XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
You might think that, but data is valuable. Mined data on your electrical and fuel usage may be sold to companies looking to target sales of new HVAC systems, solar panels, or energy efficient windows to potential customers. Sure, that may seem harmless, but what about the data collected from thermostat models that can track if someone is in the home? Do you really want data being collected on when or not you are home, then being analyzed and possibly sold to other companies?

Not to get too off topic, but think about the many fitness monitors people are wearing these days. Some of those are cloud based, and just think of how valuable health data on individuals would be to the right client. "Why did my health insurance just go up?"
Exactly. Even beyond that. With Google being the predominant search engine, imagine you searching on something and having your search results skewed based on data collected about you through their various devices that can be influenced by back door deals with companies willing to pay to have their sites be first on the search list.

Beyond this, has anyone thought what else these devices are doing on your network? I doubt anyone has spent anytime throwing on a packet sniffer to see what is happening on their network with these devices. I have had this very situation happen to me. DirecTV to be exact. What triggered my indepth investigation was a network printer I was using on my home network. Xerox Phaser 8560MFP/D to be exact. These printers use solid stick ink to print and every time the printer wakes up from sleep mode ink is wasted as the heater elements fire up to precondition the ink sticks for printing. These ink sticks are not cheap. So imagine my irritation when this printer was being woken up from sleep mode every 15 minutes. No one was sending print jobs or accessing the printer during these times. I threw a packet sniffer on and capture some data. To my surprise, the offending IP was a DirecTV DVR hitting my printer. And reading through the packet payload, I was seeing multiple HTTP GET queries pulling stats off of my printer about the web server version and such. So the big questions are why is a DirecTV DVR probing my network and why is it collecting data on specific devices? Since finding out this revelation, all of my DirecTV DVRs have been isolated/walled off from the rest of my network via VLAN and firewall segregation.

And then there's that hacker element. If you think your data is safe, you have something coming to you. Imagine some hack that grabs all this data and gets sold to the criminal underworld. Not only will they most likely have some geolocation of where your home is, they'll have a large historical data set of when people are most likely home, and a good guess as to whether your home is worth "investigating" based on power consumption usage.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3450.00
      07-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

A huge fan of the Ecobee! Had it in our previous house and after the 1 year service agreement to not modify our builders thermostat, I will wiring in the latest from Ecobee! I prefer it's interface over the Nest. Tons of excellent reviews.
      07-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #25
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Another happy NEST user
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #26
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

I got this one and I like it. I was not looking for anything fancy. You can control it from your phone and set up programming. Has weather info and stuff.

https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/pr...mostat-rth9580
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #27
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have 2 Lennox iComforts to go with 2 Lennox a/c's in our primary residence. I like them just fine but presume they only work with Lennox HVACs.

We put a deposit on a vacation condo recently and it is supposed to come with a Nest thermostat.
      07-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #28
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
+1 for the Nest. Never had an issue with mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #29
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Honeywell basic with no internet access. It is a smart thermostat because I tell my kids to set it while sitting on the couch.

Not a fan of anything "smart" in my house. If it connects, it can be hacked.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      07-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #30
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

We have used a Honeywell WiFi thermostat for the past 5 years and have been very pleased. It was like $129 and does everything a Nest does. I don't remember the model but there were many models available on Amazon at the time of the purchase. You could easily have paid over $300 for a few Honeywell models but this has work flawlessly so far. Full disclosure we do have the NEST fire/Co2 detector.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #31
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Honeywell basic with no internet access. It is a smart thermostat because I tell my kids to set it while sitting on the couch.

Not a fan of anything "smart" in my house. If it connects, it can be hacked.
Does that include you? Sorry you teed it up so well. Have a great weekend.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #32
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
Does that include you? Sorry you teed it up so well. Have a great weekend.
Nice one. I pay the Nigerians that send me emails to administer my firewall rules. Can't figure out why my mouse keeps moving around without me touching it though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #33
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
If I may veer slightly off topic, I'm super happy that I finally found a high-voltage WiFi thermostat solution for my electric radiant heat.

https://shop-us.getmysa.com

Tip: don't be a tool and use the rectangular goof plate with a nest thermostat. You'd be amazed how many installers use them even in new construction. Too many people apparently think that's a required part.

Attached Images

07-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #34
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
In response to the original topic, I'd suggest considering a thermostat solution that communicates with either your smart home capable alarm system, or your smart home control system (like Control4, Savant, or URC's Total Control). This would enable your HVAC settings to potentially become part of a scene. A popular example would be to have your HVAC system adjust itself when you enable Arm Away on your security system. My personal Alarm.com service provides geo location so you could have the alarm notice you enter a geo fence and tell your thermostat you're on your way home autonomously. I love the geo fence feature for triggering my Away lighting scene so I'm always sure all my lights are off when nobody is home.
      07-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #35
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I don’t care if they collect data, I highly doubt anybody gives a flying “F” about my heat or a/c consumption. I’m not that important

You might think that, but data is valuable. Mined data on your electrical and fuel usage may be sold to companies looking to target sales of new HVAC systems, solar panels, or energy efficient windows to potential customers. Sure, that may seem harmless, but what about the data collected from thermostat models that can track if someone is in the home? Do you really want data being collected on when or not you are home, then being analyzed and possibly sold to other companies?

