XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Consumer Reports FINALLY testing X1

They posted a preliminary report with video. Looks like they'll post their official test report soon.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...olarizing.html

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

As a rule, I tend to ignore pretty much everything CR has to say on the subject of automobiles. But I have to say they're spot on with this one. I am curious to see what kind of fuel economy they manage in their testing since the results of us forum members seem to be all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I don't get the comment about the steering being heavy. I have a SDrive28 with no special option for steering. It doesn't feel heavy at all to me. I've seen that comment elsewhere and all i can think is, they must be driving a model with the Servotroinic or something, because I have no sense at all of my X1's steering as being heavy.

I test drove the RDX, which they seem to recommend over the X1, and I am glad I got the X1. Great power, great MPG (I am getting 27 avg. regularly in Los Angeles city driving) and it doesn't look like anything else on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

The steering IS heavy...just the way I like it!!!
I can see how some people don't care for it. They're the same people that don't give a ratzazz about driving dynamics. They'd be much happier in a CR-V or Highlander. Nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I don't get the comment about the steering being heavy. I have a SDrive28 with no special option for steering. It doesn't feel heavy at all to me. I've seen that comment elsewhere....
Yes, you've seen this elsewhere. The sDrive has the light, more fuel efficient Electronic Power Steering while the xDrive gets the heavy old school hydraulic steering. Servotronic is optional on x28i and standard on x35i and makes steering lighter at low speeds
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
As a rule, I tend to ignore pretty much everything CR has to say on the subject of automobiles. But I have to say they're spot on with this one. I am curious to see what kind of fuel economy they manage in their testing since the results of us forum members seem to be all over the place.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

I'm looking fwd to the final review. CR has rated several bimmers quite highly in the past, so it should be interesting.

Vince
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
As a rule, I tend to ignore pretty much everything CR has to say on the subject of automobiles.
I dropped my CR subscription because they were more about how easy it was to fit baby seats and bemoaning how extras cost money, rather than how the cars actually handle, and what the quality is like.
According to CR, we should all be driving Hyundais and KIAs full of children who watch DVDs from the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Quote:
I don't get the comment about the steering being heavy. I have a SDrive28 with no special option for steering. It doesn't feel heavy at all to me. I've seen that comment elsewhere and all i can think is, they must be driving a model with the Servotroinic or something, because I have no sense at all of my X1's steering as being heavy.

I test drove the RDX, which they seem to recommend over the X1, and I am glad I got the X1. Great power, great MPG (I am getting 27 avg. regularly in Los Angeles city driving) and it doesn't look like anything else on the road.
xDrive28 steering is much heavier than sDrive28. sDrive - electric, xDrive - hydraulic.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

One Subaru Outback-owning member of our staff got out of the X1, shook her head, and said "I can't believe this car costs this much."

Um, it costs that much primarily because it's not a Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
One Subaru Outback-owning member of our staff got out of the X1, shook her head, and said "I can't believe this car costs this much."

Um, it costs that much primarily because it's not a Subaru.
Actually with so many other cars getting so ridiculously expensive base X1 price of 30K is very attractive. My wife did not believe that she could get a beemer just for 30K. X1 is very fine car regardless of what others say.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
Actually with so many other cars getting so ridiculously expensive base X1 price of 30K is very attractive. My wife did not believe that she could get a beemer just for 30K. X1 is very fine car regardless of what others say.
Also keep in mind that for Subaru, you have to choose the Limited line in order to be able to add some of the extras that all X1s can have, like GPS or mobile phone connectivity. So you're at almost the same base price range, for a vehicle with far less power and no better gas mileage. Your dog may like it, though.

