XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-05-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

The Hoverboard

Wow ...

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Very cool, however.

**Special skate park made with magnets in the ground.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie View Post
Very cool, however.

**Special skate park made with magnets in the ground.
Yep - granted. I'd still love a blast on it ! Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

You all realize this is being faked. How do you have a skate park which is magnetic and you do not have an issue of knowing where the north and south poles are of the magnets.

Also notice when they were putting LN2 into the board no one was wearing any gloves. You can not handle LN2 without gloves. The whole video is being faked to make it look like it is real.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-11-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
You all realize this is being faked. How do you have a skate park which is magnetic and you do not have an issue of knowing where the north and south poles of the magnet.

Also notice when they were putting LN2 into the board no one was wearing any gloves. You can not handle LN2 without gloves. The whole video us being faked to make it look like it is real.
Yeah, not quite sure if people know how magnets work. Go buy 2 magnets and try to hover 1 over the other without it flipping and connecting, it's easy until you start moving them, then it's very difficult.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
You all realize this is being faked. How do you have a skate park which is magnetic and you do not have an issue of knowing where the north and south poles of the magnet.

Also notice when they were putting LN2 into the board no one was wearing any gloves. You can not handle LN2 without gloves. The whole video us being faked to make it look like it is real.
The video is real, Lexus did build an actual hoverboard which is completely impractical since the LN2 needs to be refilled after 10 minutes of use in order to keep the superconductors cool enough. The superconductors don't need an oscillating magnetic field. Why that is I won't pretend I remember or know.

Lexus built that skateboard park in Spain and was built specifically for that hoverboard (which obviously wouldn't work anywhere outside that park). Trying to remember college, theoretically, the ground just needs metal that a magnet would interact with in order for it to hover like that. Something like steel would work.

This has been done before, Lexus just decided to waste a crazy amount of money in just increasing the scale at which it's done. Still cool nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
The video is real, Lexus did build an actual hoverboard which is completely impractical since the LN2 needs to be refilled after 10 minutes of use in order to keep the superconductors cool enough. The superconductors don't need an oscillating magnetic field. Why that is I won't pretend I remember or know.

Lexus built that skateboard park in Spain and was built specifically for that hoverboard (which obviously wouldn't work anywhere outside that park). Trying to remember college, theoretically, the ground just needs metal that a magnet would interact with in order for it to hover like that. Something like steel would work.

This has been done before, Lexus just decided to waste a crazy amount of money in just increasing the scale at which it's done. Still cool nonetheless.
The only part of the park which was modified was the pond in the middle which you can see the rail that board hoover overs and a small section of the concrete they buried the rail in, you can see the section of the concrete the modified the rest was completely fake. The problem is video magic is so good these days it hard to tell when reality ends the magic takes over.

Reason being, the magnetic poles have to stay completely align within in a few fraction of an inch to balance any movement one way or another and it will not work.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
You all realize this is being faked. How do you have a skate park which is magnetic and you do not have an issue of knowing where the north and south poles are of the magnets.

Also notice when they were putting LN2 into the board no one was wearing any gloves. You can not handle LN2 without gloves. The whole video is being faked to make it look like it is real.
Because Lexus thought it would be awesome to fool everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #9
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You all realize this is being faked. How do you have a skate park which is magnetic and ...
There is also a "story" video for this ... I don't know if you've seen this one ... cheers :

Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

The park isn't made of magnets IIRC. The ground is made of metal plates and the board itself has magnets and superconductors inside.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Lexus doing what they do best...gimmicks
      08-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
The park isn't made of magnets IIRC. The ground is made of metal plates and the board itself has magnets and superconductors inside.
If that was true then the board would attached itself to the metal plates and you could not pull them apart. Magnetic levation only works when you have two magnetic fields which are opposing one another.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
There is also a "story" video for this ... I don't know if you've seen this one ... cheers :
I know how superconductors work, when I was in Engineering Student in collect way back, one of my professors was doing research on high temp (greated than absolute zero) superconditors at the time and I was helping out with the research. Mostly testing at what temp did the material loose its superconducting properties.

As I said they did not install the magnetic rails all over that park, especially in the ramps and banked surfaces. What Lexus did was done years ago, they just attached the magnetic to a board and made it hoover over a magnetic rail.

I just feal sorry for people who think Lexus did something which was never done before.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:

I just feal sorry for people who think Lexus did something which was never done before.

why would you feel sorry? I don't think it's that serious friend.
      08-13-2015, 02:43 AM   #15
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No worries. It sounds like you did some interesting work at college.

I agree with others : it is a gimmick : but I still think it's impressive, and I would love to have a go on that board ... even with all of it's constraints.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0