Not to get too off topic, but think about the many fitness monitors people are wearing these days. Some of those are cloud based, and just think of how valuable health data on individuals would be to the right client. "Why did my health insurance just go up?"
Honestly, I couldn't care any less than I do about that.
      07-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #36
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat. I reluctantly bought it as I don't like any cloud based solution. I'm smart enough and have the equipment to be able to provide secure access into any network I manage. That said, Honeywell was a compromise for me as they're big enough where I wouldn't worry about them going under and they're not so large where they've got ulterior motives. I've had a Honeywell WiFi thermostat at my vacation property for about 6 years no. No issues what so ever. I have an app on my smart phone which allows me to control the system from in home or away. The system has email alerts on problems such as Internet connectivity being lost and inside temperature being too hot or too cold.
Same.

Don't bother wasting extra money on a Nest, etc. OP. Your needs are basic and the Honeywell will do exactly what you want it to without any unnecessary bells and whistles.

This if you have a basic heating/cooling system:
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-P...honeywell+wifi

This if you have a dual stage heatpump, etc.
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-R...honeywell+wifi
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #37
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I'm going to go with a Honeywell. I'll wait till Prime days to see if there is a sale
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #38
nlkccom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i AW

Nest
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #39
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat. I reluctantly bought it as I don't like any cloud based solution. I'm smart enough and have the equipment to be able to provide secure access into any network I manage. That said, Honeywell was a compromise for me as they're big enough where I wouldn't worry about them going under and they're not so large where they've got ulterior motives. I've had a Honeywell WiFi thermostat at my vacation property for about 6 years no. No issues what so ever. I have an app on my smart phone which allows me to control the system from in home or away. The system has email alerts on problems such as Internet connectivity being lost and inside temperature being too hot or too cold.
Same.

Don't bother wasting extra money on a Nest, etc. OP. Your needs are basic and the Honeywell will do exactly what you want it to without any unnecessary bells and whistles.

This if you have a basic heating/cooling system:
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-P...honeywell+wifi

This if you have a dual stage heatpump, etc.
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-R...honeywell+wifi
Hopefully the first one would be put somewhere where you never have to see it. Unfortunately, you have to hang them where you can see them. Big hunk of ugly plastic with fisher price buttons that I wouldn't want hanging on my walls with my art
      07-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #40
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
You Nest guys are not saying which one you have. I see some of them are near $300. Fuck that
I have the original from when they were first released (and well before Google bought them). I love it. works really well, even 6 or so years on.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #41
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t care if they collect data, I highly doubt anybody gives a flying “F” about my heat or a/c consumption. I’m not that important
My only reservation is that if someone hacks it, and sees that your thermostats have been on "Eco" for 3 days, they might presume you're away and think it's a good time to rob your place.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #42
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

i have nest
paired with my Liftmaster 8500W
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #43
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:
I don't care if they collect data, I highly doubt anybody gives a flying "F" about my heat or a/c consumption. I'm not that important
My only reservation is that if someone hacks it, and sees that your thermostats have been on "Eco" for 3 days, they might presume you're away and think it's a good time to rob your place.
This isn't an attack, but actually an honest question. How do you envision this working?

Would thieves specializing in hacking nest thermostats be randomly trolling in search of thermostats in Eco mode for an extended period of time? When they find these systems, I guess they would begin prospecting the homes for potential theft?

Perhaps it would work the other way... Thieves prospecting a home they want to break into would hack into the nest thermostats for confirmation that the HVAC system is in Eco mode, thus indicating nobody is home?
      07-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #44
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
This isn't an attack, but actually an honest question. How do you envision this working?

Would thieves specializing in hacking nest thermostats be randomly trolling in search of thermostats in Eco mode for an extended period of time? When they find these systems, I guess they would begin prospecting the homes for potential theft?

Perhaps it would work the other way... Thieves prospecting a home they want to break into would hack into the nest thermostats for confirmation that the HVAC system is in Eco mode, thus indicating nobody is home?
If they hack Google and get the database of *every* Nest thermostat that's ever reported back, they could filter that and get a list of every thermostat that's been in eco mode since x date, and refine that to their local town.

I'm not talking them hacking the individual thermostats, I'm talking able them hack "home" where all Nests report back to.
Appreciate 0