XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #309
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Welp got the call from the shop...M3 bar does not fit. They played with it for a while and couldn't get the holes of the bar to fit properly with the end links so they just installed the m sport bar with bushing inserts. Disappointing but this is the second shop that tried installing the M3 bar. I'll report back if there's any noticeable improvement with the new set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
Keep us updated. I'm between those two bars right now. You are doing exactly what I wish I could with both of those!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #310
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Thanks for the update. Let us know how the handling changes and if you think it was worth it. With the conflicting reports on the M3 RSB's fitment I might go with the Msport X1 RSB if you think it helps the understeer and body roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBimmerX1 View Post
Welp got the call from the shop...M3 bar does not fit. They played with it for a while and couldn't get the holes of the bar to fit properly with the end links so they just installed the m sport bar with bushing inserts. Disappointing but this is the second shop that tried installing the M3 bar. I'll report back if there's any noticeable improvement with the new set up.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #311
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

I've had a chance to drive on back roads and do some normal driving. Day to day normal driving there isn't a difference. As far as more aggressive maneuvering, I can tell there's an overall improvement in corning as far as feeling confident and the car staying a bit flatter. It isn't a night and day as I'm sure the M3 bar would produce, but I only paid a few hundred bucks in labor so I say it is worth it. Mind you, I also had them install rear subframe bushing inserts from Whiteline so there may be a combo effect of both.

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Let us know how the handling changes and if you think it was worth it. With the conflicting reports on the M3 RSB's fitment I might go with the Msport X1 RSB if you think it helps the understeer and body roll.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #312
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've had a chance to drive on back roads and do some normal driving. Day to day normal driving there isn't a difference. As far as more aggressive maneuvering, I can tell there's an overall improvement in corning as far as feeling confident and the car staying a bit flatter. It isn't a night and day as I'm sure the M3 bar would produce, but I only paid a few hundred bucks in labor so I say it is worth it. Mind you, I also had them install rear subframe bushing inserts from Whiteline so there may be a combo effect of both.
Thanks for the update! Sounds like it was worth it.

On another note: I've got a 2015 35i with 50k miles. The rear suspension is a bit loose feeling - seems to bob after a speed bump, even worse when the car is loaded for a trip. I want to keep the stock ride height - we go offroad a little here in CO (no new springs). The B6s are looking really attractive. When did y'all replace the stock dampers? Was there a big improvement in the 50k mile range from stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #313
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

I upgraded to bilstein b6s at around 50k miles. My stock right rear was leaking fluid so it was a good time to upgrade all 4 corners. Honestly I didn't feel much improvement until I also switched to H&R springs.

Quote:
Thanks for the update! Sounds like it was worth it.

On another note: I've got a 2015 35i with 50k miles. The rear suspension is a bit loose feeling - seems to bob after a speed bump, even worse when the car is loaded for a trip. I want to keep the stock ride height - we go offroad a little here in CO (no new springs). The B6s are looking really attractive. When did y'all replace the stock dampers? Was there a big improvement in the 50k mile range from stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #314
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I went ahead and did the rears. Regular (non-M-Sport) 35i at 50k miles. The install was incredibly easy, took maybe a few hours and that was with some goofing around. Old dampers looked fine, one of them has a bit of a "burble" at the end of the stroke.

Now, having B6s on the rear and stock on the front, I'll try to make a comparison to stock.

I can definitely feel a difference and can characterize this in two ways. Large undulations like the longer speed bumps and when the road sinks a bit on the highway settle out way faster. Makes the car feel a lot more stable (except that the front keep going a bit!). Small, sharper hits at higher speed are smoother - the dampers seem to "let go" easier and give less of a jolt to the interior.

I'll definitely do the fronts once I have some time - the rears were totally worth it.

Quote:
I upgraded to bilstein b6s at around 50k miles. My stock right rear was leaking fluid so it was a good time to upgrade all 4 corners. Honestly I didn't feel much improvement until I also switched to H&R springs.
I can imagine that some extra stiffness and a lowering helps a ton. I can't sacrifice the ground clearance here in CO. I'm trying to figure out the spring rates so I can order some springs that are a bit stiffer but maintain the same ride height - no luck yet. Knowing that the B6s are good enough for the H&R spring rate makes comfortable that the B6s have enough rebound damping to handle the increase.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #315
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive35i

First, what a wonderful contribution of information and insight regarding the suspension. I'm inclined to say this has turned out to be the definitive Shock/Strut/Suspension thread for my E84 X1. It took a few days to get through LOL, but I'm so impressed with all the contributors who have forged the way here. Thank you all!

I've got a few things I'm trying to address with my xDrive 35i, but after a 30 mile round trip to NYC today, suspension/tires is now top on the list. It is quite a bumpy (and noisy) ride - not something I would expect from a BMW with 40k miles on it. Going from my almost worn out run-flats to non-run-flats should be a big help.

But for the suspension, if comfort is my largest priority (not feeling every little bump in the road), is the consensus that the H&R/Bilstein B6 combo is still my best bet?

It sounds like I can expect that to improve both performance and comfort, and before I go that route, was curious if there aren't even more comfortable setups - assuming I would be willing to sacrifice the corresponding loss in performance (probably not!).