If you want lots of equipment, the Acura RDX is arguably a better buy than either Subaru or BMW - more is included, and they don't nickel and dime you as much. But you also have fewer choices.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I dropped my CR subscription because they were more about how easy it was to fit baby seats and bemoaning how extras cost money, rather than how the cars actually handle, and what the quality is like.
According to CR, we should all be driving Hyundais and KIAs full of children who watch DVDs from the back seat.
yeah, real men watch their DVDs from the back seat 760Lis , what do they know about cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
I don't get the comment about the steering being heavy...
Me neither. I have to laugh every time I see such comments. Apparently these staffers are so young they have no concept of life before power steering. My '86 911 (non-power) requires five times the steering effort (okay, slight exaggeration). But I have no problem driving or parking it. I'm very happy with the steering on my xDrive 28i and would not want it any lighter.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
I've owned a number of BMWs of the last 15 years ranging from E39 5 series, E70 X5s an E83 X3 and a couple of F01 7s. The X1 I have has ludicrously heavy steering by comparison to anything else I've had.

It's would be my only gripe about the vehicle.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
I've owned a number of BMWs of the last 15 years ranging from E39 5 series, E70 X5s an E83 X3 and a couple of F01 7s. The X1 I have has ludicrously heavy steering by comparison to anything else I've had.
In other words, you have never had a car without power steering.
Trust me, the X1s steering is very light and loose compared to cars with straight rack and pinion. Calling it "ludicrously heavy" is only true from your point of view.
Having grown up with unassisted steering, my arms are used to it, and the heaviness of the steering helps me know the vehicle's speed. So I would have preferred it to be heavier, and that I could have gotten the 35i without Servotronic.
But I don't call it ludicrous that they don't cater to my specific wishes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
I'm looking fwd to the final review. CR has rated several bimmers quite highly in the past, so it should be interesting.

Vince
Please don't use those three letters here.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Our X1 35i has lighter steering than previous 135i and M Coupe and feels about the same as the E46 M3 and slightly lighter than the E36 M3. It's of course much lighter than the non assisted Miata or Exige and heavier than multiple Audis. It fits the nature of the car quite well, I certainly wouldn't want it any lighter.

As a side note, it has much less torque steer than the Audis or even an STI, I was crazy about getting an xDrive car but have been pleasantly surprised at how neutral it feels and how little intrusion the system has on normal driving or gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Having grown up with unassisted steering, my arms are used to it, and the heaviness of the steering helps me know the vehicle's speed. So I would have preferred it to be heavier, and that I could have gotten the 35i without Servotronic.
But I don't call it ludicrous that they don't cater to my specific wishes.
Too true. My first BMW was a gray market tii with quick ratio steering...loved that feel. Wish I still had it...ugh!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

hah what a marooon. Complain about iDrive, complain about the shifter. I guess this guy just doesn't like BMWs. He did have a valid point or two about the vehicle, but I would throw this one out as too biased a reviewer.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
nospam
Captain
Rep

It's all about what you are used to. My wife moved from a 2007 Honda Accord with overboosted steering to a 128i and felt the steering was stiff at first. I've gone through E36, E46, and E90 3 series cycles. I also drive a Honda S2000 which has hardly any hydraulic assist compared to BMWs...so no complaints from me.

When we test drove the X1s it was my wife that said she didn't want servotronic (i was willing to compromise for her sake) and now appreciates the steering. I do believe the thick M Tech steering wheel of the M Sports makes steering easier than the other wheels. Our X1 x28i is easier to steer than the 128i.

I don't think the reviewer is biased. The shifter is counterintuitive. I love the iDrive but it takes some getting used to. The business radio without iDrive is simply pitiful.

Edit: I recently learned that my S2000 has speed sensitive electric (not hydraulic) steering assist! I have a 2001 which apparently has a shorter steering ratio (13.8:1) and heavier steering effort compared to models 2004+ (and every BMW I've ever driven). I've always preferred the BMW steering racks but never could explain why until now. The short ratio and steering effort don't bother me, so it must be the EPS.

Last edited by nospam; 04-19-2013 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
nospam
Captain
Rep

I feel that the Acura RDX is the best "value" in the class...I'd be surprised if CR concludes differently.
Appreciate 0