XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
demojac
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1 20D X-drive

X1 and iPhone4 Y-cable / docking

I got my X1 20DA x-drive (and first BMW ) two days ago with USB / connectivity, docking, nav-pro. I was looking forward to having proper connection for my iPod touch ver 1, and my iPhone 4. The dealer told me that the docking cradle for iPhone 4 won't be available until late January so in the meantime i got a Y-cable which according to him should do the same trick.

When I connect my iPhone to the Y-cable it displays a message saying it might not be fully compatible with the car. I am able to play music through the external devices / AUX, and the phone charges, but I have to control the music from my phone which is awkwardly lying in the tray in front of the gear lever. My understanding was that I could control the music from the iDrive?

I thought maybe this is a problem with iPhone 4 not being compatible, so I tried connecting my ver 1 iPod touch. This had the same problem. It also charges and plays music through AUX, but no control that I can find?

Does anyone know if this will be different with the docking cradle when this is available? Does the docking even play music through AUX? From what I can find in pictures it looks like the docking only has apple 30-pins connector, not 3.5mm jack?

Also Bluetooth works fine for calls, but is it possible to get messages / emails in the car display? There is a menu option for messages but it just says "no messages"
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
OliNZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWx1

have u got the extended mobile music connectivity option?
If u do u should be able to select songs using idrive
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Nonpont
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Nice car. I just picked up an X1 myself. The only way you can control your iphone would be to use a USB cable. A 3.5mm jack just allows you to use the BMW as a big speaker with only volume control. With that said, I connected my iPhone 4 via USB and it did not work...however, the dealer said that it should....I will have to tinker and hopefully get it to work without the pricey BMW usb cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
demojac
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliNZ View Post
have u got the extended mobile music connectivity option?
If u do u should be able to select songs using idrive
Yes, I have the extended music connectivity option, but not able to select songs. Where do you control this? From CD / Multimedia external devices?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
demojac
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpont View Post
Nice car. I just picked up an X1 myself. The only way you can control your iphone would be to use a USB cable. A 3.5mm jack just allows you to use the BMW as a big speaker with only volume control. With that said, I connected my iPhone 4 via USB and it did not work...however, the dealer said that it should....I will have to tinker and hopefully get it to work without the pricey BMW usb cable.
Hmm.. try it before you buy it. I got the pricey USB cable but it did not work either. Maybe in a future software upgrade for the car...?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
demojac
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpont View Post
I now got it to work with the iPod touch using the Y-cable with USB and AUX connected. I upgraded my iPod touch, then reconnected it, and now I find "iPod" in the CD/Multimedia menu. I can browse music by artist, album or songs - works fine they way I expected it to. My iPhone 4 still has the same problem, upgraded it to ios 4.2, no change.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Nonpont
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Good news and my mistake, you are right about the "official" BMW cable. I guess I may have to buy one. I have experience with a knock off or 3rd party cable. Surprises me that the orginal iphone cable does not work.
Appreciate 0