Finally, everyone who has installed the H&R Spring/Bilstein B6 setup gives it an emphatic thumbs up, so it's hard to resist going to a 'known quantity' with all around approval, but again, just want to see if there are other thoughts out there regarding the best possible comfortable ride.

Has anyone installed the KW Street Comfort Kit on the X1? Would this work for the X1 xDrive35i?
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...RoCktkQAvD_BwE

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by jhirsch123; 01-06-2020 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Added a link to the KW Street Comfort Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #316
speirs45
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

This may not be the right thread but I haven't found a better place to post this. I'm looking for OEM front springs for my 2014 x28i and am not having any luck searching online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #317
mgbm
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 28i xDrive

I’m looking at power flex rear sway bar bushings and it lists 11, 12, 13, 15, 15mm options. What do I get? I currently have H&R springs with stock shock but plan to get KW V1 coilovers soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #318
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M Sport

Can anyone comment on their experience with either the Bilstein B12 kit (comes with springs that lower the car 30mm) or Bilstein B6 shocks/struts with the stock M Sport springs? Tautness/harshness/agility/comfort etc. The two are similar in price ($680 vs $660) and I'm weighing my options.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #319
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocheDeZippeh View Post
Can anyone comment on their experience with either the Bilstein B12 kit (comes with springs that lower the car 30mm) or Bilstein B6 shocks/struts with the stock M Sport springs? Tautness/harshness/agility/comfort etc. The two are similar in price ($680 vs $660) and I'm weighing my options.
I ordered a B12 kit but apparently it was on forever backorder. They kept pushing the ship date every two weeks. After a couple months I gave up and ordered KW V1's. I'm amazed how much better the car rides than stock.
      10-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #320
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
FYI, I installed a Whiteline rear swaybar for an E90 335i in my X1 and it fits like OEM. It's 20mm, and the improvement is HUGE. The car no longer feels like a whale in the corners. I highly recommend it.
      11-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #321
Oregun
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

Msport coil spring replacement

Hello-

I've read this entire post 3 times and learned a lot.

I am replacing my struts/shocks to the B6 but want to run my stock springs.

I am told that at 100k miles, you should replace your springs too.

1). I cannot find any online retailer that even lists the Msport springs for sale.

Does anyone have a set of 4 that aren't abused that would sell to me?
Does anyone know where I could buy them new besides the dealer?

2). Does anyone know the spring rate difference between the 3.5i and 3.5 Msport springs?

3). Is there a set of coilovers that do not lower the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #322
Jlajoie03
Rep
Drives: E84 BMW X1 xdrive28i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbm View Post
I’m looking at power flex rear sway bar bushings and it lists 11, 12, 13, 15, 15mm options. What do I get? I currently have H&R springs with stock shock but plan to get KW V1 coilovers soon.
Did you end up for the KW coils? And did you get an answer on the bushings? I am hoping to do those coilovers in the spring and I don't have a ton of knowledge mechanically so I am just inquiring on all the parts needed/recommended to do the install. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #323
kchurch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, 2015 X1 xdrive28i

Bumping this thread. Hoping that anyone that's replaced their suspension recently can chime in on their experience

I'm really just looking for an improvement in comfort on everyday driving. Speed bumps and uneven pavement can be jarring. I'm at 60k miles. Not interested in lowering the car, so probably leaning towards Bilstein B4. Thinking about replacing the springs too, but unsure on what to go with if I do.

Any recommendations or thoughts? Open to looking at other setups too.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #324
Ardorventura
Rep
Drives: 15' BMW X1 XDrive35i

My 2015 X1 came with the sports suspension, just replaced the OEM shocks with Bilstein B6s at 86K miles. The OEM shocks were worn out when I replaced them, but I kept the OEM springs since they were in good shape. Not sure if it's because the old shocks were worn out or it's the b6s, but the ride is softer and less harsh after I changed the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #325
jhirsch123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive35i

@Ardoventura - How is the handling after the change to B6 shocks? Also, do you have the 4 cylinder or 6? Still need to tackle this. I'm just at about 70k miles and the handling is just as underwhelming as it was at 40k. My '07 Audi wagon handles better than this thing LOL. The switch to non-RFTs (cross-climate) was a nice improvement to the ride, but still somewhat harsh. Still thinking B6, but hard to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #326
Ardorventura
Rep
Drives: 15' BMW X1 XDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsch123 View Post
@Ardoventura - How is the handling after the change to B6 shocks? Also, do you have the 4 cylinder or 6? Still need to tackle this. I'm just at about 70k miles and the handling is just as underwhelming as it was at 40k. My '07 Audi wagon handles better than this thing LOL. The switch to non-RFTs (cross-climate) was a nice improvement to the ride, but still somewhat harsh. Still thinking B6, but hard to know.
I have the 6 cylinder e84. Handling is great for a small suv, steering is heavy and accurate, which is what I prefer. Chose the E84 X1 over a f30 3 series because of the feel of the old school hydraulic steering. Why do you think the handling is underwhelming? You might want to look at the state of your control arms if steering feel is an issue.
Appreciate 0