were not oem brake pad sensors but the Uro brand.
Fyi check out rock auto for pads and rotor, hard to beat em
      02-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Your car is telling you that it's time to check your brakes based on computer estimation. When you went to the dealer the system told them that soon the warning will trip on you and they offer to check it. They would not replace the pads if they are not worn but they will reset the car for another brake cycle (like installing new pads). If you're out of free maintenance they will probably charge you just for the reset. Maybe that's why they didn't touch it and now the warning is tripping on you.

You can try resetting through the board computer. If that doesn't work you need to hook up the car to diagnostic system and do it from there.

I personally like both systems, sensor and computer based. I maintain two cars and any warning is good reason for diagnostic. I've heard the brakes on many E84 last longer than other models. My X1 s28i approaching 76k is still on original brakes. Just periodic fluid flush. I have new set (front and rear rotors and pads) sitting in the garage waiting for the sensor to trip on red.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #7
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

I bought Centric Ceramic, and if you Google that along with posi-quiet there are lots of online places to buy along with the others that will work.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I personally would not recommend ceramic. I've tried it on a number of my cars and all developed brake judder after 15-25k miles...all with new rotors. I have 50k miles on the original semi metallic OE pads so will be sticking with those when I need a replacement for the rears later this year. Personally, I'd rather have the brake sensor than no sensor, like on other cars.
      02-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

I always had bad leg control with mild form of Muscular dystrophy, and I'm so glad to get rid of the grabiness of semi-metalic on my RX8 also. I even use a brake stick with left arm. I have instant breaking when someone pulls out, without needing to hunt brake with weak right leg. I can feel pad touching rotor without any braking, and I can easily add 10 -20 # forces, and bring car down. I got to bluff my way into 20 track days (could barely walk to car), and they are all: "Stab brake hard, and hold, for max braking". Since we don't race to corner, I'm a light brake user, and have sold 2 100k vehicles that never had pads touched.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Same on my 335i had plenty of brake pad but BRAKE came on. As the earlier say i joined the wires togeter on both the sensors to get rid of it. It is noteworthy to mention that they were not oem brake pad sensors but the Uro brand.
Fyi check out rock auto for pads and rotor, hard to beat em

You took the sensor off the brake pad and spliced those wires together right? Didn't you have to remove the caliper/brake pads to get the U-clip end out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
Your car is telling you that it's time to check your brakes based on computer estimation. . I've heard the brakes on many E84 last longer than other models. My X1 s28i approaching 76k is still on original brakes. Just periodic fluid flush. I have new set (front and rear rotors and pads) sitting in the garage waiting for the sensor to trip on red.

The onboard mileage system in the car status menu gives you a warning they are coming due. My issue is the brake sensor has tripped, turning on the red brake light, with almost 5mm of pad material remaining. Which is just a way for BMW to sell replacement parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I personally would not recommend ceramic. I've tried it on a number of my cars and all developed brake judder after 15-25k miles...all with new rotors. I have 50k miles on the original semi metallic OE pads so will be sticking with those when I need a replacement for the rears later this year. Personally, I'd rather have the brake sensor than no sensor, like on other cars.

Personally, I'm more than capable of checking brakes periodically. My OEM rear brakes tripped the light at 41k miles, and it's clear as day there is plenty of brake life left. New rotors will come with a 2 year warranty, and I'm not opposed to using that warranty after 20k miles, if they develop a shudder. For brakes that are 1/3 the price it seems worth it. Especially with the automatic brakes applied on the rear axle for the traction slip thing. Ceramics seem to be the way to go.

Last edited by SharpAndCunning; 02-15-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

i think the amount of dust created by the semi metallic brake is very bad. on my next chance i am going ceramic. I have used ceramic in all my other cars and is used by most manufacturers. downside is maybe a bit less performance.

the sensor are cheap. most people driving bmw are not as handy and mechanical as most of us in these forums. they rely on sensor to maintain their cars. BMW most like has it set up prematurely for safety of dumb people. the light turns on and they take another 6 months before they go and ask the dealer what is the meaning of the light.

for us, leave the warning light on until is the true time for replacement?.

