XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #67
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I've had tools (that are only for killing) in my possession since that Christmas morning back in 1978. Still innocent of taking any human lives. Guess I'm doing it wrong :
Appreciate 5
Run Silent11033.00
MKSixer13947.50
David0ff765.50
vreihen16486.50

07-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #68
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Gun is a tool that's true, but it's a tool for killing.

Why do we need a tool for killing available to everyone even crazy ppl?

Cars are a tool for driving but if you can't see or have seizures or other problems nobody will let you drive

So why does everyone get a right to use a tool for killing? Who is that helping? Why does a tool for killing need to be so easily accessible?

I never understand you guys comparing tool of killing to a tool of construction or a tool of transporting. It's not even close to each other except you can use the word tool for both.

It's like saying a pen and a car are basicly the same thing because they are both tools lol
Condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Killing is a decision and an act. The tool is immaterial. Gun's, knives, bow and arrows, sling shots, spears, garrotes, blunt instruments, axes, etc., make the heinous act easier and faster...more convenient.

Guns do have a higher propensity for accidental killing which is a major caveat.

The decision to kill is made in the mind long before the act is committed...the tool is just that...a tool.

Cheers-mk
Serious question, if you see someone walking around the street or even your neighborhood with a large knife or a bow and arrow, would you be ok with that?

Would you not be worried he has a bad intention to hurt someone otherwise why would someone possibly need to walk around the street with a large knife or bow and arrow. I think most ppl would probably call the cops!

Those are tools too but with a guy walking around the street with that tool nothing good can happen so yes it's a crazy person using a tool but the wrong tool in the wrong place should be a sign of something bad and why not prevent it if we can. I can't think of anything good reason for a person to walk around with a gun in city streets. I think even old west banned guns inside towns and cities.

Keep it in your house or in your property or for when that day ppl are worried about protection from a revolution that's cool but why do we need ppl allowed to walk around the streets with it
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #69
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Serious question, if you see someone walking around the street or even your neighborhood with a large knife or a bow and arrow, would you be ok with that?

Would you not be worried he has a bad intention to hurt someone otherwise why would someone possibly need to walk around the street with a large knife or bow and arrow. I think most ppl would probably call the cops!

Those are tools too but with a guy walking around the street with that tool nothing good can happen so yes it's a crazy person using a tool but the wrong tool in the wrong place should be a sign of something bad and why not prevent it if we can. I can't think of anything good reason for a person to walk around with a gun in city streets. I think even old west banned guns inside towns and cities.

Keep it in your house or in your property or for when that day ppl are worried about protection from a revolution that's cool but why do we need ppl allowed to walk around the streets with it

By your logic ...

What is the difference between:

a) Someone carrying a concealed handgun which is not visible to the general public, who has been through a background check and deemed responsible and of sound mind, in order to protect themselves in the event of a robbery, assault, mugging, etc.

b) Someone who has gone through many years of combat training, martial arts training, strength conditioning, situational awareness, and other programs to enable their body, fists, and feet to be lethal weapons in order to protect themselves in the event of a robbery, assault, mugging, etc.

The only difference is that (a) allows someone who doesn't have the strength or ability (elderly, many females, smaller stature folks, handicapped) to protect themselves the same as those who are able to do (b).

This is why. It allows someone who was disadvantaged through birth, etc. to 'equal the playing field' in the event they are the victim of violent crime.

Why take this away from them?
      07-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #70
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:

By your logic ...

What is the difference between:

a) Someone carrying a concealed handgun which is not visible to the general public, who has been through a background check and deemed responsible and of sound mind, in order to protect themselves in the event of a robbery, assault, mugging, etc.

b) Someone who has gone through many years of combat training, martial arts training, strength conditioning, situational awareness, and other programs to enable their body, fists, and feet to be lethal weapons in order to protect themselves in the event of a robbery, assault, mugging, etc.

The only difference is that (a) allows someone who doesn't have the strength or ability (elderly, many females, smaller stature folks, handicapped) to protect themselves the same as those who are able to do (b).

This is why. It allows someone who was disadvantaged through birth, etc. to 'equal the playing field' in the event they are the victim of violent crime.

Why take this away from them?
I think that is all imaginary!

If I see someone with a bow and arrow, a large knife or a gun walking around the streets I automatically assume that dude is totally crazy and I would get as far away as possible. I think on the internet everyone talks like this but IRL you would be getting as far away from that guy as possible along with me.

If you can admit that then yo can have an honest conversation

No one is gonna assume hey I bet that guy is trained professional and it's ok he's walking around like that maybee in Texas but not in most places. Ppl are smart and you can give these examples all y want on the internet but IRL most ppl know that someone walking around with a tool of death on the streets isn't right in the head and stay away
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #71
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Looks like 4chan already has people posting pictures of Sam Hyde as the shooter. People are so damn stupid.
Attached Images

Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #72
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think that is all imaginary!

