Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-05-2019, 02:22 AM   #1
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

E84 Data Logging

Hi All- I'm a new e84 35i owner. I love this car is the short story.

I'm just starting to get in to the tuning options for this car, and I want to baseline my engine. Mainly I'm curious about my IATs. I'm having trouble finding a good data logging option. I have an INPA cable, but can't seem to find a good way to reliably read the data from my ECU. I have tried INPA, ByteLogger and BMWLogger with no luck. They all seem to be ready for the more common cars like 3, 5 series and M cars, but not for our X1s.

Can someone point me to a tried a true solution (preferably free or low cost using my existing USB cable) for reading and logging data from the ECU?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: After a day of playing with INPA, SPDaten files, etc...I took the advice I found on various forums and went with Bimmer Geeks Pro Tool.

It wasn't that expensive and was really easy to use. Now I can just keep my cable in the car, and no matter where I am I can log at around 100ms resolution, read codes and clear codes. To me that was worth the ~$60.

Made some really nice plots tonight of driving around...even did a 0-60 run (but 6 seconds though...at 5300ft elevation so maybe that explains it).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
BMWKing123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 800+ HP C7 Z06, 550i M, M998

Are you still using the Bimmer Geeks Pro Tool? How do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Give MHD tuning a try. You can download the APP on your phone and datalog with your BImmergeek cable.

Also, any E seriess n55 tuning/logging tools should work for our X1 35i.
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Yes still using it. The logging works great, although sometimes I lose the connection tot he car and have to reconnect. I honestly think it's due to the cell phone not being steady and the usb connection moving.

The coding side of the module is so-so. Its advantage is that it gives you access to all the coding options. It gives you two options for views of the coding modules: a simple english version and a german version with all the options. When you get in to more advanced coding I suggest researching what you want on the internet, and then searching for that coding term in the Bimmer Geeks interface. Scrolling through all those german words hasn't ever helped me!

I'm sure MHD works well for logging. I went with Bimmer Geeks because I have a tune already and wanted just logging and coding.
      09-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
BMWKing123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 800+ HP C7 Z06, 550i M, M998

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Yes still using it. The logging works great, although sometimes I lose the connection tot he car and have to reconnect. I honestly think it's due to the cell phone not being steady and the usb connection moving.

The coding side of the module is so-so. Its advantage is that it gives you access to all the coding options. It gives you two options for views of the coding modules: a simple english version and a german version with all the options. When you get in to more advanced coding I suggest researching what you want on the internet, and then searching for that coding term in the Bimmer Geeks interface. Scrolling through all those german words hasn't ever helped me!

I'm sure MHD works well for logging. I went with Bimmer Geeks because I have a tune already and wanted just logging and coding.
Thank you for the info. I'm looking into a tune for my X1 N20 soon.
Appreciate 0