Last edited by mreric; 02-15-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

^ Agreed.

Can anyone confirm the OEM sensors can or can not be tripped by splicing the wires together?

I'd like to turn the red light off for the next 5k miles before I change out my brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
^ Agreed.

Can anyone confirm the OEM sensors can or can not be tripped by splicing the wires together?

I'd like to turn the red light off for the next 5k miles before I change out my brakes.
I spliced my fronts together, no faults.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
I spliced my fronts together, no faults.
How'd you do it? Right at the connector at the chassis? Or at the connector in the brake clip?

-John
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #15
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
I bought Centric Ceramic, and if you Google that along with posi-quiet there are lots of online places to buy along with the others that will work.
That is what i use, centric posiquiet ceramic. I also got the pagid rotors w some geo cermet coating from RA for the 335i
      02-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #16
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't understand purpose of sensors for non mechanical people.

Wouldn't the purpose be to save the rotors?

Why an idiot light to tell people WHY that horrid sound from brakes worn, IS BRAKES WORN?

BMW wants to sell pads and rotors as a set anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #17
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
I don't understand purpose of sensors for non mechanical people.

Wouldn't the purpose be to save the rotors?

Why an idiot light to tell people WHY that horrid sound from brakes worn, IS BRAKES WORN?

BMW wants to sell pads and rotors as a set anyway.
I agree. If it's their policy to always sell you new rotors with brake pads (who else does this?!), why bother having a sensor that would, presumably, save the rotor from damage? Weird...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
RXeckless
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xline

Just this weekend my wife was driving home alone service warning came up!
Yet under Idrive Service say Front Pads 60,000 Kms and the Rear Pads 32,000 Kms. What gives with the conflicting information?
Figure it the rear brakes as the fronts were done last fall and the brakes have been squealing in reverse recently. Hope to check today but we're in the middle of un-forecasted blizzard and cold a hell!

This morning Idrive Service say Back Pads 1900 Kms after I drove in the snow and warning turned off.
Attached Images

2006 RX-8 GT GG (Sold), 2009 RX-8 R3 VR Red (Sold)
2013 BMW 135i Sport (Sold)

Last edited by RXeckless; 03-05-2019 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: This morning
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
the dust on semi metallic is enough for me to get ceramic.

all brake pad have a bed in procedures, this is the best way not get the judder

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...In-Your-Brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

If you're wondering why different, the rears go twice as fast which is opposite of most cars.

Why? Because the rears have dynamic differential. When starting off if rear tire on one side slips, it brakes hard to throw power to other side.

That wears brake faster, and skids tire each time power thrown and received. That's why I have ceramic on back, and still have half my original brakes on front.

Now I have less dust, less wear of brakes and tires, and actually takes off faster now. I', not playing that $2k for brakes rinse and repeat. Rear brake pads $31, caliper pusher, $7, $7 hex key socket 9mm I think, and "wasted" $55 on fronts I'll put on when needs it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #21
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreric View Post
the dust on semi metallic is enough for me to get ceramic.

all brake pad have a bed in procedures, this is the best way not get the judder

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...In-Your-Brakes
I have always done bed-in on new pads/rotors. That is not the issue. The issue is the ceramic pad material is too rotor friendly. When you get judder, an aggressive bed in will eliminate it on semi-metallic pads. Not so with ceramic! And I've tried a few different brands out there. I'd rather stick with semi-metallic and make due with the occasional noise and need for cleaning the rims.
      03-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #22
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

mishmosh
You've had some seriously bad luck or beating the rotors on with a hammer?
I couldn't imagine using anything besides ceramic these days.
With that being said I've only had a full set of ceramics on 5 vehicles so maybe I lucked out.
Appreciate 0