If I see someone with a bow and arrow, a large knife or a gun walking around the streets I automatically assume that dude is totally crazy and I would get as far away as possible. I think on the internet everyone talks like this but IRL you would be getting as far away from that guy as possible along with me.

If you can admit that then yo can have an honest conversation

No one is gonna assume hey I bet that guy is trained professional and it's ok he's walking around like that maybee in Texas but not in most places. Ppl are smart and you can give these examples all y want on the internet but IRL most ppl know that someone walking around with a tool of death on the streets isn't right in the head and stay away
The problem is that your reality and my reality are not the same. Neither is wrong, they are just different.

You may feel that way walking down the street, but I don't. Where I live, gun ownership is around 85% of every household. Nearly 1 out of every 2 people living in my metro area has a concealed carry permit for a handgun. When I go into Target or Walmart, it is common for me to see several folks with an open carry weapon and many others that I can see 'printed' under their clothes. I live in a pretty rural and mountainous area and this is very common. Heck, nearly 1 out of 4 pickup trucks I see will have a gun mounted in the rear window just driving to work.

So, no, I don't ascribe to your train of thought, because that is not my reality.

It may be yours, however, and I respect that.

The question is - do you respect mine?
DonaldPump5409.00

07-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #73
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

I live in the south. I'm thinking it's Tuesday or any other day that ends in "y".

People down here walk around with knives on them all the time. As long as their not concealed, it's perfectly legal. The bow is a bit of a stretch but as I know bow season is approaching rapidly, I wouldn't be concerned. Now if there were a couple of bodies in his wake, I'd do something. At that point he/she/amorphous non-binary gender has effectively demonstrated ill intent.

I don't know if you've noticed but down in this part of the country, there aren't too many mass shootings. A large portion of the population is armed to the teeth and couldn't be happier to draw and let fly at an assailant. I'm not joking. At all.

Cheers-mk

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 3
DonaldPump5409.00
Run Silent11033.00
SoCalS2k276.50

07-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #74
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
When I go into Target or Walmart, it is common for me to see several folks with an open carry weapon and many others that I can see 'printed' under their clothes.
We can OC in PA. Never see it. Pretty sloppy to "Print"

I personally think OC is stupid. And I conceal carry
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #75
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I live in the south. I'm thinking it's Tuesday or any other day that ends in "y".

People down here walk around with knives on them all the time. As long as their not concealed, it's perfectly legal. The bow is a bit of a stretch but as I know bow season is approaching rapidly, I wouldn't be concerned. Now if there were a couple of bodies in his wake, I'd do something. At that point he/she/amorphous non-binary gender has effectively demonstrated ill intent.

I don't know if you've noticed but down in this part of the country, there aren't too many mass shootings. A large portion of the population is armed to the teeth and couldn't be happier to draw and let fly at an assailant. I'm not joking. At all.

Cheers-mk
You've see ppl shoot at each other in the street? Really? Well that is totally different then here I'll say that. If that happened here there would be a lot of yelling, people running and sirens everywhere. It would be all over the news for sure!

The ways it sounds reading your posts is that this is in smaller towns? Maybe it's ok in a smaller more community place but in big cities where half the ppl are totally insane I don't think it's ok. In your big cities you also see ppl just walking around with guns? Half the ppl here are totallly nuts, if they were armed then I think there would be a lot of bad outcomes here. I mean road rage here is so bad that I think if they were armed there would be a lot of problems

Maybee this is a difference of cities against small town or maybee a difference of states so that second amendment should be moved to a state level thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #76
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Cheers-mk
Yup - something to ponder for those who don't like to admit reality.

Number of mass shootings in the states I live in (listed two NC and TN, since I am right on the border).

TN = 5
NC = 2

Mass shootings in Gun restricted states:

CA = 39
OR = 16
NY = 19
Delta03117026.00
MKSixer13947.50

07-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #77
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
We can OC in PA. Never see it. Pretty sloppy to "Print"

I personally think OC is stupid. And I conceal carry
There really isn't much crime where I live, so lots of folks don't go through too much trouble to hide their CCW. As an example, I carry a 3.5" 1911 Sig. I'm a pretty small guy. It's nearly impossible for me not to print in the summertime wearing a t shirt and shorts.

In addition, you will see a decent amount of open carry here, primarily due to the fact I live in a mountain town and there are a lot, and I mean a lot of bears. As such, many of the hunters around here or those who work on a farm or in the fields will carry a large caliber revolver that can't be worn IWB. If they need to swing by a shop to get some feed or to pick up lunch between fields, they don't typically bother trying to sort that out, they just go in and get what they need. They aren't 'showing off' - it's just the way of life for many of them. I don't open carry, but am fine with the reasons many here do.
      07-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #78
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Yup - something to ponder for those who don't like to admit reality.

Number of mass shootings in the states I live in (listed two NC and TN, since I am right on the border).

TN = 5
NC = 2

CA = 39
OR = 16
NY = 19
My wife and I are originally from Murfreesboro, and I was raised in Williamson county. Miss TN sometimes, cheers
Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 3
Run Silent11033.00
MKSixer13947.50
Now_Rudi5704.00

07-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #79
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In your big cities you also see ppl just walking around with guns? Half the ppl here are totallly nuts, if they were armed then I think there would be a lot of bad outcomes here. I mean road rage here is so bad that I think if they were armed there would be a lot of problems
Are you talking Los Angeles as your big city? I don't travel down there all that often, but I ALWAYS see guns whenever I get out of the car. You must not be looking very well. And no, I'm not talking about LEO.

Not as often up here in the 'Nard, but I still see.

No, *I* don't carry. I've never been able to secure CCW.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11033.00
MKSixer13947.50

07-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #80
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
In your big cities you also see ppl just walking around with guns? Half the ppl here are totallly nuts, if they were armed then I think there would be a lot of bad outcomes here. I mean road rage here is so bad that I think if they were armed there would be a lot of problems
Are you talking Los Angeles as your big city? I don't travel down there all that often, but I ALWAYS see guns whenever I get out of the car. You must not be looking very well. And no, I'm not talking about LEO.

Lived in LA for 46 years, I've never seen anyone walking around the street with any type of firearm. Where are you going that you see this?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #81
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
There really isn't much crime where I live, so lots of folks don't go through too much trouble to hide their CCW. As an example, I carry a 3.5" 1911 Sig. I'm a pretty small guy. It's nearly impossible for me not to print in the summertime wearing a t shirt and shorts. They aren't 'showing off' - it's just the way of life for many of them. I don't open carry, but am fine with the reasons many here do.
Yea understand.

Im 5'9 and weigh 140. I can carry my G42 in a pocket holster in shorts and no one knows. I just prefer it that way.

But different regions, different methods. Obviously both gun friendly States. Sucks for those to live in a portion of a free country that isn't free.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent11033.00

07-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #82
vreihen16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:

TN = 5
NC = 2

CA = 39
OR = 16
NY = 19
For argument purposes, can you please get the population of each state and calculate the mass shootings per 1,000 people? I have a feeling that the ratios may be closer than you expect.....

07-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #83
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

lol I've never seen anyone with a gun in LA cmon. Maybee in movies. You a drug dealer?? 😀
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13947.50

07-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #84
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Killing is a decision and an act. The tool is immaterial. Gun's, knives, bow and arrows, sling shots, spears, garrotes, blunt instruments, axes, etc., make the heinous act easier and faster...more convenient.

Guns do have a higher propensity for accidental killing which is a major caveat.

The decision to kill is made in the mind long before the act is committed...the tool is just that...a tool.

Cheers-mk
The type of guns used in this killing are not needed by anyone, save the military who defend our country.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #85
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
You've see ppl shoot at each other in the street? Really? Well that is totally different then here I'll say that. If that happened here there would be a lot of yelling, people running and sirens everywhere. It would be all over the news for sure!

The ways it sounds reading your posts is that this is in smaller towns? Maybe it's ok in a smaller more community place but in big cities where half the ppl are totally insane I don't think it's ok. In your big cities you also see ppl just walking around with guns? Half the ppl here are totallly nuts, if they were armed then I think there would be a lot of bad outcomes here. I mean road rage here is so bad that I think if they were armed there would be a lot of problems

Maybee this is a difference of cities against small town or maybee a difference of states so that second amendment should be moved to a state level thing?
I've seen 2 shoot outs in my entire life. Both thug fueled. One was when I was in college and the other when I was a bit younger.

As far as people carrying firearms and using them, there was a guy absolutely wailing on a local LEO to the point that his life was probably in danger. A citizen walked up, killed the assailant and saved the LEO's life.

People here are armed to the teeth. And since I'm from Louisiana...the Original LA , we have a much smaller population than even Los Angeles. More people live in Los Angeles county than live in the entire state of Louisiana!!

Last edited by MKSixer; 07-31-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:16 PM   #86
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
The type of guns used in this killing are not needed by anyone, save the military who defend our country.
It's a cosmetic affect, my friend.

Do you remember the turbo look 911's?

Appreciate 1
Run Silent11033.00

07-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #87
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

People want to regulate things they dont have any understanding of. If they knew what they were talking about wouldn't be forcing regulation, weird how that works.
Appreciate 2
vreihen16486.50
MKSixer13947.50

07-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #88
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lived in LA for 46 years, I've never seen anyone walking around the street with any type of firearm. Where are you going that you see this?
You've never tailgated at Dodger stadium or the Fabulous Forum???

No I'm not selling drugs there either

Ever had breakfast at The Pantry
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13947.50
Run Silent11033.00